+ Reply to Thread

Thread: HK 7.62x39 Variants?

Question HK 7.62x39 Variants?

Hi all,

First post here.

I am seriously considering picking up a 7.62x39 carbine and am looking at the HK version (more like doing my due diligence). The increased accuracy over an AK is appealing, and I can't deny that I'm just the sort of contrarian who likes to have rarer and more unique toys.

Being completely new and ignorant of all the various permutations of the HK/G3 rolling lock platform, I'd your opinions on the 7.62x39 variants out there.

I'm aware of the PTR-32 that was in production a few years back and is rumored to get started up again once all this craziness settles down hopefully later this year. I've read about the magazine well fitment issues (plastic slab sided mags only) as well as concerns about excessive / quick trunnion wear (still have to look into what exactly that means) and alleged finickiness with ammo.

Also, I'm curious about the magwell filler or conversion or whatever PTR did to make the AK mags fit in the G3/91 sized receiver. How do those hold up?

I've read a little bit here on HKPro about Jeff/ghillebear's Parabellum business, but seem to remember having read something earlier this week about him no longer doing x39 conversions? I'll follow up with him personally, just logging that I'm aware of his work and reputation.

What else is out there?

Thanks in advance for any info y'all may be able to send my way.

Unrepentant HKHolic

Quote Originally Posted by Will_Power View Post

What else is out there?[/B]
    Nothing. If you want a roller lock in x39. Either have one made-(GB) or PTR. Jeff does now do x39's on 93 receivers which are GTG.
    If you have a buttload of cash and can find one, (highly unlikely in the US and it will be select fire swing down receiver only) you could snag an HK32. HK's only production rifle chambered for the M43 cartridge. The mags for these are reportedly astronomically expensive.
    The PTR's are GTG and well made. The PDW's are exceptionally nice. The mag wells have a steel insert that accommodates the AK mag dimensions. Early models were really partial to the Bulgarian slab side mags and there were some metallurgical trunnion issues. The later versions and/or PDW's seem to take all AK mags. In addition, Promag makes an AK drum that fits in these guns without any alterations and the fact they do take AK mags is definitely a plus.
    I highly prefer the x39 round over the 5.56 anyway thusly feel the roller lock platform in this caliber is the best of both worlds, IMHO.

Requiescat in Pace

A 7.62x39 on a 93 receiver that is "HK"53 size would be interesting.
    Regards
    John
    [url]http://www.556beltfed.com[/url]
    [img]http://www.hkpro.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic1307_1.gif[/img]

Supporting Vendor
    Ghilliebear
    Us Army (Ret) INFANTRY.
    I AM MY COUNTRY'S STRENGTH
    IN WAR!

http://www.prusikusa.com/
    918-696-8715
    918-781-3939

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

SPECIAL WEAPONS made one that shoots the x39 round

Quote Originally Posted by U.S. Praetorian View Post
    The PTR's are GTG and well made. The PDW's are exceptionally nice. The mag wells have a steel insert that accommodates the AK mag dimensions. Early models were really partial to the Bulgarian slab side mags and there were some metallurgical trunnion issues. The later versions and/or PDW's seem to take all AK mags. In addition, Promag makes an AK drum that fits in these guns without any alterations and the fact they do take AK mags is definitely a plus.
    Thanks for the information.

Did PTR make an announcement that they updated/fixed the magwell fit issues, or is this largely anecdotal observations?

If I were to look for a later model with the fixed trunnion issue and possible mag issues resolved, are there different serial numbers in play, or should I just contact PTR for that information?

My last question: how are the magwell inserts holding up on these? I've read some hypothetical concerns about them falling out or coming loose over time. I'm not too interested in picking up a rock-solid roller lock only to have the magazine adaptation that allows me to load, chamber, and fire the x39 instead of x51 fall apart.

Quote Originally Posted by ghilliebear2000 View Post
    Thank you for the link! Looks like I misread things!

Are these off of full-size 91 receivers or what..?

Also, what was/is the bolt head issue with the PTR-32's that you mention in this announcement?

Quote Originally Posted by UncleBilly View Post
    SPECIAL WEAPONS made one that shoots the x39 round
    As in Todd Bailey? No thanks.

Unrepentant HKHolic

Quote Originally Posted by Will_Power View Post
    Thanks for the information.

Did PTR make an announcement that they updated/fixed the magwell fit issues, or is this largely anecdotal observations?
    If I were to look for a later model with the fixed trunnion issue and possible mag issues resolved, are there different serial numbers in play, or should I just contact PTR for that information?
    My last question: how are the magwell inserts holding up on these? I've read some hypothetical concerns about them falling out or coming loose over time. I'm not too interested in picking up a rock-solid roller lock only to have the magazine adaptation that allows me to load, chamber, and fire the x39 instead of x51 fall apart.
    As in Todd Bailey? No thanks.
    I don't think any announcement was made concerning mag wells. I think they stopped production due to the 32 not being a big seller and they were going to modify the mag wells. I have no idea what that means though.
    PTR's website has the serial # range for the trunnion issues.
    As far as them holding up? They are steel and they are welded into the receiver. If you can dick up a weld I guess it can come out. Have yet to see that.

Quote Originally Posted by U.S. Praetorian View Post
    I don't think any announcement was made concerning mag wells. I think they stopped production due to the 32 not being a big seller and they were going to modify the mag wells. I have no idea what that means though.
    PTR's website has the serial # range for the trunnion issues.
    As far as them holding up? They are steel and they are welded into the receiver. If you can dick up a weld I guess it can come out. Have yet to see that.
    I sent off an email to Atlantic Firearms to see if they had heard anything through the distributor channels, and they answered that it will be late this year or into 2014 before they do more PTR 32 items."

So, we'll see.

+ Reply to Thread

Links