+ Reply to Thread

Thread: suppressed MR556?

Really liking this HK Stuff Member

Default suppressed MR556?

i'm wondering, how many have suppressed their MR556? i'm thinking of trying to get one in the near future and was wondering how they run suppressed. and if you got em, pics would be great
    "I'd rather die for something, than live for nothing"
    Jack Bauer

Unrepentant HKHolic

I dont see why they would have any issue

After mine is SBR'd to 10.5 inch I am getting either a Gemtech or AAC M4 but I have to do my research on what is the best one out there right now

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER

Quote Originally Posted by swiss_seth View Post
    After mine is SBR'd to 10.5 inch...
    Who do you plan to have do the barrel work?

Unrepentant HKHolic

Just get the barrel threaded properly for the can and you won't have any of the half moon clips taken out of the last baffle, like all four of my buddies M4-2000s with those damned QD muzzle devices.
    45acp... turning human garbage into useful fertilizer since 1911

Auf gebeginning to fixin der gun mit grosse busen of der schpritzin lubrication allen over derfukin platz, mit das squirtin and squeezin oil in allen fukinholes.
    Ja, und racken und strokin das bolt as if gecrazygoing, yanken dat handle bak und forth, zwei hunnert times, ja?
    Ist neue, und its needing some brekkin in.
    Zo, BREKKIN ZEFUKIN THING IN!

Certified MM leghumper...

Really liking this HK Stuff Member

Ittl be a little while before i get one, but when I do I'm thinking of having Marvin do mine, he does great work plus i like the dimpling too. The reason I ask is my 10.5 inch hk416 hated running suppressed, it ate a bolt catch in about 300 rounds, after I swapped to a 9mm buffer it ran perfect

I hope some day hk will release the adjustable 2 position gas block

Unrepentant HKHolic

Jayson Cotter IGF. he gets all of my work as he has proven to me he does superb work

Unrepentant HKHolic

+ 1 to shat. mind.

Unrepentant HKHolic

Quote Originally Posted by Shattered Mind View Post
    Just get the barrel threaded properly for the can and you won't have any of the half moon clips taken out of the last baffle, like all four of my buddies M4-2000s with those damned QD muzzle devices.
    so then is Gemtech a better design?

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Default Running the HK416/MR556 suppressed. Which suppressor?

@Swiss_Seth. Do you mind sharing your research with the board? In terms of what you looked at? And what you finally decided on and the reasons why?

According to my Google-Fu, it seems that everybody loves SureFire. But man... SF cans are expensive. 4 to 6 times more expensive than Ops Inc. Then again, SureFire suppressors are supposedly used by land-based SF teams. With Navy SF teams using AAC due to reliability when in contact with salt water. Or at least back when the article came out in 2009 (link below).

Defense Review - SureFire FA556-212, Mini, and Micro Rifle/Carbine/SBR Sound Suppressors/Silencers for Military SpecOps Missions

When I recently spoke with a U.S. military SOF operator contact of mine, he had very high praise for the SureFire FA556-212 5.56mm NATO suppressor a.k.a. “212”, specifically. Here’s what he wrote me on July 27, 2009:

“4-5 years ago certain units in SOF started looking for a suppressor to replace the outdated SOPMOD Block I can from KAC. Among the last downselects were the SureFire FA556-212 and an AAC model (I forgot the model but may be able to get that to you later). The Army SOF units went with the SureFire FA556-212 & the SEAL SOF unit went with the AAC. Both cans had similar test results for repeatability, zero-shift, safety, reliability, sound suppression, & most important, flash suppression. The biggest differences are in length, weight, & muzzle adapter. I heard the SEALs liked the AAC because it tested better in a few key areas that interest them, for example reliability, especially in conjuction with salt water. The Army SOF unit chose the Surefire due to it’s very short length & light weight, as well as a very effective muzzle adapter. The 212 birdcage muzzle adapter has suprising flash suppression and decent muzzle climb compensation. I like the Surefire can because our guys keep it on their gun on a constant basis. This is something we didn’t do with the KAC suppressor because it was so long & heavy. Some guys would opt to not use their suppressor, and then when we got into a firefight the enemy would shoot at their muzzle blast. And those guys are sitting right next to me… not cool! Because the Surefire is so short & light, many guys keep it on their guns full time (especially at night). This is what I like about that can. At night it only takes one guy to draw fire onto all of us by shooting without his can on.”

The last sentence was pretty funny, but then again I am sitting at home in the comfort of the security these guys provide.

I tried the search button and found a few other articles related to HK416/MR556 running suppressed.

HK 416 SBR Upper/Suppressor Question
    HK416 Malfuncition

Have not looked at the HK uppers in detail yet. Will do so next weekend, but I am hoping the recent MR556A1 and the recent HK416s have the adjustable gas port that allows the user to switch to suppressed mode.

Am leaning towards the Ops Inc cans or the AAC cans unless the SureFires are really that much better cos their prices are.... Gulp! Crazy expensive!

TYPE SOUND ON 10.4” WITH NORMAL LEVEL AT 166dB?

FA556-212 137dB (135dB on 16”)

Mini-monster 141dB (137dB on 16”)

Mini 141dB (137dB on 16”)

Micro 148dB (139dB on 16”)

M4-M ??

M4-S ??

SUREFIRE SUPPRESSOR COMPARISON CHART

Quote Originally Posted by swiss_seth View Post
    I dont see why they would have any issue

After mine is SBR'd to 10.5 inch I am getting either a Gemtech or AAC M4 but I have to do my research on what is the best one out there right now

HKPRO Professional

Dana, it should run just as well as the 10.5 416 you sold me (and I just sold to a buddy here.) I've gotten to shoot and hear them run with the Surefire and AAC cans back to back, and my preference is the AAC.

+ Reply to Thread

Links