HKPRO Forums banner

P2000 vs. P30 vs. VP9

26K views 78 replies 37 participants last post by  Kyohte 
#1 ·
While I understand the differences between the P2000, P30, and VP9 on paper, I'm wondering how they shoot. Does anyone have experience shooting all three of them? How do the triggers compare?

#2 ·
I started with the P2000, then picked up a VP9 then the P30sk. I did not do well with the P2000 and the only reason I could think of was that it was thinner so it did not fit my hand well. I sold the P2000 still have two VP9s and the P30sk. All are excellent quality and good trigger just have to pick which fits your hand the best.

#5 ·
Interesting. I saw a P30sk at my LGS this weekend. The price was attractive, although the ergonomics look...interesting. I want to be able to fit a pinky on the grip for decent control. I learned that shooting an LCP without the magazine extension.

#3 ·
First: I have no experience with a P2000. I/we currently have three P30s, and I recently sold my VP9 (don't read anything into that -- the VP9 is a very good pistol, it just didn't fit in with our needs/desires).

The primary questions before anyone can give you solidly useful input:

What is your intended use? How comfortable are you with a striker-fired pistol?

If this will be a range toy, the VP9 has a sweet trigger, although an LEM P30 isn't far behind.

If this is a self-defense gun, are you comfortable with the light, short-travel striker trigger in the VP9? or would you prefer a longer travel (P30 LEM) or longer-travel, heavy-weight first pull (P30 DA/SA)? I'm not passing judgement on any of the three trigger types -- some like one, others like another. Point is, we need more info from you :)

#4 ·
The primary questions before anyone can give you solidly useful input:

What is your intended use? How comfortable are you with a striker-fired pistol?

If this will be a range toy, the VP9 has a sweet trigger, although an LEM P30 isn't far behind.

If this is a self-defense gun, are you comfortable with the light, short-travel striker trigger in the VP9? or would you prefer a longer travel (P30 LEM) or longer-travel, heavy-weight first pull (P30 DA/SA)? I'm not passing judgement on any of the three trigger types -- some like one, others like another. Point is, we need more info from you :)
I'm thinking about switching to one of these three for HD with some CC mixed into there.

I learned to shoot on a revolver, so I'm not bothered by smooth DA pulls, as long as they are reasonably light. The striker-fired pistols I've shot were fine as well. I'm not a huge fan of the DA/SA. Does the VP9 really have a good trigger pull? I've not been able to shoot one.

#9 · (Edited)
Own two P2000 357s and a P30 40.
All V1 Light LEM.
The triggers are pretty much the same to me.
No experience with a VP9.
But it's a striker - so it's going to be different.
IMHO - How they shoot is going to come down to personal preference.
You really need to try them out for yourself.

If the gun is primarily for concealled carry?
Believe the P2000 is the smallest of the three.
I prefer carrying the P2000 over the P30.
But that's just me...

#16 ·
P30s da/Sa

It's grip, weight, ease of operation, makes it one fine handgun. It's my choice. Vp9 trigger better shorter feel, but practice is half of the funn.
I have worked on my p30L quite a bit, I feel my trigger speed on the sa is just as quick as my trigger speed on the vp9, regardless of the reset length.

The p30 is a top shelf firearm.

#18 ·
I currently have the vp9, p30, p30sk. I had a p2000sk, but sold it when the p30 came out. I just found the grip on the p30 and p30sk a better fit for my hands. But the p2000sk 9mm can be bought right now for $549, so if I didn't have an HK I would jump on that deal.

#20 ·
The P30SK is the P2000SK on steroids. Same barrel length and weight. I've shot both of them side-by-side and the performance is identical.

With the P30SK you get the 27 way interchangeable grips with only 3 back straps interchangeable on the P2000SK. Also factory installed night sights on the P30SK.

If you can afford the extra $200 or so, then get the P30SK tricked with the night sights. If you are looking for a more reasonably priced carry firearm, then go for a used but well maintained P2000SK.

#21 ·
I've got all 3 that you're interested in and as the others said very subjective as to which you'd prefer.

In my case:

For CCW hands down the P2000 in V1LEM, this pistol is just about the right size, small enough for EDC and large enough to shoot in a high volume class. My favorite HK pistol.

For a range pistol, I prefer the P30Lover the VP9, there's just something about how the P30L feels. Now that mine's had the V0 trigger re-done by Lazy Wolf Guns, it's superior to my VP9 trigger. Even before that however I preferred the P30L to the VP9 and could get over the trigger reset. The VP9 is a solid pistol, it just doesn't feel as good to me as the P30L. Honestly my VP9 doesn't get shot that often and is now in loner/back-up status.

Chuck

#22 ·
I have a VP9. The trigger is fantastic for a striker fired gun.

I also have a P30SK with a LEM trigger. I have put an after market pinky extension on one of my magazines. I actually prefer shooting it without the extension. The grip is thick enough, and adjustable that controlling it with a pinky wrapped underneath is easy.

#23 ·
So many nice choices: so little money. I looked at all three before I decided which one had the features and felt right in my hand. I got a P30S V3 and use it for home defense and a range pistol. I have been very pleased. But, then i may have been just as happy with the other two.

I have other pocket pistols for ccws.

#39 ·
After shooting DA/SA firearms for a long time, and liking that trigger best, there's nothing wrong with HK DA/SA triggers. Just like everything else, you shoot, you get accustomed to them. Then again, it's the " make it easy for me" world. I suspect that the DA/SA haters can't hit the side of the barn with that trigger system. Some don't mind the long first pull, which isn't any different then every pull with DA only. Only difference is a bit of weight, but after that, the SA pull is like a 1911 trigger, super light and smooth. Just preference..........I prefer a 10# first pull, and 3.5-4# pull after that. Others prefer a 4.5-5.5# long pull every time.

#40 ·
I don't get the "HK DA triggers are terrible" thing. I only own HK guns, but in the little bit of DA shooting I've done with rentals and friends HK does not feel any worse. In fact I like it better than my buddy's Sig P226 which many seem to hold up as the golden standard of DA/SA triggers.

#41 ·
Own a P30 V3 no safety, decent single action but the reset is a little long, but not as long as some smith and wesson compacts.
has stock 5 lb trigger

#43 ·
I'm with a lot of others on this, can't go wrong with an HK period. Having said that, I know of a couple of people who really like the VP9. Although offered to shoot the thing, I passed and have since regretted it. I do prefer the P2SK over the P30SK. I too have noticed the decline in P2000 prices on the internet, can't say the same for LGS.

#45 ·
If you like hammer fired handguns, go with the P30 or P2000 (I prefer the P30 personally), if you want/like striker fired handguns get he VP9. You can mess with the LEM conversion on the hammer fired guns, making the trigger similar to a striker fired set up. Hell, if you really search you can get a VP9 and a P30 (prob a P2K as well?) for nearly the same price as many HK45's sell for...

#48 ·
Yeah, I actually like the .45 ACP more than the 9mm (from everything I have read, they're equally effective for SD; it's just a personal preference). However, the HK45 and 45c are noticeably more expensive than the VP9 and P2000. If I spend around $1000 on a handgun, I'm going to hesitate to really use it, and that would defeat the purpose of buying an HK.

#47 ·
P2000 prices dropped big time around here. There's a full-sized version sitting at the LGS for $629 and the compact version for...I forget. Can't be much higher, though. One of the shops near me sells at really low prices and moves a ton of inventory.

#51 · (Edited)
I don't think I recall seeing price reductions resembling what is happening now. I just got a P2SK with night sights and three mags for $680. This used to be the used price cost. Aftermarket stuff still seems high, but I would be interested to know what is happening. Once upon a time you could peg it with the value of the dollar. Anyway, I sort of wished I had gotten the P2000. It is a very nice pistol and not that different to carry vs the P2SK. I did have a USP in 40 that I did not care for, but have not owned a P30 or a VP9, but have heard the VP is awesome.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.