HKPRO Forums banner

P7M8... School Me!

4K views 28 replies 17 participants last post by  wallew 
#1 ·
What is all the fuss about here? I really like the looks of these alot, found one locally NIB w/ papers for about what I can tell they should be selling for NIB. Why are they worth the price of admission to somebody who is not a collector but uses these as tools? As far as I can tell it is a single stack gun with modest capacity, any other specifics I should be aware of? Trigger Specs? Manual Safety/Decocker? Frame Material? Testing Completed?

#3 ·
IMO, it's one of the better guns to carry. The biggest drawback is weight, it's steel in an era of plastics. After suffering problems with my Kimber SOLO at the range last week, I put it away in the safe. The question arose on which gun to carry now. My p7 won the discussion. The number of rounds isn't an issue for me. I just carry extra magazines. The p7 is one of my more accurate weapons; and I have several. The main feature, for me, is the operation of the gun. I carry it with a round in the chamber without concern of a ND (accidental?). The grip handle cocks and decocks the weapon. Pulling the trigger does nothing, unless the grip handle is depressed. One does not need to be concerned about a heavy trigger pull of a DA trigger, nor the risk of a SA "cocked and locked". The grip handle is a fairly heavy pull, m/b 10-12 pounds, but that's a full hand pull, not a trigger finger. It's easy to hold the grip handle depressed and then everything is SA. The trigger is reasonably light (4-5 pounds), smooth and breaks clean. It works the way it's designed; and is dependable and reliable.

#5 ·
True Story...I purchased first based on what everyone said, then after firing that acquired another immediately for a back up, then 2 more within a year (3 more, were you to count the P7K3 that I also picked up after becoming such a fan of the gun)

-HKBJJ

#6 ·
You can read all you want, but the light will not come on for you until you get your hands on one and make a trip to the range.
I highly recommend you attend one of my HK Pistol Operator Courses, as not only will you have the opportunity to shoot them, but you'll also receive a fairly detailed background presentation.

#10 ·
I'm glad to see this thread as I am in the hunt for one also. I've wanted one for quite some time but have never seen one in person let alone shot one. I scored the Holy Grail of USP's this week so it will be a little longer before I get one.

#11 ·
There are hundreds of source items out in the interwebz explaining how the P7 gas piston system works. pick a search engine of your choice and have at it.

I've carried a P7 of some form for many years. Last year, I made the decision to switch to the VP9 for 1 reason and 1 reason only - they don't make the P7 any more and it would break my heart if my P7 ended up rusting away in my blue-state police evidence locker in the event of a defensive use. I want to like the VP9. I really do. But it's no P7. and it's no P9S.

#16 ·
t would break my heart if my P7 ended up rusting away in my blue-state police evidence locker in the event of a defensive use.

In that event, if I could figure out how to care less, I would. I'd be perfectly happy overpaying for another one.

Do any of you recommend a Robar or similar refinishing for more worn, "bargain" P7M8s? Or try to find one in he condition you want it to be in?
James had mine refinished in Birdsong. It's great.

#12 · (Edited)
Here is as good a place to start as any. Here's another. If you're around the tristate area you're welcome to try mine.

(Also, since people are reading this, I still have an M8 box SN 111805 looking for the owner of its matching pistol. If anyone has it PM me. Lastly, thank you James for the refinish - it looks great.)

#17 ·
"that depends"
If your goal is collectible/safe queen, you should try to find one as close to NIB as possible. those are getting harder and harder to find. If you're looking for a shooter or a daily carry, get one that is sound, send it off to James (Marine0303)for confirmation of mechanical operation and have it refinished. I had a west german P7 trade in refinished in Roguard that held up well (I sold it a couple of years ago). Birdsong's Black-T get's high praises as well. For silver finishes, people seem to like either NP3 or chrome.

My carry P7M8 was refinished in Gray Guns SuperBlack QPQ which is a melanite finish. It looked great for the first couple of months, but the finish wore very quickly - much quicker than I expected. It showed more wear in 6 months than my roguard-finished P7 did in 6 years of daily carry and daily dry-fire practice. I'm told the surface protection of the QPQ finish is there even if the black color is gone, but if I had to do it over, I would have chosen differently on the finish. After seeing another member's Black-t P7 in the P7 finish thread, I'm seriously thinking to send My P7M8 off to Birdsong.

#20 ·
You know how there are tons of aftermarket improvements for 1911s and Glocks? And how there don't seem to be too many for the P7? There is a reason for that, and it is that the P7 is perfect as-is.

I bought a run-of-the-mill Glock 17 to keep with some of my gear or in the car or wherever because I had no attachment to it, and because well face it, they're everywhere and that round capacity is pretty awesome. After several months and a few range trips, I got very accustomed to it and was thinking it was a darn good pistol, and why did it take me so long to get around to buying one of these anyway? Then one day I grabbed the P7 from the back of the safe and that feel came right back to me, and the sudden and distinct difference between them was glaring. The P7 makes a Glock feel like a nail gun.

The P7 is...not as clumsy or random as a Glock. An elegant weapon for a more civilized age.

#26 ·
Like all the previous responses stated, once you fire one you will realize what all the hype is about. Actually hype is probably the wrong word to describe the accuracy, reliability, shootability and comfort of the p7. It is not for everyone, as some people love them others hate them. Once you fire one, you will fall into one of those categories. Majority fall into the love category, and have to find another p7 as once you have one, you are on the lookout for another.

#28 ·
it's the only firearm where I have more than 1 of the same model. Sure I have variations like a full-size USP in 9mm and a compact in .45, but the P7 is the only firearm where I have multiples of the same model - handgun, rifle, shotgun.

someone mentioned that on HKPro a while ago and it stuck with me because it was true for me as well.

#29 ·
I have a severe disease - it is called twoitis...
Which means I HAVE to purchase at least two of every thing I own up to a certain size.

Then one day I got a dose of THREEITIS...

But it has since passed, and I only need the cure for twoitis ... or perhaps just a readjustment from the power of three...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.