+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Am I crazy? Thinking about going to 9mm instead of 40 S&W in p2000sk

Question Am I crazy? Thinking about going to 9mm instead of 40 S&W in p2000sk

I've been doing lots of reading about the p2000sk and the 9mm round vs. the .40 round. It seems most of you are pretty comfortable with rounds such as the Ranger T, DPX, etc in 9mm as far as CCW/SD ammo. I haven't owned a 9 mm though have shot them plenty. My biggest concern is the recoil in a smaller pistol such as the SK vs. .40. In fact, I have had thoughts of having the 9mm p2000sk as my carry pistol and then stepping up to the HK45 as my HD pistol later down the road as I loved my Glock 21 but I thought it to be a bit thicker in the grip section than hopefully the HK45 is. I am not married to my current Glock 22 but would certainly keep it until I am able to procure the HK45.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Very Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by allamricn View Post
    I've been doing lots of reading about the p2000sk and the 9mm round vs. the .40 round. It seems most of you are pretty comfortable with rounds such as the Ranger T, DPX, etc in 9mm as far as CCW/SD ammo. I haven't owned a 9 mm though have shot them plenty. My biggest concern is the recoil in a smaller pistol such as the SK vs. .40. In fact, I have had thoughts of having the 9mm p2000sk as my carry pistol and then stepping up to the HK45 as my HD pistol later down the road as I loved my Glock 21 but I thought it to be a bit thicker in the grip section than hopefully the HK45 is. I am not married to my current Glock 22 but would certainly keep it until I am able to procure the HK45.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
    The USP's do a very good job of controlling the recoil, I have not shot a P2000 but I'd assume they're very comparable. With practice I've learned to shoot my .40 just as well as anything else, So that'd by my choice to go with. To each his own though.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER

A 9mm? You're not serious, are you? Everybody knows, 9mm rounds have been known to bounce right off of wet puppy dog noses, and pink fuzzy bunnies. Not really bounce off, the bullets just come to a dead stop and fall to the ground.

Just ask anyone who's been shot with a 9mm, they'll tell you it doesn't even hurt. There are plenty of them still alive, no one is ever killed with a 9mm. It's just too wimpy of a round to do any real damage.

Think about it - a .40 is ONE MILLIMETER bigger in diameter. I can't believe you'd even consider such a thing.

Very Senior Member

To add a little more to the "stopping power" statment, I'll start by saying, bullets are bullets, and shot placment is everything.

Now that we're past that, The .40 can throw a heavier, wider round about as fast or faster than a 9mm. While 9mm may be "good enough" I will not argue that point at all. But the fact is, the .40 will have more knockdown power.

The P2ksk's spring setup really smooths the .40's snap out nicely. If you want multiple hand guns in one caliber that all feel pretty similar in recoil go with 9mm. If you just want one .40 I know you'll like the P2ksk.

Before I bought mine the only .40 I had fired was my friend's Beretta Px4 Storm and the snap was rough. I'm sure I could have gotten used to that part if it were my pistol and I was shooting it regularly. The trigger snap, on the other hand, was unforgivable! Love their 92's but after shooting the Px4 I'd never buy another Beretta hand gun w/o having shot it first. Well other than a 92!

Just my .02 for the little it's worth! :D

Byte
    P2000SK .40 v2
    Non HK
    P22
    Custom 10/22
    M1a SOCOM-II
    Yugo 24/47 Mauser
    M44 Mosin Nagant Affectionately known as ye 'ole Flame thrower!

Hi y'all new here, but long time looker.
    Back to the 9 vs 40, I've had to drawn the 9mm hydro-shock to protect my 3week old baby, wife, and myself in a robbery in one sat-night in california back in 94', Those two guys did't know what hit them. Both dead. Justify-homicide. Back to 9 v 40, Buy what ever you feel comfortable to control and shoot. Because those two didnot get up and complain Why I didnot shoot them with the 40 or 45acp.
    Hope it help...

I prefer 9mm and 45acp to the 40 S&W. I think good ammo with anything 9mm and up is going to be adaquate for defense. I carry Speer Gold Dot 147grn in my P228 and feel just fine with it. The 40 S&W is just too "snappy" for me. I can shoot it fine, but my follow up shots are slower compared to the 9mm and I feel that I'd be more accurate under stress with the 9mm.

However, if you are going to lay awake at night wondering if it is a powerful enough round, buy the 40 S&W. It must be a good defense round given its acceptance with the Law Enforcement community, but for me it is just plain harder to shoot well.

Very Senior Member

Just to add another flavor to your choice...

I'm considering a P2000sk in .357SIG. I'm confident this rd isn't going anywhere and I can always buy a factory sk .40 barrel for it if I wish.

Very Senior Member

Personally this is what I had to do to get the .40 into "acceptable" follow up shot timings. I threw away the whole "Firm but not tight" grip, By tightly gripping it I can reduce the muzzle climb to about 2 inches and have it come back down on target. I am by no means an expert shot or an IDPA pro, but I feel alot more comfortable with it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Reoze View Post
    To add a little more to the "stopping power" statment, I'll start by saying, bullets are bullets, and shot placment is everything.

Now that we're past that, The .40 can throw a heavier, wider round about as fast or faster than a 9mm. While 9mm may be "good enough" I will not argue that point at all. But the fact is, the .40 will have more knockdown power.

To reply to the original poster, no you are not crazy. I prefer the 9mm to the .40 because, in my observation, 9mm parabellum-chambered pistols are more reliable than .40 S&W-chambered pistols. I'll sacrifice a bit of power for greater reliability any time. With modern ammunition, the 9mm is a perfectly satisfactory defensive round. I normally carry a .45 ACP, but will take a 9mm over the.40.
    As to the above: shot placement is vital, but is not "everything";else we would all be fine carrying a .22 short. The bullet must hit a vital spot and hit with authority. There is no such thing as "knockdown power," as bullets do not knock people or animals down. People do succumb to the shock of the impact and the disabling damage that results.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Links