HKPRO Forums banner

Rotary Night Sights for PTR91?

5K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  stubbicatt 
#1 ·
Has anyone seen Rotary Night Sights for PTR91/HK91 etc?

I've seen night sights that are just a notch rear, but none that are rotary.

At the very least I'd like to still have a peep rear, not notch.

#3 ·
Meprolight and Trijicon both offer a similar arrangement.

The front sight insert is replaced by a similar ring and post, the post having a tritium vial in it.

The rear sight adjustment locking screw is removed, and a stamped metal piece with two "ears" is inserted to the rear of the drum, and the adjustment locking screw reaffixed. On the ears there are two tritium vials.

It works great with the "V" notch as a hasty sight, but just like a regular day sight when using the apertures.

I like my Meprolights.

#5 ·
I'm trying to figure out how to install the front sight post described by stubbicatt. I just bought my PTR and I've never taken the front post out. Looking at this picture of the Meprolight sight:
http://www.meprolight.com/default.asp?catid={4A3BEEC7-1D2F-40A1-8E4B-866F984CA2E8}&details_type=1&itemid={04FB73C9-82CE-49FA-AF26-BCF416F172E4}

I don't understand how that can fit into the slot in the front sight assembly. the slot must be only .05" wide, but the tritium portion of the Meprolight assembly must be closer to half an inch wide. Can someone explain how this installation works; do I need a new front sight assembly?

Also, I can't tell from the picture: is the ring around the post wider than the standard front sight ring (i.e. will this decrease the size of the "aperature" around the front sight)?

#6 ·
Sure. In the triple tree (sight tower) under the front "globe" there is a hole which runs parallel to the bore. Inside that hole is a roll pin. You drift the roll pin out with a punch, and gently remove the sight insert, which is really a simple steel stamping.

Then you replace the outer "ring" portion of the sight insert with the "ring" that comes with the night sights. The night sight post then is inserted into the triple tree (sight tower) so that it lines up with the replacement ring and the roll pin hole. -It really is a simple install, and when you see the kit, it will all make sense to you immediately.

Then simply reinstall the roll pin, and drift it in securely.

As far as what it looks like, I cannot tell a difference in the diameter of the interior of the front sight globe when all is said and done. However, I did need to make some elevation adjustments to the rear sight once the night sights were installed.

HTH.

#8 · (Edited)
I don't know. I haven't tried it. Seems to me that the standard apertures on the drum sort of take over at distance, and in order to really use them, you need some sort of ambient illumination.

The design of the Meprolight sights is such that the stamped rear ears with lights in them are static and appear to the user on the edges of the rear sight drum. There is no elevation adjustment available to the user. While I haven't actually shot the things in the dark, I'd guess this is more of a point blank range sort of setup. I would be loath to try to take a shot for precision in the dark in any event, and I seriously doubt that beyond maybe 50 meters or so you would be likely to hit anything anyways, at least with these sights.

I shall have to try a night fire with the things and see how they do. Thing is, the range where I go is at about 10,000 feet in an arid climate so the stars and moon provide a lot of illumination. --Oh well, I'll try it I guess. And report back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.