HKPRO Forums banner

SL8/G36 and USC/UMP conversion ammo use

2K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  aziroc 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

I had a question in regards to these rifles and what kind of ammo everyone uses. I have A USC/UMP waiting for a form 1 to get back and I have a G36 getting converted as we speak. I want to know if anyone uses brass remanufactured ammo through their guns and if so how accurate is it? I also have a question about a certain website called Bite the Bullet, Order your ammo online and we will ship it directly to your doorstep. New and Remanufactured Ammunition - Made in the USA and was wondering if anyone has gone to this site to buy ammo and if it is good?

Thanks,

#2 ·
Congrats on your rifles, you will love them! I only have a G36 conversion, so there is that. I have put brass and steel through it without any problems. I haven't noticed any accuracy issues as a result of the rifle, more problems because of me the shooter:). I have had some odds and ends problems but I mostly attributed them to AR mag issues or suppressor issues. I wouldn't put much weight my experienced issues other than to warn you probably will have some issues when using AR mags. Cheers and congratulations again, post pics!

#3 ·
Ammo discussions tend to get nuked, because HK guns tend to work with standard factory ammo, and it is disposable, so if it doesn't work, try another.

All my HK guns get a mix of pretty standard factory brass ammo, I haven't been trying to get precision rifle shots with the ump, so can't really say one is great and another not so much. I have used some factory reloaded ammo, and it was fine too.

Factory new ammo is so cheap right now, lots of deals and sales, not much reason to buy reloaded or bulk for same price or more.

Shockwave

#8 ·
I have had hang ups using steel cased WOLF ammo in my G36 conversion. Typical issue when feeding it through with most AR-s. The steel is not as smooth as brass and swells in the chamber lodging it in there. the extractor claw rips the rim edge off of the case and you have to push it out backwards with a cleaning rod. SO after that , baby only gets the factory good stuff now. I would hate to ruin a multi thousand dollar gun to save a few bucks on ammo.

#10 · (Edited)
Looks like a reloader who sells his stuff commercial. One of the many rules of reloading is that you never shoot someone else's reloads unless those loads have been worked up in your firearm and you have a lot of trust in that person. Most of the major manufacturers test each powder lot and load their rounds to pressure. I doubt this guy does this so depending on when you buy the ammo from him it might be good but when he uses a new powder lot it could be over pressure. I'd stay away.

Here is an interesting test that Lucky gunner did with Steel cased ammo compared to Federal brass 223.

Brass vs. Steel Cased Ammo - An Epic Torture Test

They shot 10,000 rounds through 4 identical rifles using 3 different steel cased ammo with Federal 223 as the brass cased control. They took the guns completely apart several times (like armor level) and inspected them thoroughly throughout the test. At the end they chopped the barrels up to give a more thorough inspection than bore scoping. Long story short, the gun shooting Federal 223 Brass cased ammo had a lot of life left in it while the barrels and extractors that shot the steel cased ammo were completely destroyed. Something to think about since parts for our UMPs & G36 conversions are extremely hard to replace and very expensive. That's why I got a Dillon 550 progressive press and reload. I reload 223 for about half of the price of store bought ammo.

#11 ·
I've had all kinds of issues with steel cased and cheap ammo in my old SL8/G36, even before I went SBR down to a G36c. Weak primer hits, FTEs, Bolt hold open issues, etc. Never again. For a while, my old G36c didn't even like anything .223... it was a little prissy and only ran flawlessly on nice 5.56 rounds. I blame some of that on the various stages of conversion that I was in and the different stock block variants that I used (HDPS, HERA).

My latest G36c is a full stub weld, and it's had absolutely zero issues, though I have yet to try any really cheap ammo in it yet (just to see if it suffers the same flaws).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.