+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: accuracy from hk 91.

Default accuracy from hk 91.

im currently setting my hk91 up for long range shooting will i be dissapointed? some people say they are very accurate rifles and some say they arent. its a genuine hk if that makes a difference.thanks Ron

Unrepentant HKHolic

Under all the stuff that they try to make it look accurate with, its still a battle rifle!

From what i have heard, you can expect about 1MOA, sometimes 3/4 if you can get good handloads.

You'll need a heavy free floating barrel/handgaurd system like the PSG1 or MSG90, in order to get that a little bit tighter...
    "ma man, ma man, w-w-w-whats dis thing wit' all dese numbas?"

i remember an old hk ad from late 80's/early 90's that guaranteed 2moa on the then new sr9 series rifles?..correct me if i am wrong.but some of the other older guys like myself may remeber that ad...ive found hk 90 series rifles to be quite accurate with good ammo (none of that radway green ammo junk) personay i do not belive a semi can deliver better then 1moa consistently (others may have differing opinions/i m a believer in bolt action rifles for consisent accuracy) all in all 1moa is more then acceptable and your 91 should do just fine with good quality ammo

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER

Quote Originally Posted by theronald View Post
    im currently setting my hk91 up for long range shooting will i be dissapointed? some people say they are very accurate rifles and some say they arent. its a genuine hk if that makes a difference.thanks Ron
    How long do you consider "long range"?

Default accuracy

the guys at wts told me in 1990 that all the 91's he shot would shoot moa or better. how? sitting with the sling wrapped around your forearm for a support. why? the gun was designed to be shot offhand in battle not on a sandbag. brian mentioned the delayed roller block bolt was designed to hold gun in alignment until bullet leaves barrel but for some reason was not as accurate off a rest as offhand. but it stands to reason to design the gun to work the best as a military weapon not off a rest or sandbags or even bipod. he told me he personally tested every weapon after a wts trigger job and he said they ALL would shoot moa AFTER they fixed the creep and overtravel. my 911 with my good handloads and a wts set trigger shoots moa no problem. never tried target ammo. yes it is harder to hold gun without a support but try it, maybe he lied. I am an amatuer barely know what I am talking about but brian at wts sure seemed to know. the boys at langley told me they sent their weapons to wts in those days. someone tell me I am crazy but isn't that hold a normal military one for many weapons. bob

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER

Quote Originally Posted by caflashbob View Post
    the guys at wts told me in 1990 that all the 91's he shot would shoot moa or better. how? sitting with the sling wrapped around your forearm for a support. why? the gun was designed to be shot offhand in battle not on a sandbag. brian mentioned the delayed roller block bolt was designed to hold gun in alignment until bullet leaves barrel but for some reason was not as accurate off a rest as offhand. but it stands to reason to design the gun to work the best as a military weapon not off a rest or sandbags or even bipod. he told me he personally tested every weapon after a wts trigger job and he said they ALL would shoot moa AFTER they fixed the creep and overtravel. my 911 with my good handloads and a wts set trigger shoots moa no problem. never tried target ammo. yes it is harder to hold gun without a support but try it, maybe he lied. I am an amatuer barely know what I am talking about but brian at wts sure seemed to know. the boys at langley told me they sent their weapons to wts in those days. someone tell me I am crazy but isn't that hold a normal military one for many weapons. bob
    All shoot MOA after reducing creep and overtravel? Possibly. Shoot BETTER offhand with a sling than on a rest? Highly unlikely. And it doesn't even have anything to do with the rifle, but everything to do with the shooter. It is impossible to hold it more steady offhand than on a table. No one can "design" a rifle to be more accurate when the POI is moving around a target slightly than when it is held nearly motionless on the same spot.

My HK91 shoots about 1 1/2 MOA. I have a PSG trigger and a modified stock and used Federal Match ammo and a benchrest. I usually waited about 1 minute between shots. I think a limiting factor with me was the scopemount. I used a Claw mount and a 4.5-14 Leupold Var-III scope. If I took it off and put it on again it would not re zero perfectly. If you are serious about accuracy a more permanent scope mount will be necessary. Overall I have been happy with it but it does not compare to my bolt action which is 1 MOA.

HKPRO Professional

I have an IB date code HK91 with a PSG1 trigger and a Springfield Armory 6x40 scope in a claw mount that shoots 3/4 MOA with store bought Federal Ammo.

Desperately Needs Treatment

Still curious as to what range you intend on shooting at. MOA with a clean trigger at 100 yards is a reasonable expectation from the bench. For a battle rifle that's pretty good. Anything over 100-150 yards I'd prefer to use a .308 bolt action for longer distances, or a 25-06 might be better yet. I like my HK91, but am under no illusions of it being a sniper rifle. I like it for what it is.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

I don't know guys, and mine is a clone, but no kidding, I hit prairie dogs at 400+ meters when I settle in and do it right. This is with handloads. I reckon a prairie dog is less than 2 MOA at that distance. The impediment to hitting them is not the rifle. These things are amazingly accurate for a semi auto.
    "A man is generally what he feels himself to be."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links