HKPRO Forums banner

VP9 Slide Release Issues

8K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  JonFrost 
#1 ·
I am used to shooting Glocks and 1911s with a thumbs high and forward position on a handgun. With that being said I am having issues with my finger riding/accidently bumping the slide release and causing the pistol not to lock back on the last fired round ( with ficcohi and other practice ammo). I have changed from the small grip panels to the medium with hopes that this will alter my grip, for which it has helped.

Has anyone else has this problem? Is this going to be a training issue to overcome, because I would hate to get rid of the pistol.

I like this pistol better than Glocks/M&P/etc but this might be a deal breaker.

#2 ·
This is a problem that many have with many models of HK pistols. Personally, I do. There are alternative slide release levers available for the P30 and P2000/P2000sk (the latter, I believe, also work in the HK45 series) but I am not aware of one yet for the VP9. I might be wrong about that.

#4 · (Edited)
Train to keep your strong hand thumb off of the slide/frame. this way you will have a more reliable grip position. This problem is not Hk specific, you might induce the same malfunction in Sigs and xdm's.

#7 ·
If you a right handed, try to cover your right thumb with your left thumb over. Problem will be resolved. Grip became very firm and comfortable; it is work for me on P30

#11 ·
I am used to shooting Glocks and 1911s with a thumbs high and forward position on a handgun. With that being said I am having issues with my finger riding/accidently bumping the slide release and causing the pistol not to lock back on the last fired round ( with ficcohi and other practice ammo). I have changed from the small grip panels to the medium with hopes that this will alter my grip, for which it has helped.

Has anyone else has this problem? Is this going to be a training issue to overcome, because I would hate to get rid of the pistol.

I like this pistol better than Glocks/M&P/etc but this might be a deal breaker.
Those are nearly the exact comments and "fears" I had after my first range time with the VP9. It's probably still in the Range Report room. With encouragement from HK members I watched a couple of vids, went over my grip with a qualified instructor, we changed a few things and off I went. No probs since. You'll get used to it. It's an amazing pistol.

#13 ·
I'm lefty and for whatever reason I've always shot both thumbs down. I've shot mostly USPs and an FNP. I've never relied on a slide "release" and I never will due to the fact that all pistols are different. I've always treated all slides as if they only have a lock and pull my slide back to release.
This allows the most consistency, especially if you are a righty shooting off hand and the pistol doesn't have a right side release. Or if you are a lefty and not relying on using your index finger to use the slide release like some people do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.