HKPRO Forums banner

Question about PSG1???

4K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  KOK 
#1 ·
I recently acquired an HK91 that was converted prior to my purchase to a PSG1 by IGF. My question is that the handguard feels very loose and is only attached to the cocking tube at the very front. I realize that this is because the barrel is free floated but when I removed the handguard it looks like there might have been some sort of strut that stabilized the handguard further down the handguard against the cocking tube but it appears that my handguard may have been modified or had the strut removed but I'm not sure why. What I'm asking is that if anyone has any experience with this and also if someone has an original PSG1 handguard if they could photograph it for me so I could see if mine is different and if in fact any modification have been made to mine or not. I'm very concerned about this because with the t-rail on the bottom of the handguard I'm not sure I trust the handguard to support the rifle if I place a sling mount into the t-rail. I would appreciate any help any of the very knowledge people on here can give me.

#3 ·
Okay I'll post a picture tomorrow. The front of the handguard is not held in place with a screw. It's held in place with a bolt and pin that fits into a slot at the front of the cocking tube. There is no way to make it any tighter from here that I am aware of. Unless I'm missing something.

#4 ·
odd, the two clones I had both had a flat head screw that went into the front of the cocking tube (where the bayonet lug would go on a regular G3)
after fitting the handguard, I would turn the screw 90 degrees and it would snap in.
Curious to see what your's looks like.
Best.

#5 ·
Tiger888,

That's how mine works as well but even after it's engaged it the handguard is still loose and slides back and forth slightly. There's also a slight gap in front of the magazine well and the rear of the handguard which from looking at pictures of original PSG1's does not exist on the originals. I've attached pictures, two of which are of the inside of the handguard where it looks like a brace might have been but upon further inspection it looks like someone tried to glue the top of the handguard to the bottom of the cocking tube but it appears to have broke loose. I also included a picture of the gap in front of the magwell. The last picture is an overall picture. I'm not sure IGF did this conversion, as this appears to be shot to work. I wouldn't expect IGF to glue the handguard to the cocking tube. I'm in the process of contacting IGF to find out if they in fact did the work on this rifle and if so exactly what work did they do. I still would like to see the inside of an original PSG1 handguard to see if mine has been modified. Again, I would appreciate any help or suggestions anyone can provide on this issue.

Attachments

#6 ·
hmm, sounds like the cocking tube is a hair too long?
the HG on my clone did slide back and forth slightly too, always was under the impression
that it was part of the recoil system so the bipod wouldn't jump so much when shot.

That gluing thing is not good. can you take a shot of the very front of the handguard to see
the locking screw / bolt assembly? that might be part of it too. Nice clone btw, hopefully you'll get
it sorted out :)

#7 ·
Thanks for all the help Tiger888, but I just discovered the problem. My conversion has no barrel trunnion extension so the handguard has nothing to sit on along the back side. In discovering this I also contacted Jayson from IGF and I discovered that IGF did not likely do the conversion. I have asked him and he seems to think the gun would be safe to fire without the barrel trunnion extension. What do you think? I am still considering having IGF go ahead and add the barrel trunnions extension, top mounted scope rail, barrel threads, paddle mag release, forward assist, and restamp from 91 to PSG1. I have an e-mail into Jayson right now for a quote and I'll see if I can afford the additions. Minimally I'll probably have the barrel trunnion extension added before I fire it. It really is a nice rifle, so I hope I can get it working perfectly as it will be a shooter for me.

#10 ·
Okay, that was interesting info, KOK. I was told by the seller that the conversion was farmed out to IGF but Jayson does not ever remember doing a PSG1 conversion that he did not put a trunnion on, I was not given the information about the gun shop in AZ. As far as the "all PSG1" parts it has an original PSG1 trigger group, butt stock, grip, and handguard. I'm not sure how to tell if it's an original PSG1 barrel, but it definitely is a poly bore, I can't find any markings at all on it but it has a lite marking where the original PSG1 trunnions would have gone so it might have been removed from an original PSG1. Any thoughts or indicators on whether it's an original?

Thanks, offrdmania. I have already been in contact with Jayson, and this rifle was bought as a shooter for me, so I'm first going to have the barrel trunnion extension installed. I'm also going to have the rear sight mount removed as I'm never going to remount the sights, plus I want it to look a little more original. But since it is going to be a shooter I am considering having a one piece scope rail installed, and the barrel threaded for suppressor mounting. And yes, I'm probably having it restamped to "PSG1". I might later have the paddle mag release installed and the forward assist installed but Jayson says all repairs take about 4-6 weeks lead time except a forward assist install which take at least six months and since I have a hunting trip that I really want to take this on in October, I'm going to wait on the forward assist until later.

#11 ·
i was interested back then to buy it but the fact that the reinforcement rails welded on were so unbelievable wrong and no forward assist was a big no-go for me. The price back then was way higher (frst auction around 7k) that for what it finally went (GB auction price). I don't know what you payed but they wanted 4500 after 3 months on GB (reserve not met) and that was still to much for an accessorized hk91 for me.
If they would have put the right rails i might had, and back then i didn't even know that the trunion wasn't even psg1 one.
anyway, if you paid a good price for it, you should be able to make it a real clone without having remorse.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.