+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Converting SP89 to SBR

Default Converting SP89 to SBR

Trying to get info/advice on turning SP89 to SBR by adding a Folding Choate stock and K Grip. Is this doable or would I have to change out barrel also? Know first step would be getting BATFE paperwork but exact info/steps appreciated.

Unrepentant HKHolic

My limited understanding is, if the SP89 was imported after the '89 cut off for "non sporting" rifle importation (my understanding is that most were) then the SP89 would be subject to 922(R). So to convert it into a "non sporting" Title I rifle or register as a SBR, no more than 10 foreign made parts can be used in a "non-sporting" semi auto rifle. So whether that rifle is NFA registered or not it will have to be 922(R) compliant. So if the pistol was an original German 1991 import or a new made MKE pistol, they would both need to be 922(R) compliant to be a rifle. Would you really want to pull all those German parts out of it to be compliant? Good luck with your SBR project.

Scott
    Last edited by scottinthegrove; 04-06-2011 at 04:28 PM.

See the discussion within this thread for various opinions - http://www.hkpro.com/forum/showthrea...ing-the-barrel
    Last edited by kmart356; 04-06-2011 at 06:08 PM. Reason: ...so as not to offend anyone

Unrepentant HKHolic

My limited understanding is, if the SP89 was imported after the '89 cut off for "non sporting" rifle importation (my understanding is that most were) then the SP89 would be subject to 922(R).
    As I state above "My limited understanding is...". I'm not a lawyer. Although I did play one on stage in a Community Theater production. But I digress. The OP asked "info/advice on turning SP89 to SBR" so I gave the information as I understand it. Since the OP joined last month and only has seven posts, I thought it would be prudent to bring up 922(R). I also though since he asked for "info/advice" that I would give my opinion.

I know that I have seen a copy of a letter from the Tech Branch stating that 922(R) does in fact apply to a SBR. I didn't save it or remember where I had seen it. Of course a ruling letter only applies to the person it is written to. We have all seen where ruling letter were also in error. For me personally, I think I'd rather er on the side of caution and put the US parts in it. To my limited knowledge no one has been charged with a 922(R) violation itself. It has normally been a "piling on" type of charge. But I could be wrong about that too. Since it would be a serious felony charge and require that I defend myself in Federal Court, I'd think I could buy a HK MP5K sear gun for less than what it would cost to defend myself against that charge. I'd imagine my post and the post by "kmart356" will get this thread deleted. But the OP will get a copy of this in his email notification, if he has that function turned on.

To the OP, as with all the 9X series of guns, to go from a pistol to a SBR, the only item that would be required would be a stock as per the BATF&E definition of "rifle/SBR". The K grip would give better leverage IMHO and the 3-lug would allow you to add a 3-lug mounted can or flash hider. Neither of which are "required" to be a "rifle". Although a vertical grip added to a pistol is an AOW. But that is a whole other thread. Again, good luck with your SP89 SBR project.

Scott
    Last edited by scottinthegrove; 04-06-2011 at 05:45 PM. Reason: Spelling

AGG
    HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER

I was under the impression that NFA "removed" 922(r)--- I may be incorrect!!!

Tony

Unrepentant HKHolic

NFA, as in Machineguns... no, 922r never affected them.

NFA, as is SBRs... yes, always did, it still does.
    45acp... turning human garbage into useful fertilizer since 1911

Auf gebeginning to fixin der gun mit grosse busen of der schpritzin lubrication allen over derfukin platz, mit das squirtin and squeezin oil in allen fukinholes.
    Ja, und racken und strokin das bolt as if gecrazygoing, yanken dat handle bak und forth, zwei hunnert times, ja?
    Ist neue, und its needing some brekkin in.
    Zo, BREKKIN ZEFUKIN THING IN!

Certified MM leghumper...

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

One other thing to think about: once you convert an SP89 pistol to a SBR it can NEVER be converted back to a pistol. To make it Title 1 again, you would have to add barrel length by switching to a 16" barrel or a permanent barrel extension.
    HK Urbach MP5K-N with SWR QD3K
    Fleming Reg. Sear
    Dakota Tactical D54P pistol
    HK USP Tactical w/ Gemtech SOS 45 (ret), Silencerco Osprey 45
    Michael's Machines MM23E
    HK VP9

Supporting Vendor

Quote Originally Posted by vicdoc View Post
    One other thing to think about: once you convert an SP89 pistol to a SBR it can NEVER be converted back to a pistol. To make it Title 1 again, you would have to add barrel length by switching to a 16" barrel or a permanent barrel extension.

is the only reason someone would want to convert it back (yeah, i know one can't) is to save on the $200 stamps so it could be bought/sold cheaper? There's no additional reason, huh?...well I guess to avoid 5320.20's, cleo, and such...

-hh

Unrepentant HKHolic

Right... it's much easier to move a non-restricted rifle than an SBR, which, as you have said, would require a $200 tax on top of whatever the selling price of the rifle is...

Thanks for the info. I had not thought of the 922R aspect since I was thinking that since it was produced prior to the 94 Assault Weapons Bill, it was not an issue. Have to relook it. Agree if 922R applies it would not make since to replace HK parts with a bunch of US. If I was going to do that seems like it would make sense to do it with a clone. Still it seems if you can convert a HK 94 to a MP5K then you could do a SP 89, but guess when people are doing 94's they are putting in full auto sears and registering as class 3s?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Links