+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Review: HK P30

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

The trigger is a fine combat trigger. It's smooth with no gritty spots. You can learn on this trigger and improve. 1.5 inch groups at 21ft and 2 inch groups beyond. I ran my p30L against a cz75b with a 3lb. single action trigger with a miossi sear and a sig 226. Let me tell ya that all 3 were on par. Now stack on the HK reliability and it's a mighty fine pistol with the best ergonomics. If you really need the butter, send it to Bill Springfield and he will set you up right.
    HK P30L LEM V0 9mm, Gray Guns RRCP Package, Heinie 8's, Slant Pro, QWIK.

Really liking this HK Stuff Member

I agree,....no gritty feeling to the DA trigger,..which I found on all my USP's. I would like to see a lighter recoil spring,.and lighter hammer springs,..I think the lighter hammer spring would lower the DA trigger by a couple pounds,...I would say go from 10-11lb,...to 8-9lb. This in turn may lower the SA by 1/3lb or so...
    Hotdogs give me energy so I can fight off my demons.

Youtube page;
    http://ca.youtube.com/mohepworth

Why a P30 and a P2000? Good question. Right now, the P2000 has LEM, P30 doesn't and probably won't make it into country in quantity before O-man and his congress bans them.

I really don't think the P30 is that great of a combat trigger either. Sorry NiceHK, we don't agree on this one. Granted, I didn't shoot it; but from what I can tell, it is a step backwards from ANY other HK I've shot. Since I'm a huge fan of LEM, that DA pull really stinks this gun - it's a triple and not a home run with this. The SA has WAY too long of reset for nice FAST double taps. HK needs to learn from Glock on this. I realize it'll never be Glock short because it's a hammer and not striker fired weapon; but that SA reset is LONG!! In fact, almost everybody has HK's number on the DA trigger.

What HK needs is an LEM (P30 in particular) that has the V1 USP reset and with 5lbs of pull. Then...they'd have something special. Why is it that when after shooting a friend's Rohrbaugh R9s, I came across dumbfounded as to how they can produce such a smooth and still relatively heavy DAO trigger that was leaps and bounds better than HK. The R9 has 8lb trigger that feels like 4 or 5...how is this? I'm sure there is a logical explanation, but somebody give it to me.

anybody know of any trigger modifications that can be made to make this servicable trigger a good trigger?

I would not consider it a "bad" trigger by any means. Just takes some getting used to. Which is why I always read reviews from "I shot my 1st 200 rounds through XXX Pistol today" guys with a grain of salt.

I've personally seen Larry Vickers make 130+ yard hits (Repeatable) on a reduced sized IDPA A zone steel target with his P30. All DA only, he decocked after every shot. Larry gives the P30 his highest endorsement for a service grade 9mm handgun. I've got another friend who cares a P30 everyday and he can match anybody for accuracy.

From those who owns both the P2000 and the P30, do you confirm or infirm that both are internally similar in engineering and that differences are external design and ergonomy !?

I'm planning to maybe trade my P2000 for a P30 ... but my P2000 fits me like a glove ... so what's the reason if they are similar weapons with different wrappings ?

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER

christian812,

Why do you want to get rid of your P2000? It's a great gun. If it fits you like a glove and hits what you aim at without any failures of any kind, seems like it is just the ticket. Just keep it and get the P30 when you can. Just my advice which is worthless in many circles.
    I have both and wouldn't consider selling my P2000. I had an offer last week but declined. It can't be replaced for the money I would get.
    Last edited by Bentonville; 01-25-2009 at 01:36 PM.

christian812, if you are going to shoot your gun at greater ranges, the P30L would give you a greater sight radius. You should be able to shoot the gun more precise.

The P30 is available with LEM Trigger, at least here in Germany. HK calls it CDA for "Combat Defence Action".

From the Heckler & Koch - Group Website:

The P30 Trigger Variants

P30:
    Innovative safety trigger with concealed cocking piece in the spurred hammer. Centrally located de-cocking button, with a constant Combat Defense Action (CDA)* trigger pull of approximately 20 Newtons (4.5 pounds), without operation of the de-cocking latch, and defined let-off point.

P30 V1:
    Innovative safety trigger with concealed cocking piece in the spurrless hammer, without de-cocking button. Constant CDA/LEM trigger pull of approximately 20 N (4.5 pounds) and defined let-off point.

P30 V2:
    Like P30 V1 but with CDA/LEM trigger pull of approximately 32.5 N (7.3 pounds).

P30 V3:
    Conventional single action/double action (SA/DA) trigger without cocking piece in the hammer with spur and centrally located de-cocking button.

P30 V4:
    Like P30 V1, however CDA/LEM trigger pull approximately 27.5 N (6.2 pounds).

P30 V6:
    Conventional double action only (DAO) trigger without cocking piece in the spurrless hammer. Constant DAO trigger pull of approx. 39 N (8.8 pounds).

Not all variants available in some regions.

* also known as Law Enforcement Modification (LEM)

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Voodoo View Post
    in your opinion, why a P30 and not a P2000? In fact, why does HK manufacturer both?
    +1

I always wondered same thing myself...

Like the P30 capacity and wished X-grip would make something for the P30 mags to fit the P2000 for range use, would be dandy.
    HK45 Compact - V1 (German)
    Hk P2000 LEM - .357SIG (LE)
    Hk P2000 LEM - 9mm
    Sig Sauer P226 - 9mm (W. German)
    Rossi R462-R2 2" - .357 Magnum
    Hk -Fabarm FP6 12 ga. pump
    Saiga 7.62 (AK100 series variant)
    Saiga .308 (AK100 series variant)

Quote Originally Posted by Va_Dinger View Post
    I would not consider it a "bad" trigger by any means. Just takes some getting used to. Which is why I always read reviews from "I shot my 1st 200 rounds through XXX Pistol today" guys with a grain of salt.

I've personally seen Larry Vickers make 130+ yard hits (Repeatable) on a reduced sized IDPA A zone steel target with his P30. All DA only, he decocked after every shot. Larry gives the P30 his highest endorsement for a service grade 9mm handgun. I've got another friend who cares a P30 everyday and he can match anybody for accuracy.
    Absolutely. It is all about your ability to master the system. The trigger is smooth and there is nothing about it that will corrupt your ability to control it. It really boils down to your ability and the amount of time you are willing to invest into your skills. I have noticed that it comes down to your awareness of detail. The ones that are able to pick up on the smallest movements, slight shifts of weight, fine pressure manipulation, can really shoot about anything accurately off the bat. It's developing that high level of awareness that is the trick.
    Last edited by NiceHK; 01-26-2009 at 01:18 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Links