POA/POI Heinie Straight Eights on P30

Thread: POA/POI Heinie Straight Eights on P30

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default POA/POI Heinie Straight Eights on P30

Just had some Heinie Straight Eights (model 3950L) installed on my trusty P30. I have 9k rounds through the gun and it was well zeroed and shooting as expected with the factory sights.

With the new Heinies, it is shooting about an inch high at 5 yards and 4-5 inches high at 25 yards. This is with a center hold, top edge of front sight in center of target.

Given the sight height above bore, I would expect to be hitting about an inch low at 5 yards, and zeroed (POI=POA) at 25.

Attachment 107490
    Attachment 107498
    Attachment 107506
    Attachment 107514

I've heard others say that Heinies shot high on their Glocks and HKs, but this seems a little extreme to me and was not what I expected.

Anyone else have similar experience with Heinies on P30?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Looks like the photos I attached didn't come through on the original post. Here they are again.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails POA/POI Heinie Straight Eights on P30-img_20170418_202313_1492720949763.jpg   POA/POI Heinie Straight Eights on P30-img_20170418_202254_1492721003447.jpg   POA/POI Heinie Straight Eights on P30-img_20170418_201547_1492721041483.jpg   POA/POI Heinie Straight Eights on P30-img_20170418_165357_1492721060398.jpg  

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Is the top edge of front sight also inline with the top edge of the rear sight when you're on target? It took me a bit to get used to the Heinies on my P30 but my POI was also not as off as yours is.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

YVK
    Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Similar experience with Heinies on 30 and 30L. I don't remember which one shot higher but both shot high about 3 inches at 25 yards.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Just got back from another quick range session. Had someone else shoot it. He only shot at 7 yards, but hit almost exactly where I was hitting, about an inch high, so I think it is fair to say it's the sights and not me.

I have a habit of going to a cover hold or "drive the dot" hold at short distances, so this may take some getting used to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

FuZzzz, yes, as far as I can tell. Still adjusting to the new sight picture.

I find it less visually "busy" and I like the vertical dots. With the wide front sight on the stock meps, I found that I was slow on alignment and would often shot left. My eyes were going back and forth between the sight "blades" and dots and struggling to see the a"air" around the front sight on precision shots.

With the Heinies that doesn't happen. The dots seem to lines themselves up and it is easier for me to focus on the front sight and keep it centered in the rear notch. As the sight settles after a shot, I think I can read it's alignment faster with the Heinies than with three dots.

I'm centered horizontally, I just need to get the elevation down on the new sight picture. It's a big hold under at 25!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Try bringing the front dot down a bit. Maybe till they almost touch, like the name suggests...straight eight (as in make an 8 with the dots). Practice makes perfect and new sights are sometimes tough to master especially if you're not running all the same across all platforms. Good luck, keep us posted!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Very strange because this happened to me before. However, recently shot consistent groupings at 10 yards by having the top of the front blade be my point of aim. Then I went out 50 yards to shoot steel just for giggles and I didn't have to change my point of aim. Maybe it has something to do with the ammo? I can't explain this issue, which evidently I'm not alone in.

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Renz View Post
    Maybe it has something to do with the ammo?
    Different ammo will have different POI/POA. Hence why adjustable sights exist. Generally, heavier and/or slower bullets will print a little higher.
    Hidden Content

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得 箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Another range trip today. I was in a short range, so I only shot out to 15 yards. Didn't do any slow, precise fire. Instead focused on rapid fire at closer distances, tried not to over think it, and was able to get my brain and eyes trained on the new sight picture.

I've found that cheating the front sight down just a bit - not so far that the dots touch - works at closer distances. I've shot so much with a cover/drive the dot hold I have to be really conscious of the new hold, especially as I speed up.

I still need to figure out hold for beyond 15 yards.

I really like the sights and find them to be faster and easier to get on target than the stock three dots.

Regarding ammo and bullet weight, my initial testing was with Hornady 124 gr +P, Gold Dot 147 gr., and Freedom 147 gr. hollow points. They were all shooting high to various degrees.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails POA/POI Heinie Straight Eights on P30-img_20170421_152414_1492817616021.jpg  

Sponsored Links