+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: HK made the first polymer handgun right?

Very Senior Member

Default HK made the first polymer handgun right?

then how come glock has this on their site?

POLYMER
    Corrosion resistant, tougher than steel and still 86% lighter. More than 20 years ago, GLOCK pistols were the first industrially manufactured handguns with high-tech polymer frames.

or maybe the Hk ones weren't "high-tech"

well if you look into it all of glock's selling points are outdone by their competitors, and imo there's nothing safe about glock's 'safe action'...I like my double action thank you very much :] we all remember that video of the DEA agent or whatever bureau he was from in which he discharged a glock safe-action pistol in a classroom full of students while demonstrating his proficiency and training in his glock 'safe action pistol'. http://youtube.com/watch?v=MeGD7r6s-zU Anyway their plastic claim to fame would be true if the VP70 didn't come out some 20 odd years before. BUT to confound things even more, I pulled up the wiki glock page and found this:
    The Glock pistol design was not the first to incorporate a plastic frame. Heckler & Koch used polymer for their VP70 pistol frame in 1970. HK's innovation of polymer frames and polygonal rifling seem to have been influential in the Glock design. Still earlier, Remington introduced their polymer-framed Nylon 66 Rifle in 1959. This was so revolutionary at the time that Remington dyed the plastic brown to resemble wood and fitted a cosmetic sheet-metal cover on the receiver to make it appear to be made from steel. Further, the most extensive use of polymers in a pistol was in the Ram-Line Syn Tech Exactor pistol with a barrel made from steel-lined plastic.
    So there you have it.

Very Senior Member

i dont like the fact that they get away with lying to everyone though

HKPRO Professional

don't forget the plastic frame of the P9, I believe that came before Gluck too...

Powder Burn, I am not much of a Gluck fan either.... but to each his own...
    HK91
    HK94
    USC/UMP
    SL8/G36
    P7M8
    P9s .45acp
    VP70Z
    USP Tactical .45acp
    V51/HK51 clone
    HK45
    HK45c
    HK 416 10.5" upper
    GSG5PK
    P30LS
    HK45T (OD Green)
    VP9

just to add fuel to the fire, they market their pistols as 'safe-action' and yet we ALL remember the stories and reports of the now notorious glock kb. If it is dangerous to use non-factory ammo in the pistol, then its not too safe in my eyes, I like my +P handloads and i dislike pistols that can't handle em.
    http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/glock-kb-faq.html
    and heres another youtube one :]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vceh44UK-8I

...but don't get me wrong, its not a bad pistol. They're cheap, reliable, and parts & accessories are avaliable all over the place. Used glocks go for the low 300s. You can get 32 round magazines, lasers that replace recoil spring assemblies, tac-light mounts that double as holsters, etc etc. But like I illustrated in the previous 2 posts, they have their shortcomings and there are better designs/packages out there.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER

Quote Originally Posted by capone View Post
    i dont like the fact that they get away with lying to everyone though
    But they're not technically lying - the Glocks were the first industrially manufactured polymer games.

Everybody knows that HKs aren't manufactured by any industry - they're made by those little German Gnomes.

Ok, I'm not sure how they can justify that statement, unless there's something lost in translation. As translated into English, it looks to be flat out wrong.

Very Senior Member

well if you look into it all of glock's selling points are outdone by their competitors, and imo there's nothing safe about glock's 'safe action'...I like my double action thank you very much :] we all remember that video of the DEA agent or whatever bureau he was from in which he discharged a glock safe-action pistol in a classroom full of students while demonstrating his proficiency and training in his glock 'safe action pistol'.
    How is the safe action any different then LEM? I think the DEA agent is quite a poor example to say that glocks aren't safe and he would have shot himself in the leg with any gun because he pulled the trigger, whether it was DA/SA, DAO, safe action, LEM, DAK, SAO, etc.

Really liking this HK Stuff Member

I don't know Glocks have a tendency to fire when you don't want them to, that would make me believe they are definitely unsafe. I never had an H&K, 1911 or SIG fire when I didn't want them to.
    USPf .45 HE
    (2) USPc 9mm SS
    Expert 9mm with Jet Funnel
    P7M13

Gun Guild
    Whitetail Killers Hunting Forum

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER

Quote Originally Posted by vanderson View Post
    I don't know Glocks have a tendency to fire when you don't want them to, that would make me believe they are definitely unsafe. I never had an H&K, 1911 or SIG fire when I didn't want them to.
    The safeties on the Glock do not make them unsafe. They work quite well. But that agent in the video - what a fool. That "accident" happened because he brought a loaded weapon into a classroom, then didn't check the chamber to be sure it was empty, then pulled the trigger while pointing at his foot. Prior to that his handling of it was stupid as well. He obviously thought it was unloaded, but didn't check. And I know "Momma says stupid is as stupid does", but that was just stupid.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Links