+ Reply to Thread

Thread: LEM trigger

Default LEM trigger

I have read the thread about converting to LEM trigger (big bore sticky), what exactly is an LEM trigger and how is different from the regular trigger and what are the benefits?
    "Sir, you are drunk"
    "Indeed I am Madame, and you are ugly. But in the morning I will be sober"

For my its the same trigger pull every time, and a very short reset
    Last edited by airborne_trooper; 05-24-2008 at 09:03 AM.

Thanks for the reply but I have know idea as to what an LEM trigger is; can you help?

Desperately Needs Treatment

It's sort of like a really light double action. Have you tried the search function?
    Last edited by SIGtrarian; 05-24-2008 at 12:36 PM.

I did a search and most of the stuff I found was about changing the parts out. I couldn't really find a thread that explaind what it did. If you do please forward to me, thanks.

The LEM trigger is exactly what SIGtrarian described: a light DAO trigger. It's a great system, really. Every trigger pull will feel the same (unlike a DA/SA trigger, when the first pull is long and heavy, and the follow-up shots are shorter/crisper). Try to find one to rent or shoot and it will become very clear with use.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER

I love it, but it takes mucho practice. When it comes it is really nice.
    Scouts Out

Unrepentant HKHolic

In answer to the question, “What exactly is the LEM trigger?” here is a brief synopsis.
    In the P2000/SK pistol, as well as an LEM USP/C or LEM HK45/C, the LEM trigger is a DAO light action trigger that has the same trigger pull weight first shot to last.
    The first shot will have a long but light take-up and then will release the hammer and fire the pistol at a factory pre-set pull weight. In the standard LEM V2 version, the trigger releases the hammer at about 8 pounds of pull. In LEM V1 the pull weight is 5 pounds and LEM V4 the weight is 7 pounds. The various weights are achieved by trigger return spring and firing pin block spring changes. V3 is not an LEM trigger but is SA/DA and it functions and feels the same as the V3 trigger in the USP/C pistol.

The LEM light action system uses a two-piece hammer arrangement such that when the slide is racked or a round is chambered (by racking the slide) the lower, unseen part of the hammer is brought to full cock position and the hammer spring compressed. The hammer “spur,” or top part of the hammer, follows the slide forward and the pistol appears to be “decocked” but the pistol is still in a 90% cocked condition.
    When you shoot, as you pull the trigger the hammer will come back to the full cock position. As you reach the release pull weight, the trigger will release the hammer and the pistol will fire. If you hold the trigger fully to the rear as the pistol cycles the next round, you only have to let off the trigger .3 inch to reset the trigger. At that point the same amount of trigger pull weight, except for the long take up, will fire the pistol again. You will notice that after the pistol fires the hammer will be in the full cock position if you did not release the trigger, but as you release the trigger to reset the trigger, the hammer goes forward about 1/3 the way. After reset, as you pull the trigger again the hammer comes back again to full cock. If you release the trigger all the way then the hammer will go all the way forward into the “decocked” position, but remember, the hammer spring is still fully compressed and ready to fire and will do so with a light, but long pull of the trigger. The hammer spring cannot be decompressed without pulling the trigger so if you wish to do this, there had better not be a round in the chamber!

The LEM also has repeat strike capability. If for some reason the pistol does not fire, and you wish to try to ignite the round again, you do not need to rack the slide to pre-load the hammer spring. You only need to pull the trigger again which will fully compress the hammer spring and release the hammer. However, starting from the fully uncompressed hammer spring condition the pull weight will be between 11 and 13 pounds, similar to the DA pull on the non LEM USP/C. After the round fires or you rack the slide (which pre-loads the hammer spring), you will again have the light LEM pull.

The difference between it and the standard trigger is with a V1 standard trigger, you can start from a hammer down condition where the first shot will be DA and have a 10-11 pound pull weight as you fully cock the pistol and fire it. After firing, the hammer will stay back in the full cocked position even if you release the trigger fully and all shots after that will be in a SA mode with a trigger pull of about 4-5 pounds unless you decock. The reset on the SA trigger is roughly .254 inch but if you release the trigger all the way, you have about 1/2 inch of take up before firing the pistol at the lighter SA trigger pull weight (if you release the trigger all the way on a LEM trigger you also have the long take up before you fire the pistol again).
    Many do not like the transition from DA heavy first shot pull to follow up SA light trigger pull.
    If you release the trigger after shooting the hammer stays fully cocked and in SA mode, so if you want to decock it you use the decocker to safely drop the hammer and release tension on the hammer spring. You cannot release tension on the hammer spring with the LEM trigger without pulling the trigger, which will fire the pistol if there is a round in the chamber. There is also no manual safety on the LEM trigger but on the USP/C and HK45/C a manual safety can be retained with the LEM trigger. No safety can be added to the LEM P2K/SK firearms.
    Join the NRA
    On the 8th day God created HKs.
    Beware speaking with a sharp tongue as you are apt to cut your own throat.

Well, that answers that. How easy are they to install and do I really need one?

+ Reply to Thread

Links