+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: HK 51

Default HK 51

Can anyone tell me what an HK51 is going for now days? I have one that's all HK parts with the retractable stock. Has a fake supressor to make it legal length, but it's just pinned and welded, so it can be easily converted to an SBR. I'm including a foreward rail system, a top rail for optics, the regular forend, and 4 mags. I need to fund a Jeep project, so I want it gone, but want to get a good price for it. Any ideas on what I should ask for it???? I want to move it, so I don't want to list too high, but I don't want to give it away either.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER

Who did the conversion? Is it marked as such? e.g. Vollmer, Urbach, Dyer, Someone else.

Unrepentant HKHolic

In addition to what Corey asked, can you tell us if it was a factory 91? A Springfield? An FMP?

More details are needed.

No markings for conversion that I know of. Where would they be and what am I looking for? It was an HK91 prior to the conversion as it is still marked as a 91. Thanks.

Desperately Needs Treatment

Pictures please....

Here ya go.

http://s774.photobucket.com/albums/y...cpZZ1QQtppZZ20

I have to have 10 more posts until I can post in the For Sale Forum, so hopefully by then, I'll get a good idea of what it's worth. Thanks for the help and Merry Christmas!!!!

It certainly looks nice enough, but a couple pictures of the conversion weld areas around the cocking tube etc...would help. It is hard for me to price though...

Being based on a real HK91 certainly helps, but not knowing who did the conversion work hurts a little. You figure a 91 sells for $1800, plus a couple hundred for your accessories, and plus a couple hundred for the conversion work.... So maybe between $2000 and $2200??

IMOP, something else that hurts 51 pricing today is the introduction of the PTR 308 pistols. They sell for under $1000 and the quality is excellent. They make a great place to start as a sear host or SBR candidate.

If someone demands the HK logo, then they'll look your way. If they just want a great shooting short barreled 308, they'll look towards the PTRs.

Disclaimer: You asked for opinions and this is mine...nothing more. :)

Take care and good luck with the sale.
    Kevin

Thanks Kevin, I'll get pics up later today.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER

Quote Originally Posted by jcmooreusmc View Post
    Thanks Kevin, I'll get pics up later today.
    Figure a Hk91 beater grade will be $1,750.00. That is a lower estimate based on the economy right now just for the host weapon. Guys will tell you that 91s can be had for less, funny thing is no one seems to be able to actually prove that they can be had for less.

Based on the pictures of the conversion it is a more desireable version of the 51 as it has the charging handle moved forward, closer to the front site, and the carrier is longer meaning it retains more of the carrier mass. My 51 is converted the same way and it also has the #18 locking piece. Figure with the #18 locking piece, and the conversion itself another $800.00.

Sell the accessories separately, in my experience many buyers expect them for free.

Down side to this conversion is as follows:
    1.) No paddle magazine release,
    2.) Original model is still on the weapon; it was not remarked Hk51. Many will tell you since Hk never made a factory 51 that the remark is not necessary, but again seeing that the conversion was done on a factory 91 to "51" specs it should probably have it.
    Note:
    Neither will be a big deal if someone deceides to SBR it, since they will have to have the receiver engraved with their info, that would be an ideal time to remark it to 51, and have the paddle mag release installed. Downside it will need a refinish after all of that.

If you wanted to sell it fast figure $2,500.00. Again, a bit on the lower side, but to get it done with the re-mark, and PMR, plus the SBR tax and engraving that would probably sell it pretty quick. There are those that would say the presence of clone pistols would drive the price lower, but they are mistaken. Most clone 51s do not contain enough US made parts to be legit. While a 51 sbr build could be done with more US made parts the build cost goes up.

At the end of the day you have a German gun; keep that in mind when you sell it as there are no more.

jcmoore, please let us know how the sale goes for you as this type of info helps us all. This can also be a kinda tough time of year to sell.

Now you have a couple opinions.

A few more comments:

We both agree that a HK91 starter rifle can be had for $1750-$1800. I agree with Sturm that people say they can find them for less... but I think this is good number to go with.

I agree on the accessories as well. Sell them separate since everyone wants the "free" package.

I don't agree that you can plan to get $800 in credit for the conversion. It can certainly cost that to have the conversion done, but as a buyer I would not be willing to pay that for an unknown builder conversion based upon an unknown condition original 91. If I'm going to pay full conversion costs, then I would want to pick the smith and the base rifle so that I know exactly what I'm dealing with in the end.

I'm also a little confused on Sturm's "clone 51 pistols" argument. The PTR pistols that I mentioned are built by PTR in the US with almost all, if not all US parts. I would agree that the Vector 51 pistols may not have the US parts necessary to meet 922r for a "legit" SBR build, but the PTR's should and frankly they appear to cost a bunch less than the Vectors anyway.

Frankly, the new buyer of your rifle will have the same problem as I understand it. With 922r applying to SBR's, the buyer would need to swap German parts for US parts in order to remove the barrel extension and register it as a 51 SBR legally.

Anyway, good luck with you sale and let us know how it works out. Now go pump up that post count so you can get it listed! :)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links