+ Reply to Thread

Thread: SL8/XM8 Conversion?

Really liking this HK Stuff Member

Default SL8/XM8 Conversion?

I woke up this morning and had a strange idea...wouldn't it be feasible to outfit an SL8 to look like an XM8? I know the parts doesn’t exist, but If an American company came out with them....say lower, stock and so on(and maybe so it took AR mags?) I think it could be done in a way that complies with 922r parts count...IDK, what do you guys think?
    THE WATCHER

Desperately Needs Treatment

I'd be totally into that. Finding parts for a template, and materials.. Kind of a big project. I figure it'd make $4,000+ for a G36 Conversion look cheap :P
    Used to own: HK4 (.32/.22), VP70Z 9mm, P9S 9mm, P7 PSP(A/Nds), P30LS LEM, VP9, MP5A2-PCS, HK91 (Namibian), Saudi Tan G3, PTR51-PCS, PTR-91 GI
    Mark 23, USP45 Stainless, USP45 Gray, USP45T, USP40 SS/FBI, USP9c, (2) P2000SK v2 LEM, USP9 (LEM & V1), P30L 9mm, P7M13(II), USC, UMP, G36K (x2)
    PSG-8, 33K, MKE AT-94K, MR556A1, PSG-1 (KC), M3 Super 90, CA89, PTR-91F, Benelli M1014 SE
    USP40/USP40CC/USP40c/USP45/USP45T/Mark 23

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER

Well, if it took AR mags, it really wouldn't be an XM8 ;)

Looking at pictures, it looks like the lower on the XM8 was different in that it was similar to an AR lower with the the mag well integrated with the lower, not separate like on the G36, with a part of the receiver hanging down separating the two. Given the heavy receiver mods needed, I'm not sure you could legally "convert" an SL8 receiver.

Even if you could, FireGS is right, it would be a very expensive mod, and a very niche mod too. I'm not sure you would need to go AR mags anyway for compliance. Given all the parts needed for a true conversion, you'd probably have enough US parts even using G36 mags.

Really liking this HK Stuff Member

well I know that they are different rifles and it would involve hybrid parts, but the idea would be to emulate the look, not turn an SL8 completely into an XM8. There are airsoft versions of it already, it would just take making the molds work with SL8 parts and weapons grade poly for everything IMO. But ya'll are right that id would be probably be cost-prohibitive:/

Edit: Okay, looking at a side by side by side of a factory SL8, factory XM8 and Hami’s recent G36 conversion, I’d say an integrated handguard w/carry handle that attaches to the upper like an XM8 with an area behind it with a 1913 rail to attach an optic. Then a mag well conversion to accept ar15 mags, and then a collapsible stock that is non-folding like the XM8. Then enough parts that are US made, and you’d be good to go. Wonder if some one like Top-Notch or Blackmarket parts would be interested? Coharie? IDK….sounds cool to me at least…lol.
    Last edited by rob_xxx; 02-07-2010 at 07:04 PM. Reason: added to it

+ Reply to Thread

Links