HKPRO Forums banner

Which Pistol should I LEM?

775 views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  hkguy007 
#1 ·
I have two that I am considering. USP .40 and USP .40 Compact; both are bone stock right now. One is getting the LEM treatment but can't decide which one to do it to. Which one would you do and why? One is 2009 built and the other is 2014 built. Which would save me more $ on buying the components?Both are DA/SA Safety + decocker (variant whatevers). I know this is a dumb request, but I can't decide which to do so I have turned to you.

I carry both.

#3 ·
I suggest you do both. Having different triggers on your carry guns might pose a lil problem. The LEM is a totally different then sa/da. I keep all of mine the same for continuity. Unless you can shoot both phenomenally then stick with one platform.

#4 ·
Do I have to get a specific LEM bobbed hammer for the USP Compact 40? Or can I just use with the bobbed hammer is has now? That would shave a few buck right?

#8 ·
As to which you should convert to LEM:

It's difficult for a third party to provide thoughtful guidance without knowing how you use the firearms (e.g., do you carry one or both?) and what it was that has caused you already to conclude you are going to convert one to LEM. Instead of providing a long list, let me simply identify two:

a. I find the DA trigger pull particularly undesirable if one is attending a class where one is doing any material amount of weak hand only shooting. So, if you are going to take one pistol to that kind of training and there is any possibility that those running the training will contemplate that you shoot the first shot in DA (which I have encountered), I would LEM that one if you are not inclined divert classroom time to get into it with an instructor about your preference to do all weak hand shooting in SA.

b. If you carry one only, there is an advantage to converting the other (first).

The amount of time that people take to acclimate themselves to the lem varies materially. Some never do. Others are fine out-of-the-box. For me it was something over 1,000 rounds. It is not only a question of the feel of the trigger--the finger placement necessary to perform in a satisfactory fashion in a DA USP is different from that I need for the LEM.

So, if you carry one every day, do you want to convert that without knowing how long until you feel comfortable with the trigger and your precision using it?

If you are doing this simply to determine how good an HK-provided trigger can be, I would do the full size in match lem hybrid.

Best of luck with it.

#9 ·
Thanks man. I ordered the LEM kit and my plan is to do it to my Full Size USP, then take the full size hammer from that gun and put that in my USPc. And to your point, and it may sound crazy, but I actually carry my USPf and the USPc is my wife's nightstand gun. Eventually, I may LEM the USPc but keep the safety. We keep hers cocked and locked in her nightstand b/c she can't do DA pulls. If we are at the range, and its decocked, I have to manually cock it for her and set it down before she will shoot it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.