+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sighting in an HK93

Default Sighting in an HK93

This may seem like a stupid question to some, but all replies are welcome. What range is correct for sighting in an HK93A2? What range is the 'open' V sight used for? (I assume <100M and/or night) I have access to a 300 yard range, and would like to zero the sights at 25 meters/30 yards, then try the rifle at the longer ranges. I believe the markings on the rear sight (2,3,4) are for meters-I can make the distance adjustment for that. Any advice? TIA

An old thread but a good question. Maybe if its stated better... What would be the optimum POA/POI difference at a 25 meter sight in target for the diopters to be correctly calibrated for range using NATO spec 55 gr. 5.56 using, the 1,2,3 or 4 setting? I.E. .5 inches high POI over POA using the 300 meter setting,, ect..

Unrepentant HKHolic

Some of that information may be in the Owner's Manual- the red ones that shipped with the rifles. You may want to try to locate one.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER

Quote Originally Posted by panzer View Post
    An old thread but a good question. Maybe if its stated better... What would be the optimum POA/POI difference at a 25 meter sight in target for the diopters to be correctly calibrated for range using NATO spec 55 gr. 5.56 using, the 1,2,3 or 4 setting? I.E. .5 inches high POI over POA using the 300 meter setting,, ect..
    JFGI for an HK93 manual. You're overthinking it -

v-notch is for extreme CQB. #2 is for 100 to 200 meters, #3 is for 300 meters, #4 is for 400 meters. Sight it in on #2 at 100 meters. The sights on a 91/93 don't even have an adjustment capable of a .5" adjustment at 300 meters. Each click of the rear sight adjustment will raise or lower the POI 4.8" at 300 meters. Remember, it's a battle rifle not a target rifle. If you want to use it for a target rifle, then get some optics with a mil-dot reticle and learn to count clicks, or if you're lazy, one with a BDC for 5.56 nato.

Think about it - do you honestly believe you can differentiate a .5" change on a target 300 yards away with iron sights?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Let me try this again, You misunderstood, I am talking about using 25 Meters as the sight in distance, with the sight at the 200, 300 and 400 mark what would the difference in height be between POA and POI at 25 meters. I am not overthinking it, you might be because I said 25 meters, not atual ranges of 100 -400 meters. See, in an FAL or M14, or even an AR, you can get a good battle sight zero by sighting in at 25 meters. On an FAL you adjust it so that it hits 1 inch higher than POA at 25 meters, and voila, the 200-600 meter marks on the sight are now lined up at that range. M14 you go .5 inches high and you have a calibrated sight. SO, if I am on the 200 setting on the 93, and I sight in at 25 meters, what is the appropriate amount of difference between POA and POI? .5 in? more less? High low? Do you see what I mean now?

I know what the sight does, and how it works and what all the little holes are for. Just looking for the 25 meter POA?POI info so that the sights will now be dead on at the real ranges when its rotated to that position. ALso I see what your saying, but it really had nothing to do with what I was saying. 25 Meters 25 meters 25 meters!!!!

SO what is the difference in Point of aim and Point of Impact at TWENTYFIVE METERS if I zero with the 300 setting so it will be zeroed at 300 meters?
    Last edited by panzer; 04-04-2008 at 08:07 PM.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER

Quote Originally Posted by panzer View Post
    Let me try this again, You misunderstood, I am talking about using 25 Meters as the sight in distance, with the sight at the 200, 300 and 400 mark what would the difference in height be between POA and POI at 25 meters. I am not overthinking it, you might be because I said 25 meters, not atual ranges of 100 -400 meters. See, in an FAL or M14, or even an AR, you can get a good battle sight zero by sighting in at 25 meters. On an FAL you adjust it so that it hits 1 inch higher than POA at 25 meters, and voila, the 200-600 meter marks on the sight are now lined up at that range. M14 you go .5 inches high and you have a calibrated sight. SO, if I am on the 200 setting on the 93, and I sight in at 25 meters, what is the appropriate amount of difference between POA and POI? .5 in? more less? High low? Do you see what I mean now?

I know what the sight does, and how it works and what all the little holes are for. Just looking for the 25 meter POA?POI info so that the sights will now be dead on at the real ranges when its rotated to that position. ALso I see what your saying, but it really had nothing to do with what I was saying. 25 Meters 25 meters 25 meters!!!!

SO what is the difference in Point of aim and Point of Impact at TWENTYFIVE METERS if I zero with the 300 setting so it will be zeroed at 300 meters?
    You'll have to figure out yourself. The trajectory table of each bullet is different. You'll have to get one for the bullet you're using, the measure your sight/bore offset. Sure, I could look it up for you, but your "25 meters 25 meters 25 meters!!!" crap is a little obnoxious. So again - JFGI. That's how I found it out. A particular .223 round I looked up will cross the zero at 25 yards and about 350 yards, all at the exact same sight setting.
    Last edited by AviatorDave; 04-05-2008 at 02:25 AM.

The sights on a 91/93 don't even have an adjustment capable of a .5" adjustment at 300 meters. Each click of the rear sight adjustment will raise or lower the POI 4.8" at 300 meters. Remember, it's a battle rifle not a target rifle. If you want to use it for a target rifle, then get some optics with a mil-dot reticle and learn to count clicks, or if you're lazy, one with a BDC for 5.56 nato.

Think about it - do you honestly believe you can differentiate a .5" change on a target 300 yards away with iron sights?

Seriously, that "25 meters crap" was just to be clear, because the above did not address it. I realize everything you said there, and it was a little obnoxious to me. I have been shooting for a few minutes ;) I was not meaning to be obnoxious to you, sorry if you took it that way. Its just my initial message apparently wasn't clear enough on what My intent was or what info I was seeking.

Have you ever been in the military? 25 meter battle sight has been figured out for just about everything. I did Google it as you suggested, long before posting on here, I just didn't find any results for HK battle sight zeros and the proper POI/POA differences for NATO spec ammo so you could use a short range to calibrate your sights correctly. Even for a G3. All of these types have been in some military service somewhere, so I would think it would reason that the tables are out there, albeit hard to find. The original posters question went unanswered for 8 years. I came across it searching the same thing on here after I got nothing on Google. Sorry you found it to be offensive, not the intent.

Fugured it all out, and posted it.
    Last edited by panzer; 04-05-2008 at 04:57 AM.

+ Reply to Thread

Links