+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Newbie needs help

Default Newbie needs help

Hello, I just discovered this forum and was hoping that a few members would be able to help me out. I currently carry a XD9sc for CCW but rented a USPc 9mm the other day and couldn't believe how nice it shot. I was convinced that my next gun would be a Sig p229, but I am heavily reconsidering that now. Anyways I was wondering about the uspc's safety features. I know that in v1 the uspc has a manual safety/decocker but was wondering if it has any sort of internal safety to ensure that the firing pin cannot accidentally set off a round. For example the Beretta px4 when on safety actually moves the firing pin so that it cannot engage. The XD has a blocking plate. Does the uspc have anything of the sort, or is the firing pin still lined up to strike the bullet?

Also my other question is in regard to the finish. I like the looks of two tone, but was wondering what finish (two tone or blue) wears better and will hold up better over the long run. Also any additional info that anyone can bring to my attention - things that I need to know about the uspc would be helpful. Again I have shot the uspc but do not know much about it.

Thanks, I appreciate all the help. Sorry if these questions have been asked before.

Brent

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER

There are actually 2 blocks - first, the decocker doesn't drop the hammer all the way so it can hit the firing pin. It stops half way in between. Then the firing pin also has a separate block, so it can't be pushed forward unless the trigger is pulled back. It's a little unnerving to watch the hammer drop when there's a round in the chamber, but it's safe.

As for finish, the stainless steel slide wears much better. When the edges wear, there's just more stainless steel underneath, so you can't see any difference. But it does still show light scratches, they're just the same color as well. But I still like your basic black better than twotone, but that's just me.
    Last edited by AviatorDave; 12-10-2008 at 03:52 AM.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

If you like a trigger where every pull is the same like your XD, you should go for the USP c with the LEM option. In the rare case of a misfire, with the LEM it will revert back to traditional DA so you can get a second try to ignite the round. Not a big deal to me, but just wanted to mention it. With the LEM, there is usually no safety levers(you can have the traditional HK safety lever installed if you wanted), but as AviatorDave stated so well, there is a firing pin block that does not allow the firing pin to travel forward unless the trigger is pulled. If the trigger pull is too heavy with the LEM from the factory, you can always change the trigger return spring with the standard trigger return spring that comes with a HK P2000. The part number is listed in one of the sticky posts at the top of the forum pages. It is not very difficult to change the trigger return spring yourself, but if you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself, a gunsmith should do the job for you very cheaply and will take him less than 10 minutes to do it. Hope this helps you out.

Love my USP's with LEM

I appreciate all the help. One question, when saying that there is a block that will not allow the firing pin to release unless the trigger is released, exactly what does that mean. Is there something physically holding the pin in place, or something blocking it from the round - like an XD has?

Thanks.

Yes if you take the pistol apart and look at the area that holds the firing pin there a circular pin that can be pushed up(or down if its in your hand) when you pull the trigger there is a bar that pushes the pin up allowing the firing pin to move forward when struck. My Sigs have a similar mechanism. I am unsure about the XD's system but i would imagine it is similar, except that the XD does not use a hammer(obviously)

Sureshot-

Want to make sure I am understanding you correctly... If there is a pin that need to release the firing pin in order to strike the round, then if for some reason the gun was dropped or hit there is no way that it could go off? IF so, then there is no way that a round could go off unless the trigger is actually pulled.

Also, you mentioned that you have/had a sig. I rented a p226 the other day and while shooting I could feel the slide move ejecting the casing and reloading, is this normal for a Sig? It is hard to explain, but it was almost like the slide was moving slower than it should and the shooter could feel it. My buddy noticed it as well. I recently found a Sig Pro 2022 on sale and have a chance to get it for an amazing price but am unsure after the feel of the 226 that I shot.

Thanks again.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

gtrplyr,

You are understanding sureshot perfectly about the firing pin block. The pistol can not fire unless the trigger is pulled. As far as the feeling you are getting with the SIG. It could be a few things. 1 the gun might have been dirty. 2 might have been clean but unoiled. 3 could have been shooting a round that doesn't feed as smoothly as most usually do. 4 the recoil spring could have been worn out or of the wrong rating. All of the above problems can easily be corrected.

Thanks for the help. Sounds like the H&k is everything that I am looking for. As for the Sig it's good to know that this could be something fixable. One person told me that this was common to Sigs, but I was hoping not as I would like to add one to my collection. So anyone else have this type of occurrence with Sigs?

Thanks.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER

Quote Originally Posted by gtrplyr View Post
    Thanks for the help. Sounds like the H&k is everything that I am looking for. As for the Sig it's good to know that this could be something fixable. One person told me that this was common to Sigs, but I was hoping not as I would like to add one to my collection. So anyone else have this type of occurrence with Sigs?

Thanks.
    Might want to check sigforum.com for that. Nobody here knows nothin' about nothin' that ain't HK. :D

(And even if they do, we like to limit discussion in this group to HK subject matters.)

Understood, I appreciate all the help. I am due a holiday bonus from work and am thinking that a nice USPc 9mm in two-tone might be coming home with me soon. :)

Thanks!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ads