+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Accessing value of my Hk91 w/issues

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER

Default Accessing value of my Hk91 w/issues

So, I've realized my Hk91 is just sitting in my safe, I haven't taken it to the range since February and am thinking I want to sell it. There is a unique issue with it, one that I posted here in the forum about 6 months ago. I've got too many other things on my plate right now to send it off for a proper/professional diagnosis. This could be a simple fix; extractor, ejector, hot ammo...improper locking piece, I'm not sure. I've spoke with both Chopstix and Ghillie about it and both offered to take a look at it.

An FFL friend of mine said he would put it on consignment for me and sell it on GB. In good conscience, I don't want to sell it without a proper diagnosis or at least reveal the issue at hand.

That being said, I'm hesitant to sell it because it's such a classic battle rifle...but I'm ready for my UMP conversion, purchasing a suppressor, stockpiling more ammo and spend more time at the range.

With the Hk91, comes about 40 G3 mags, Hk heavy bipod, Karl Kaps Z24 scope w/Hk claw mount Heavy Hk butt pad that hasn't been installed and an extra IB date coded wide forearm.

I'd like to get some thoughts on the value with the issue. I'm providing a discussion link for you to browse, perhaps some of you remember this conversation. Overall, the rifle is in beautiful condition...was refinished by Chopstix. Also, what are your thoughts on how to handle the sale. Should I get a proper diagnosis before I sell? Should I get the issue resolved first then sell? Or just reveal the issue in the sale?

I would appreciate any feedback about the value and handling the sale. I believe in full disclosure when selling a firearm and want the intended buyer to know exactly what they're getting.

Thanks guys! Here's the link to the thread topic: Brass Ejection issues? or no?
    "Dyin' ain't much of a livin' , boy..." The Outlaw Josey Wales.

Requiescat in Pace

First off sell the accessories separately, except toss in a half dozen mags with the rifle, other wise you end up nearly giving away the accessories.
    Second really need to get it fixed or take a loss - would send to one of the guys, with Ghillie being fast and at least check it out.
    Third maybe offer it for sale here first, possible already at Ghillie ready for conversions ;-)

HK91 Questions and Answers that I see:
    1: Is the gun NIB - Answer is No
    2: Is the gun nearly new or mint - Answer is no (i.e. is well used with +4 rollers and has been refinished)
    3: Is the gun functional? Answer appears to be yes, the HK91 goes bang, ejects brass and the bullets go nominally down range.
    4: What is the bolt gap? - Answer nominally ok but low with +4 rollers
    5: Are there any issues - Answer maybe see link on ejection pattern.

Other questions are condition of the bore, group size, how does the bolt look etc.

Should sell nicely as a host gun for a sear (which it probably was) or a project gun (i.e. make a great G3K with a new RCM barrel pressed in would allow the bolt gap to be adjusted), however, not at the $2500+ price of a NIB HK91 nor at the $2K price of a nice HK91 (note my prices are what I have seen locally the GB prices maybe higher ;-). With possible issues, one would really want to see some discount for the unknown plus the nominal cost of repairs, will not guess at a price, since could make a nice G3K host ;-), other to say it might be closer to a grand than two grand (the new SAR8s were $799 and just got a nice HK911 which the original owner had had brought up to HK91 specification for under $1500).

Thus you should either send it off to be fixed or expect to sell at fairly good discount as the buyer does not know what needs to be done (i.e. nearly worst case but probably not if one is lucky, would need a new barrel, trunnion, bolt, refinish plus work for near a grand).
    Last edited by JTinIN; 08-06-2012 at 06:27 AM.
    Regards
    John
    [url]http://www.556beltfed.com[/url]
    [img]http://www.hkpro.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic1307_1.gif[/img]

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER

Thanks for your thorough assessment JTinIN.

I agree with you...selling the accessories separate is probably the better choice rather than combining them with the sale of the rifle. It's got me thinking. Honestly, I'm just not sure I want to sell this, but fixing the problem first or at the very least, get the rifle to Jeff so that I can get a fair evaluation of cost of repair so that if I do sell, the problems can be fully disclosed to the future buyer. I will give this some more thought today and then make a final decision. Thanks again, I appreciate it.

Unrepentant HKHolic

It would help if you were more specific about what the actual problem is.. in detail. Also what round count, A2 or A3, etc
    Yes Virginia, there are ancient conspiracies in high places

German guns, German girls, German cars, German beer and German dogs.. what's not to like?

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg View Post
    It would help if you were more specific about what the actual problem is.. in detail. Also what round count, A2 or A3, etc
    I've provided a link in my first post which goes into a fair amount of detail...albeit, no conclusion, mostly suggestions and speculation.

Brass Ejection issues? or no?

Round count is unknown and has an A2 stock.

+ Reply to Thread

Links