+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: BOLT/CARRIER GROUP HK91

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Default BOLT/CARRIER GROUP HK91

Is there a way to tell if a bolt carrier group for the HK91 is semi auto or full auto? I see advertisements and claim their F/A but what are the differences and how can one tell the difference bewteen the two? Thanks

Default F/A vs 91 carrier

91 semi on left - G3 FA on right
    Notice how the 91 left slot is milled all the way to the end of the carrier and the G3 slot milling stops before the end of the carrier. The G3 slots ate not milled through so the carrier can catch the F/A trip lever.
    Hope this helps
    Solutions are not the answer.
    -Richard M. Nixon

Thanks Griffon. I thought there were more differences then that, like the bolt was made a bit different or the metal was treated or something. Can't remember now.

Are there any issues with running the FA carrier in an SA gun? Are there any ATF issues?

If there are issues, is it just a matter of maching the slot?

Cheers!

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER

Quote Originally Posted by ryanm View Post
    Are there any issues with running the FA carrier in an SA gun? Are there any ATF issues?

If there are issues, is it just a matter of maching the slot?

Cheers!

No issues, and there's not even any need to machine the slot. Without the trip lever and catch in the trigger pack, the ramp at the back does nothing.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Default F/A bolt

correct me if I'm wrong, but a F/A bolt carrier won't change anything unless you use a F/A trigger pack. The F/A portion has to be removed from it. As long as the trigger pack is clipped and pinned u should be good.
    Its not phyiscally possible to have the F/A parts in clipped/pinned trigger group, there is no room, is that correct?

What are the primary differences in the PSG-1 bolt carriers and the standard G3/PTR/HK91 carriers?

I just ordered a pair of the Rhinemetalls. I know there are the forward assist serrations on the PSG groups, but is that the extent of the difference? I like the fact that the Rhinemetall carrier is one piece, I'd like to have the forward assist serrations cut and then the carrier EXO coated.

Additionally, will I need to buy the MSG and PSG bolt heads and extractors for my conversions?

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER

Quote Originally Posted by streetrod View Post
    correct me if I'm wrong, but a F/A bolt carrier won't change anything unless you use a F/A trigger pack. The F/A portion has to be removed from it. As long as the trigger pack is clipped and pinned u should be good.
    Its not phyiscally possible to have the F/A parts in clipped/pinned trigger group, there is no room, is that correct?
    The first part is correct, it's what I wrote in the post above. But the second part is not correct. A F/A pack could be clipped and pinned, it's just illegal unless the F/A parts (the trip lever and catch) are not removed and the pivot hole for the catch either cut out or welded closed.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER

Quote Originally Posted by ryanm View Post
    What are the primary differences in the PSG-1 bolt carriers and the standard G3/PTR/HK91 carriers?

I just ordered a pair of the Rhinemetalls. I know there are the forward assist serrations on the PSG groups, but is that the extent of the difference? I like the fact that the Rhinemetall carrier is one piece, I'd like to have the forward assist serrations cut and then the carrier EXO coated.

Additionally, will I need to buy the MSG and PSG bolt heads and extractors for my conversions?
    Yes, the "silent bolt closure device" serrations are the only difference in the carriers. The bolt heads are very different, the PSG1 has a different extractor, it also needs an extra cut in the trunion. The only other difference is that a true PSG1 carrier has the trip lever ramp cut away, just like an HK91 carrier. The Rheinmetall carriers still have the full auto trip lever ramp intact.

But Rheinmetall carriers aren't truly one piece. They're still welded together, just in different locations. On the standard carriers, the entire top tube is one piece, and is welded to the main body of the carrier. On a Rheinmetall carrier, the length of top tube that is the same width as the body is integral with the body, but the tube extension is then inserted into that top tube portion and spot welded at 3:00, 9:00, and 12:00 near the back of the tube area. I like them as well, but it's just a different method of mfg. It's not like you'll ever see a top tube break off of a standard carrier.
    Last edited by AviatorDave; 08-02-2009 at 08:38 PM.

Are the Rhinemetall carriers slightly heavier than the standard bolt carriers? I'm hoping to pick up some extra weight in the carrier group with them. I don't want to venture a guess as to how much difference there would be, but I am curious.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links