+ Reply to Thread

Thread: White vinegar to change barrel

Default White vinegar to change barrel

I read over on the sig forum and the M&P forum where some guys soaked their sig barrels and MP barrels in White vinegar and removed the black finish relatively easily. The after pictures looked pretty sweet.

http://mp-pistol.com/boards/viewtopi...hlight=vinegar

Has anyone tried it with the HK barrels? if so did it work?

Thanks.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

The finish on my Mark 23 is more like paint, so it might work on that---but I'd never deface that gun.

The P2000SK looks like a totally different treatment that looks more integral to the surface metal.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

In my never to be humble opinion, it's a vary bad idea. Vinegar is acidic, which is why it works to eat the black away, and acid and metal do not mix well. The acid will eat away at metal long after you thought you had it all cleaned up.
    My cent and a half for what it's worth
    Arthur

Quote Originally Posted by MaD HuNGaRIaN View Post
    The finish on my Mark 23 is more like paint, so it might work on that---but I'd never deface that gun.

The P2000SK looks like a totally different treatment that looks more integral to the surface metal.
    Bit bad by 'da HK bug
    hmmmm which one shall I get next?

Very Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Serpico1985 View Post
    I read over on the sig forum and the M&P forum where some guys soaked their sig barrels and MP barrels in White vinegar and removed the black finish relatively easily. The after pictures looked pretty sweet.

http://mp-pistol.com/boards/viewtopi...hlight=vinegar

Has anyone tried it with the HK barrels? if so did it work?

Thanks.
    Why would you want to strip the bluing off the barrel? For cosmetic reasons?
    Only the dead have seen the end of war. - Plato

Yes. purely cosmetic. What would be the best way for someone with no skills to remove the finish from a hk barrel to get it to a stainless steel finish?

Unrepentant HKHolic

Vinegar is acidic. When I had an in-depth conversation with Virgil Tripp, about what he uses to strip the blue off parts before he hard chromes them. He told me he uses a gentle alkaline solution that does not harm the metal at all, he even said the parts can stay in the solution an extended time, for instance if the shop gets busy and he needs to leave the parts for another hour longer than he plans.

He said any one who plates firearms and uses an acidic solution to strip parts should be avoided al all costs, as it can compromise the metal, granted vinegar most likely wont do that much damage as its not that strong of a solution.

Removing the HE treated parts will take the metal down to the white (NOT STAINLESS). H&K are made of ordnance grade steel - white (bare)steel rusts very easy, thats why its blued...duh!!
    Last edited by Kost; 08-29-2007 at 03:36 AM.
    The Spirit of God hath made me, the breath of the Almighty hath given me life

Very Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Serpico1985 View Post
    Yes. purely cosmetic. What would be the best way for someone with no skills to remove the finish from a hk barrel to get it to a stainless steel finish?
    I wouldn't do it. In addition to bluing, the USP barrel is covered with an anti-rust coating. Stripping off the finish would likely remove this coating as well.

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Location : Peoples Republic of IL, USA (Sure doesnt feel like it in IL though!)

Something about doing that at home is just unnappealing to me. I would rather send it out to a pro.
    Evil is always possible. Goodness is a difficulty. - Anne Rice

+ Reply to Thread

Links