HKPRO Forums banner

White vinegar to change barrel

9K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Tecumseh 
#1 ·
I read over on the sig forum and the M&P forum where some guys soaked their sig barrels and MP barrels in White vinegar and removed the black finish relatively easily. The after pictures looked pretty sweet.

http://mp-pistol.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=4233&highlight=vinegar

Has anyone tried it with the HK barrels? if so did it work?

Thanks.

#3 ·
In my never to be humble opinion, it's a vary bad idea. Vinegar is acidic, which is why it works to eat the black away, and acid and metal do not mix well. The acid will eat away at metal long after you thought you had it all cleaned up.
My cent and a half for what it's worth
Arthur

#6 · (Edited)
Vinegar is acidic. When I had an in-depth conversation with Virgil Tripp, about what he uses to strip the blue off parts before he hard chromes them. He told me he uses a gentle alkaline solution that does not harm the metal at all, he even said the parts can stay in the solution an extended time, for instance if the shop gets busy and he needs to leave the parts for another hour longer than he plans.

He said any one who plates firearms and uses an acidic solution to strip parts should be avoided al all costs, as it can compromise the metal, granted vinegar most likely wont do that much damage as its not that strong of a solution.

Removing the HE treated parts will take the metal down to the white (NOT STAINLESS). H&K are made of ordnance grade steel - white (bare)steel rusts very easy, thats why its blued...duh!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.