HKPRO Forums banner

HK 91 Slimline Handguard

4K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  wh 
#1 ·
Many of you read and responded to my post last week regarding the HK91 I recently bought. In that post I mentioned wanting to install a slimline handguard on the rifle (91s just look very cool that way!). So below are a couple of comment and questions.

A few yrs back knowing that someday a 91 would sit in my gun safe, I picked up two slimline hand guards (a black and a green one) because the deal on sturmgewehr.com was too good to pass up. SUPPOSEDLY, they are both German, but I do not know for sure. The characteristics of each are pretty similar with a couple of exceptions so here's a description of each. Both appear brand new.

The black one has what appears to be elongated ventilation holes but these are actual fake. On the left side at the rear is a rearward pointing metal "clip" with a hole in it. There is a metal head shield installed inside the hand guard. Also inside the hand guard is the digit "8". At the rear of the hand guard on the right side in the first bottom fake elongated "ventilation hole" are the letters "ik". Lastly worth noting, it appears that the hole through which the hand guard retaining pin does not have a reinforced metal "eyelet" (whereas on the green hand guard there is one).

The green one is not much different so will be easy to describe. Here are the differences: The digit "7" appears inside the hand guard. There is NO rearward pointing metal "clip" with hole in it. There IS a metal "eyelet" for the hand guard retaining pin.

Question 1) Why are these elongated indentations NOT real holes? It seems if they were actual drilled holes, the barrel would be able to cool better when fired. So my guess is one of three things: a) they are supposed to be real holes, b) they are really made this way to keep weight down, c) they are there to keep sunlight from reflecting off of them.

Question 2) I've read that there is someone who offers service on HK rifles that will drill the holes so that they are real. Do you know of anyone who offers this service?

Thanks for your time, folks, and hope to hear some of your ideas on this all.

See less See more
#3 ·
The black one (ik = 89--- though I have never seen a 1989 slimline) is HK; the green one may be FMP (Portuguese)--- there should be a rectangular/oval indention with "FMP"!!! :biggrin:
E-mail me clear pics of the sides/tops/bottoms. :wink:

Tony

#5 ·
Thanks for the input and responses. My first inclination was also to think that the "ik" stands for the year 1989, but later got to thinking that upper case letters would have been used. Just a thought.

Tony, I'll try to get clear up close pics for you, not sure if my camera is good enough but we'll see tomorrow…..

While at work tonight, I seem to remember that there was someone who "ventilated" hand guards as part of his business. I can have a look in the info accumulated over the years but it might take a while to sift through all that! :)

I'm not interested in keeping the green hand guard and would sell it. What do they go for?

#9 ·
That's no lie. After a 20 round FA burst, my G3 with a slim handguard is too hot to hold on to without gloves. Even so, I do like the slim handguard over the wide handguard.

#11 ·
I have a green one,4IB,with 01 inside next to the heat shield. When I bought my 91 in 95 (IB) dated,it had wooden slimline with no clip,black finish A3 were on the rifle green furniture on it,including cocking handle, grip.Stock and slimline and 3 G3 mags came with it.stock is not marked anywhere at all. I have often wondered if there was anyway to tell if my 91 came with green furniture.Fellow I bought 91 from said he didn't know. Seems like someone swapped a lot of parts. Since then I have put black IB dated parts from this site on the rifle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.