+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cleaning your H&K USP

Default Cleaning your H&K USP

Guys, this is my first handgun and I'm wondering how to clean it and what cleaning products to use...Any ideas??? Thanks in advance!

Unrepentant HKHolic

Read the USP Operators Manual cover to cover, it tells you how to clean it. I use a good quality solvent (Hoppes), and lube with Weapon Shield.
    http://www.weaponshield.com/page2.htm
    The Spirit of God hath made me, the breath of the Almighty hath given me life

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Follow the manual but I just use BreakFree CLP
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

lex ferenda (Moderator)

What caliber is it? If it's a .45, get yourself a .410 shotgun boresnake. If it's a 9mm or .40 S&W, get a boresnake made for those handgun calibers. I find patches and cleaning rods unnecessarily fussy and less effective. Wear a pair of latex gloves for easy cleanup. I also take a plastic garbage bag, cut it down the side and bottom to make a plastic sheet, and drape it over a table. When I'm done cleaning, I just bundle it all up for easy cleanup.

Spray or drip the CLP into the barrel. Run the snake from the chamber out the end of the muzzle. Pull it all the way through and repeat twice more. Field strip the gun (read how in the manual) and clean everything off with paper towels and more CLP. Leave a very thin film of CLP on the surfaces and reassemble. Do a search, this has been discussed at great length (and I'm one of the biggest offenders for rehashing the topic).

I recommend a product called Weaponshield CLP. It's not toxic like some other products, doesn't have a chemical odor, and makes subsequent cleanings easier. Breakfree CLP works well, too, though it has a smell and is marginally less effective than Weaponshield. It's easier to find, though.

Welcome to the forum, enjoy your HK, and shoot safely.
    HK45; P7M8 - AH.

Nothing in this post should be construed as legal advice, nor does this post constitute an attorney-client relationship.

Really liking this HK Stuff Member

I think the boresnake is fine for field use but when cleaning my guns at home I much prefer using a rod with bronze bore brush followed by a jag with a patch. It works as well or better than any other method.
    MPro-7 is a great cleaner, followed by your favorite lube or if you prefer using only a CLP, Weponshield is probably the best. In fact, I've been using Weaponshield exclusively on my HK45.

When you get your gun really dirty and full of sand, just disassemble it completely and throw empty plastic grip into sink and wash it with dish brush.

Cleaning guns with really hot tap water works nicely when you need to remove all sorts of dust, goo and sand, just let water flow and parts heat up in water, it'll make drying them with hair dryer easier. Remember to oil it properly afterwards. :)

http://www.streetpro.com/usp/detail/more.html

Breakfree clp has kept mine smooth and beautiful. its great stuff. They have it at basspro and usually any gun shop. I also use the "cleanbore" system for quick barrel cleans

Quote Originally Posted by Kost View Post
    Read the USP Operators Manual cover to cover, it tells you how to clean it. I use a good quality solvent (Hoppes), and lube with Weapon Shield.
    http://www.weaponshield.com/page2.htm
    I really, really like Weapon Shield. I saw a noticeable difference in the lubricity of my pistol after applying it.

I don't use it for cleaning, I use Hoppe's #9 for that, but for lube, Weapon Shield is tough to beat.

I agree with Miltech being over hyped. I didn't even find it to be a good lube.

Really liking this HK Stuff Member

Quote Originally Posted by so_fla View Post
    I really, really like Weapon Shield. I saw a noticeable difference in the lubricity of my pistol after applying it.

I don't use it for cleaning, I use Hoppe's #9 for that, but for lube, Weapon Shield is tough to beat.

I agree with Miltech being over hyped. I didn't even find it to be a good lube.
    What was it about Militec that makes you say it's not a good lube?
    I've found it to be an excellent lube, maybe even the best I've ever tried, in terms of lubricity. Nothing else makes my guns run as smoothly.
    It's corrosion protection is apparently not the best, but lubricity wise, it's really good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by harrydog View Post
    What was it about Militec that makes you say it's not a good lube?
    I've found it to be an excellent lube, maybe even the best I've ever tried, in terms of lubricity. Nothing else makes my guns run as smoothly.
    It's corrosion protection is apparently not the best, but lubricity wise, it's really good stuff.
    Compared to Weapon Shield and Royal Purple's Synthetic Gun Oil, they outdistance Militech by a wide margin. Even FP-10 and M-Pro 7 did a better job on *my* guns. YMMV

I just have a hard time grasping using a product where you have to apply it then heat it up to activate it.

But if Militech works fine on *your* guns, great. Use Militech by all means. As long as it works for you on your guns, what I say about other products that work for me is moot.

+ Reply to Thread

Links