+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: So is my FA91 worthless?

Default So is my FA91 worthless?

This firearm was purchased about 8 years ago, and there is about 100 rounds or so through it. It is very, very accurate. In fact @ 100 yards it can get about .75 MOA. Yet, I have heard after a while these guns tend to come apart or self destruct in some way. Its never rapid fired and is only used for slow semi automatic target practice. I love HK-91/G3 rifles they are my favorite. Heck...I have yet to find a women that is as sweet as the G3 platform rifle. LOL Funny thing is I bought this off a female years ago. I think she was able to handle it better than her b/f. LOL Anyway do I have to worry about this weapon flying apart? If it is just a parts kit...and I wanted to get it built on a good receiver, what receiver should I buy, and where is a good HK smith to send it to?

mew
    Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

I never heard that. one way to find out though, buy a case of ammo and go to town.............
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
    Edmund Burke

Requiescat in Pace

Bottom line is if it works and is safe, then it works and is safe. However, from the following thread appears there is a long term safety issue FA 91 FNG

Would check the following thread for a few of your answers: Federal Arms FA 91 conversion to a PTR reciever.. suggestions needed

What are you using for ammo and optics when shooting 3/4 MOA groups at 100 yards (may need to try your combination).
    Last edited by JTinIN; 01-02-2012 at 01:21 PM.
    Regards
    John
    [url]http://www.556beltfed.com[/url]
    [img]http://www.hkpro.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic1307_1.gif[/img]

Honestly I just adjusted the windage on the rear site, and used some old Wolf ammo. The worst group I ever got with it was around 1.25, but it can usually hold a sub 1" MOA at 100 with irons.

Requiescat in Pace

Quote Originally Posted by T-90 View Post
    Honestly I just adjusted the windage on the rear site, and used some old Wolf ammo. The worst group I ever got with it was around 1.25, but it can usually hold a sub 1" MOA at 100 with irons.
    If you are getting submoa groups with most ammo for five shot groups with iron sights and the military trigger pull, you need to try some match ammo and scope on the rifle and see what it will do. Myself have had better luck with Wolf 223 ammo than with Federal M193.
    Last edited by JTinIN; 01-02-2012 at 05:44 PM.

My FA91 was the first "HK" type/clone weapon I have ever owned, I picked it up cheap and have fired hundreds of rounds thru mine with no casualties. It faithfully sat in my safe for many years and a couple of times I was pondering selling it, especially since my real "HK" collection was starting to grow. The ol girl got an overhaul with a new PTR receiver from HK Parts and green furniture from Robert RTG, once all the parts where collected they were sent off to Jayson at Investment Grade Firearms for a transformation to a G3K. If you email Jayson he is a great guy and will walk you thru the procedures and options from beginning to end. This thing not only looks amazing but handles itself quite well at the range, you would not be disappointed. In the end I could not bring myself to sell the FA91, too many fond memories.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

The original clones were made to shoot. They weren't that expensive and were never meant to last forever. I knew going in that my SW3 would not command a high resale price. It shoots great, but has only an acceptable finish. Have fun, shoot your rifle and don't worry about what others say.

JPG

HKPRO Professional

PTR receiver, send it to Jayson at IGF.

Like its notorious Century counterpart, it has an aluminum receiver "welded" to steel parts. I'm not metallurgist, but this is not a good scenario.

Unrepentant HKHolic

I'd get a PTR receiver and stick it in the closet. Shoot the gun until it noticeably starts to fail. You can send it in anytime to get rebuilt on the new receiver, but no one knows how long PTR may stay in bidness. Not a bad idea to grab a receiver now... same with the Coharie Arms/SW/whatever name of the day receivers. Get one (or more?) while you can. We have plenty of 'smiffs here who do a great job.
    45acp... turning human garbage into useful fertilizer since 1911

Auf gebeginning to fixin der gun mit grosse busen of der schpritzin lubrication allen over derfukin platz, mit das squirtin and squeezin oil in allen fukinholes.
    Ja, und racken und strokin das bolt as if gecrazygoing, yanken dat handle bak und forth, zwei hunnert times, ja?
    Ist neue, und its needing some brekkin in.
    Zo, BREKKIN ZEFUKIN THING IN!

Certified MM leghumper...

I've got an FA-91, assembled by Century. Since I heard so many problems with them, I decided to do a stress test with mine. 200 rounds of .308 in rapid fire to see what would happen. Heat plus epoxy meant that the epoxy started to soften, the pin holding the barrel in started to drift, and with the trunnion and pin being harder than the aluminum, the pin holes in the receiver started to egg-hole. Thus, any disposable (and not-so-disposable income) income at this time is going towards a rebuild. You'll be able to salvage the trigger group, bolt carrier and bolt, rear sight, forend, stock, and if you're careful, the front sight triple frame. Toss the barrel and trunnion; the barrel is a Century, and a used trunnion won't have a small enough diameter to reliably hold your barrel in place to properly drill and pin both. As a bare bones rebuild, get a PTR receiver, cocking tube, trunnion and barrel. It'll save you headaches in the future.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links