+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: HK sear sold @ $25,000.00 all I can say is wow

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Quote Originally Posted by Alembic View Post
    Please forgive my ignorance (in so many areas), but with all the political concerns in today's world.

What kind of investment do you have if m-guns/sears are banned?
    This is a possible outcome, therefore do not go into this hobby thinking it is an investment. It is a hobby, and if you happen to come out with a positive profit after enjoying it for years count yourself lucky. You could save your money in the bank and watch the money evaporate as inflation destroys it, or see your financial investments go down in value 50% when the next bubble bursts.
    One of my hobby guns:
    HK Urbach MP5K-N with SWR QD3K
    Fleming Reg. Sear
    Dakota Tactical D54P pistol
    HK USP Tactical w/ Gemtech SOS 45 (ret), Silencerco Osprey 45
    Michael's Machines MM23E
    HK VP9

Makes me feel better about the $30k I spent for the SD built on a 94, a K built on a 89, and Fleming sear in a burst pack a month ago.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER

This is my thinking as well. I initially told myself this was an investment to justify buying into this game, but in all actuality it was just an excuse to have a ton of fun for many years.

Quote Originally Posted by vicdoc View Post
    This is a possible outcome, therefore do not go into this hobby thinking it is an investment. It is a hobby, and if you happen to come out with a positive profit after enjoying it for years count yourself lucky. You could save your money in the bank and watch the money evaporate as inflation destroys it, or see your financial investments go down in value 50% when the next bubble bursts.
    One of my hobby guns:

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER

I agree with ^^.... It's a hobby and a fun one and as a bonus kicker the asset involved doesnt rapidly depreciate (x for ammo !) like most other man-hobbies (think cars, bikes, etc). All that is well and good.

BUT....with $30k guns about to becomes routine...I see fewer people getting involved in our beloved sport as a true man-hobby. When guns costs as much as cars and they appreciate then one moves into investor world and all that entails...which is often times much different than man-hobbies. And it bothers me personally (but Im no anti-free market commie bastard so please dont get off on that tangent). You see...it differs from other collectibles in a certain way...you are paying all that $$ simply for a registration fee and not for the underlying product (which is more like $1,500). That kinda sux to me. Also it's becoming a sport of the rich or realm of investors. Im not talking about pedigree'd collectible firearms here (which like all collectibles have their own peculiar market) but simply run of the mill MGs in general. As prices inflate I'd imagine more "investor" types and less true shooter-gun fan types will become buyers and thus these guns will see much less range time and more safe time. That's a shame to me as I'm a shooter. True collectors may feel o/w and I understand that. Like I've said before it brings me no pleasure whatsoever when answering "It's runs about $25k " to the semi shooting redneck one bay over who asked me "How much does that gun cost?".

I feel the Govt has done a complete end run around the 2cd amendment first by 1934 law and then esp with the Hughes amendment which has cause these massive price distortions.

Add to these crazy prices the ever lengthening form approval times and well....this "hobby" starts to stink. Who in their right mind pays $30k upfront for a hobby item and then cant take it home (its not being built new mind you!) for 18 mo (2 x 9mo. form 4's)? That's a steep price to play. And it has approached my limit...mostly with the ridiculous ATF waits. I'm serious. Like all of us I have other things to do with my time and money than jack off with the ATF for 1.5 yrs for a freaking gun. I could literally die before the transfer completed. And all for what? I am grateful I now have a small reasonable stable of MGs although I certainly would like MANY more. But to be honest....at these prices coupled with these wait times...screw it. My MG buying spree that started in '99 is officially over. I'm done buying. Congrats Uncle Sam for ruining my sport!

...and yes I love HKs and yes I still shoot and yes I'm pissed/irrational and yes I do WANT more MGs/HKs and yes I support the HK and MG community ....but I've reached my limit personally for new acquisition. Laugh at me as a kook now....but you will reach your limit too lil' grasshoppers. Hpw about 2 year in state form 4 times and $50k for MP5? How's that? Still a "fun hobby"?...Geeeeeezzzzz....

rant over

HKPRO Professional

Well I'm officially out of the game myself before I even got a chance to start. At 25k+ I could maybe swing it in a couple years but by that point it will have jumped in price again and out of reach, unless I hit the powerball. I just can't afford to spend what a car cost on a gun that initially is just a toy, then there's the possibility of an investment.

Congrats to everyone who is able to afford it, you must have worked hard to get it so I can't be upset with that fact and congratulations to those who got one when they were dirt cheap, atleast to today's standards.

I've shot my fair share of FA's in the Marines and I do miss it, wish I could get into it in the civilian world that's for sure. I don't miss picking up 1000's of pieces of brass up after tho haha
    If you don't own a USP you're wrong. Change that today by supporting the USP line, and buy one today. GB is just a click away.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER

^^^^and that's what bothers me folks... an HKpro poster with 590 posts priced out of owning MP5 bc of govt regs and BS. That just sux...for all of us as a community....

Desperately Needs Treatment

Quote Originally Posted by rhouston8 View Post
    ^^^^and that's what bothers me folks... an HKpro poster with 590 posts priced out of owning MP5 bc of govt regs and BS. That just sux...for all of us as a community....
    I agree
    Some stuff....

Really liking this HK Stuff Member

Glad I got my sear when I did. Better investment than my 401k.

Very Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by rhouston8 View Post
    I agree with ^^.... It's a hobby and a fun one and as a bonus kicker the asset involved doesnt rapidly depreciate (x for ammo !) like most other man-hobbies (think cars, bikes, etc). All that is well and good.

BUT....with $30k guns about to becomes routine...I see fewer people getting involved in our beloved sport as a true man-hobby. When guns costs as much as cars and they appreciate then one moves into investor world and all that entails...which is often times much different than man-hobbies. And it bothers me personally (but Im no anti-free market commie bastard so please dont get off on that tangent). You see...it differs from other collectibles in a certain way...you are paying all that $$ simply for a registration fee and not for the underlying product (which is more like $1,500). That kinda sux to me. Also it's becoming a sport of the rich or realm of investors. Im not talking about pedigree'd collectible firearms here (which like all collectibles have their own peculiar market) but simply run of the mill MGs in general. As prices inflate I'd imagine more "investor" types and less true shooter-gun fan types will become buyers and thus these guns will see much less range time and more safe time. That's a shame to me as I'm a shooter. True collectors may feel o/w and I understand that. Like I've said before it brings me no pleasure whatsoever when answering "It's runs about $25k " to the semi shooting redneck one bay over who asked me "How much does that gun cost?".

I feel the Govt has done a complete end run around the 2cd amendment first by 1934 law and then esp with the Hughes amendment which has cause these massive price distortions.

Add to these crazy prices the ever lengthening form approval times and well....this "hobby" starts to stink. Who in their right mind pays $30k upfront for a hobby item and then cant take it home (its not being built new mind you!) for 18 mo (2 x 9mo. form 4's)? That's a steep price to play. And it has approached my limit...mostly with the ridiculous ATF waits. I'm serious. Like all of us I have other things to do with my time and money than jack off with the ATF for 1.5 yrs for a freaking gun. I could literally die before the transfer completed. And all for what? I am grateful I now have a small reasonable stable of MGs although I certainly would like MANY more. But to be honest....at these prices coupled with these wait times...screw it. My MG buying spree that started in '99 is officially over. I'm done buying. Congrats Uncle Sam for ruining my sport!

...and yes I love HKs and yes I still shoot and yes I'm pissed/irrational and yes I do WANT more MGs/HKs and yes I support the HK and MG community ....but I've reached my limit personally for new acquisition. Laugh at me as a kook now....but you will reach your limit too lil' grasshoppers. Hpw about 2 year in state form 4 times and $50k for MP5? How's that? Still a "fun hobby"?...Geeeeeezzzzz....

rant over
    I pretty much agree with you. The cost isn't really knocking me out yet (It will soon though). These times are getting ridiculous though. I mailed out my Form 4 2.5 months ago for my M60, and it just went pending lol. Come on!

Very Senior Member

Sorry to hear that man, and I hate hearing stuff like this. If I had the cash, I'd buy you one for your service. I'm so tired of our idiotic government trying to "save people" when they have no idea what they are doing making these laws.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodmar View Post
    Well I'm officially out of the game myself before I even got a chance to start. At 25k+ I could maybe swing it in a couple years but by that point it will have jumped in price again and out of reach, unless I hit the powerball. I just can't afford to spend what a car cost on a gun that initially is just a toy, then there's the possibility of an investment.

Congrats to everyone who is able to afford it, you must have worked hard to get it so I can't be upset with that fact and congratulations to those who got one when they were dirt cheap, atleast to today's standards.

I've shot my fair share of FA's in the Marines and I do miss it, wish I could get into it in the civilian world that's for sure. I don't miss picking up 1000's of pieces of brass up after tho haha

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Links