+ Reply to Thread

Thread: SL8/G36 what to do?

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Default SL8/G36 what to do?

I did a SW conversion years ago to standard G36 barrel length and it's still just too long for me to shoot offhand comfortably. It has the C-stock and dual optics, so it's cool, but I was thinking of a few options and need opinions as I just never get around to shooting it. So of course I could just sell it, if so, would I do better to part out the cool stuff? Next option I like is to cut it to K length. I don't have the funds to go C or want to hassle with moving the gas port, or buying a new assembly etc. Even though the LOP doesn't bother me too much I was also then going to go to a red dot/holo type sight which could be fun. I'm either selling or trying to get an M4 (for lack of better comparison) feel to this gun.

Desperately Needs Treatment

LOP kills the utility of the G36 conversions. I went fixed stock on mine using epoxy and pinning and never looked back. Nothing saying you couldn't do the same to yours, and it gives the overall profile of the standard G36 length, but no folder.

To me, function is more important that having a folding stock on a long-barreled rifle.
    Last edited by LongDuck; 08-05-2009 at 06:17 AM.
    Who else thinks the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms is a convenience store?

Have gun, will travel

I had to pull my stock block and switch to the Hera stock block due to the length of pull. I really don't love the look of he M4 stock on it but it is ridiculous to try to shoot with the other stock on it. Putting a nice ergo grip on has been nice but it is still a little front heavy. I plan on going to a K barrel my self, just to fix it. I can't post attachments yet or I would show you a pic.

H&K Certified Armorer

If being too long you mean the barrel, keep in mind that the SL8 utilizes a full heavy target barrel. So even cutting the 1" or so off to get it to factory G36E length does not change the "front-heavy" trait. If you weant to shave it down considerably, then yes, you'll have to replace the barrel with a K+extened FH (for 16") or have the barrel re-profiled or cut down to 16" (or both).

Ultimately, the SL8 barrel is just simply heavy. Gonna have to loose the fat one way or another.
    Dakota Tactical (07/C2)
    H&K Certified Armorer - USP, MP5, HK416, UMP, G36, BTG

www.dakotatactical.com
    www.facebook.com/DakotaTactical
    twitter.com/DakotaTactical
    youtube.com/DakotaTactical
    instagram.com/DakotaTactical

War does not determine who is right - only who is left. ~ Bertrand Russell

Have gun, will travel

I was planning on switching to a standard K factory barrel because of the weight of the SL8 barrel. It shoots sub MOA with 75 grain match ammo at least out to 200 (I have only checked for sub jackrabbit any further), I'm just not sure I need that with an assault rifle. Either option with the barrel is just so expensive, I can have a new pistol for the cost. That's why I've been thinking about selling to buy a nice pair of USC conversions.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

I have the barrel shaved down already, so it's only little off from where I want it, and why I mentioned the K length.

LongDuck I also don't really care if the stock folds, so how did you get such a nice rear stock on yours?

+ Reply to Thread

Links