HKPRO Forums banner

USP Compact .45 vs. Compact Tactical

12K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  99999 
#1 ·
Does anyone know the detailed differences of these two compact handguns?

I have my eye on that sweet looking Compact Tact and was wondering if I should just buy a regular compact and put the threaded barrel on it to save money. Is there other differences?

#3 ·
The new CTs come with raised sights and an o-ringed barrel as well. However, the o-ringed barrel is a mute point. As far as I know they are also shipping with 3 mags, tactical bags, and cleaning kits. Well worth the extra $$$ if you ask me.

#8 ·
Well - you do get almost .75" longer barrel because of the protrusion - so I would guess there's some accuracy to be had as well. And of course there is the unproven (fully) vortex flash suppressor going around - I'm going to give it a shot once I nail down my sighting. Can't mount that on a flat front.

#9 ·
There is absolutely no supporting evidence that shows a longer barrel is more accurate than shorter barrel. In fact, shorter barrels are more stiff and if anything, the shorter barrel with its increased stiffness has the greater potential for accuracy. You don't see BR shooters using 36 inch tubes. In the case of this particular handgun, that 3/4 inch of extra barrel will show no discernible difference in regards to accuracy, pro or con. The only thing a longer barrel will do is give you maybe another 45 fps (which is also inconsequential) and on some guns like most revolvers, the longer barrel will have a longer sight radius, which does help some shooters shoot better. But that is not the case with the CT. Sight radius is the same regardless of barrel length on this pistol.
One thing I did not mention before. The CT does have a greater "cool factor" which is very important to some shooters. If that is your game and it is worth it to you to spend the extra money just for what amounts to looks, then who am I or anyone else to say you should not get it. It's your money so spend it how you want and enjoy getting what you desire.

#10 ·
I like my CT, and prefer the velocity gain provided by the longer barrel without the added bulk of the larger slide. In a .45 ACP pistol I think any reasonable efforts to regain velocity are of value considering that 95+% of defensive .45 ammunition is calibrated for 5" guns. The advantage of the polygonal rifling in the 4.46" bbl preserves that velocity better than the 3.8" compact. That is an advantage.

Tim

#11 ·
I have to agree with both the last two posts.

Barrel length means nothing for accuracy, in fact, as long as it is long enough to stabilize the bullet, a shorter barrel is less prone to harmonics and vibrations that a long barrel experiences.

A longer barrel usually means a longer sight radius, while that does not mean more accuracy, it means the shooter can be a little less forgiving with the sight alignment and be more on target.

A longer barrel allows more time for the expansion forces to effect the velocity of the bullet. The faster the bullet, the less drop it will experience, so some might say that effects accuracy (yes all bullets drop at the same rate, the faster bullet just travels further), more by allowing you to be more forgiving with your vertical drop guess work.

The faster bullet WILL translate into more energy when it hits something. As for the claim of only 45ft/ps, I am would love to actually put two guns through a chrono and see. I have done ballistic gel with my compact and full size 40 and there is a huge difference, that said, either one would be devastating using the ammo i carry, I have 100% faith in my compact and I use it for daily carry.

No speaking of the .45 specifically, the size and weight of the round is less prone to minor fluctuations than a 9 or 40 which is more reliant in velocity to ensure expansion and energy transfer.

#12 ·
Excellent post everyone. I wanted something in .45 but I came across a deal on a compact .40. I spent my money on that and I am very happy about the power and accuracy of this gun. I am worried now though about over penitration now as I was shooting through steel doors with ease. Oh well, Ill get put the heaviest bullets in it.

I did come across a Sig p220 that was selling for a great deal but man are these guns ulgy. I think HKs are so much more sexy. My dream gun is still the Compact Tactical .45 but I will have to wait.

#16 ·
Actually, I have bought 6 of these guns now, and in every case, even just a couple of months ago, if I have them put on the tall night sights then I get the plastic case, if I leave it with the normal sights, then it comes with the soft tactical case. I figured that isn't so bad either... =)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.