+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Zeroing KAC short sigth rail flip-ups(SL8/G36)

Question Zeroing KAC short sigth rail flip-ups(SL8/G36)

Hi,
    I managed to get a used KAC short sight rail with quite reasonable price.
    However, there were no instructions on the zeroing of the rear sight, what is the purpose/distance of the "Z"-letter in the distance drum?
    The flip-up sight picture is not too good(as expected) at 300m/yds, but the shots are still in a decent group(it can be called a group, not just laying suppressive fire, that is :) using Santa Barbara 62gr M855.
    The sight is mounted on top of SL8-5.

BR,
    Aarne

Desperately Needs Treatment

Nice sights on a nice sl 8!

HKPRO Professional

Can't say for sure, but my best guess would be that the "Z" is exactly what you're looking for - to "Z"ero the rifle. I would also hazzard a guess that it is set up to zero the rifle at the military standard 25m.

If you really want to go authentic military, print off a few of these:
    25meter zeroing target
    If firefighters fight fire and crimefighters fight crime, what do freedom fighters do?
    -G. Carlin
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    -President Ronald Reagan

Desperately Needs Treatment

I have the long KAC rail on an SL8-1 which uses the standard sight components as yours. The 'Z' setting corresponds to 350m on the rear turret drum, and is the correctc position for POA/POI for the regular sight distance when these sights are used with an M16A2 (*much longer sight radius than our SL8's). Thus, the distance you sight it in for will NOT correspond to zero the elevation drum at all distances.

Instead, I would use the 'Z' setting as a starting point for 25m zero, and then make rough adjustments to get it on paper at close range, then move out to 100m with a clean target stand (new cardboard or fresh butcher paper), and get it zero'd at 100m. Once you have your 100m zero, then you can approximate elevation adjustment using the turret. Obviously, you'll want to check the zero at each range through trial and error, as your ammo/bullet weight/barrel length will greatly impact muzzle velocity, which is the single biggest driver of external ballistics.

The 'Z' setting at 350m is just a starting point, due to the sight radius on the G36 being roughly half that of an M16A2 which KAC designed the rear sight turret to operate with. HTH,
    Who else thinks the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms is a convenience store?

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER

Quote Originally Posted by raaka_arska View Post
    Hi,
    I managed to get a used KAC short sight rail with quite reasonable price.
    However, there were no instructions on the zeroing of the rear sight, what is the purpose/distance of the "Z"-letter in the distance drum?
    The flip-up sight picture is not too good(as expected) at 300m/yds, but the shots are still in a decent group(it can be called a group, not just laying suppressive fire, that is :) using Santa Barbara 62gr M855.
    The sight is mounted on top of SL8-5.

BR,
    Aarne
    The "Z" setting on the rear sight is indeed for 25 meter zeroing. It will make a difference based on ammo and barrel length but it will get you close.
    G3Kurz

Thanks to everyone for the replies. It answered my original question, abouth the meaning of point-Z.
    The thing that left me wondering is that the line of sight is ~4"(10cm) above the bore, vs. M16 ~2.5"(65mm?).
    Zeroing the sights to 25meters with POI=POA sounds impossible, or will at least make the bullet trajectory quite wild.
    So I did a litlle calculation, using http://www.handloads.org/calc/index.html calculator.
    3000fps, 62gr, .304coeff, 4" sight Ht. says that if I zero to 500yds, POA=POI in about 25yds(and again in 500yds), but mid range trajectory is max 20" higher than LOS.
    Sighting in to 350yds, will give POA=POI somewhere near 45yds, and MRT of 7". Sighting in to 300yds(/50yds) is even better with only 4" MRT.
    So I would take the military 25m zeroing target to 50meters instead while using SL8 to start with.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER

Sorry for dredging up an old posting, but I'm a little confused about what to index the Z and numbers to. The base of the sight under the turret has a down arrow on the front of the base and an up arrow on the side of the base. Do you align the Z with the up arrow on the side for the zero and then use the numbers with the down arrow on the side for the different ranges? The small instruction sheet that came with my 2-600m micro doesn't really explain the difference between the arrows. TIA.

+ Reply to Thread

Links