Gemtech MK9K
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Gemtech MK9K

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Gemtech MK9K

Is there any notable difference from a S14 MK9K 3 lug and one of this years manufacture? I've been trying to buy one new but am not having much luck.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

You shouldn't settle for anything < S-15 or newer for the Gemtech MK-9K, if that's what you really want. As far as I've seen, Gemtech's supply to distributors this year have all been date coded S15. I went with S15 x2, both cleared form 3 and were delivered to my local SOT a couple weeks ago:

(S12 was the last year for the UMP .45 QD from Gemtech)

Changes for their latest MK-9K includes new packaging design I was told. For any of the latest revisions, I doubt even Gemtech could answer such specifics since they seem to be the least knowledgeable about their product, but there have been many changes to their 3-lug over the years (total of 5 variants pictured in this thread).
    Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content , Hidden Content July 14th,
    check cleared July 18th, & stamp ETA: May/June 2017.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

No. Only 3lug has changed. SilencerShop has bought all of GTIs next run of MK9K. So might wait for them to list them or buy a NOS model
    [Insert Witty Comment Here]

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for the info, I had a few dealers that said they have stock ordered in January that has still not arrived. I am first in line if/when those show up. However I wasn't sure if an S14 or S15 was much different. (Good info Neo S16 may not even exist yet, I didn't realize that)

I guess I'll just keep waiting and see if SS lists any or this shop gets their 7mo old order.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Call Gemtech and see if you can buy their latest MK-9K 3-lug adapter? If so, it wouldn't matter what year it was made, so long as it's new. I bought my S05, in 2014. It was new, and cheap. I called GemTech to ask if it mattered, and was told the tube and baffles are unchanged (as of 2014, when I called) and only the 3-lug is different. Ive had no issues with my 3-lug, and I didnt want to wait until who knows when, to have a new batch made. And even now, SS said they bought their entire next run of MK-9K, so what does that mean for all the other dealers who have 2-3 on order? They have to wait for the 2nd production run on this low production volume suppressor? Sorta sucks for them....

Unrepentant HKHolic

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

My limited understanding is the original 9mm 3-lug mount Gemtech used for their MK9K was the original Raptor mount. There were some issues with that mount especially with the heavier MK9K can, as the Raptor 40 has a bigger and stronger spring to hold the can onto the lugs. The MK9K went out of production. Gemtech developed the Raptor 40 as the MP5-40 and MP5-10 were all the rage. The .40 caliber MP5s uses the same lug configuration as the 9mm 3-lug except that the muzzle diameter is larger. So a 9mm 3-lug can can not be mounted on a .40 caliber 3-lug barrel. Gemtech designed a new .40 caliber 3-lug mount for the Raptor 40 to use with either a MP5-40 or MP5-10.

About 10 years ago, there was a resurgence of interest in a return of the MK9K into production. While the MK9K is an older, heavier design, for the deeper tone it produces. Gemtech decided to use the Raptor 40 3-lug mount on the MK9K when the MK9K was put back into production. The difference between the 9mm MK9K mount and the Raptor 40 .40 caliber mount is the "piston" (Gemtech's term for the part of the mount that goes over the muzzle of the firearm) in the 3-lug for the 9mm MK9K was made thicker to take up the diameter difference between the 9mm and .40 caliber muzzle diameters.

I'm fortunate enough to have found a .40 caliber MK9K (Gemtech only made a few). It was originally thread mounted on a MP5-40. I sent the can back to Gemtech and had a 3-lug mount installed. When I got it back it had a 9mm MK9K mount. I asked Dr Dater if I could buy a .40 caliber 3-lug mount. I was told that they no longer stocked the mounts. The only .40 caliber 3-lug mounts they had was on the Raptor 40s they had in stock. So the following April I bought a Raptor 40 during their "Gem Tax" promotion. When I got the can I realized that the only difference between my 9mm MK9K mount and the Raptor 40 mount was the inside diameter of the piston. So I bought two MK9K pistons, took them to a local gunsmith, and had one of the pistons inside diameter of the 9mm bored out to the inside diameter of the .40 caliber piston from the Raptor 40. So now I have a 9mm and .40 caliber piston so I can use both my .40 caliber MK9K on either 9mm or .40 caliber 3-lugs. Dr Dater told me not to use the .40 caliber MK9K with 10mm. So I use the .40 caliber MK9K for 9mm and .40 S&W. I had a thread I started 40 Caliber Raptor Multicaliber Use (9mm, 40 S&W, 10mm Auto) For 3-lug Aplications with pictures showing the differences between the 9mm and .40 caliber pistons. I also have a couple of Gemtech 3-lug flash hiders that used the old 3-lug mount to compare the spring and piston from the old mount to the new mount piston and springs if anyone is interested. YMMV.

Scott

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by scottinthegrove View Post
    I'm fortunate enough to have found a .40 caliber MK9K (Gemtech only made a few). It was originally thread mounted on a MP5-40. I sent the can back to Gemtech and had a 3-lug mount installed. When I got it back it had a 9mm MK9K mount. I asked Dr Dater if I could buy a .40 caliber 3-lug mount. I was told that they no longer stocked the mounts.
    Scott
    It's no wonder people complain about Gemtech so much. They mounted a 9mm 3-lug to your .40 caliber can? It doesn't get much goofier than that. How does the Raptor sound versus the MK9K?

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralPurpose View Post
    How does the Raptor sound versus the MK9K?
    About a year ago I posted videos of my son shooting a MP5K with both cans using 147 gr Remington ammunition. Someone commented that he thought the two can were about as quiet as each other. That may be true in terms of measured dB levels but the tone of the two cans are quite different and noticeable to the shooter. My best explanation was that I thought the Raptor can had a little more clap or crack whereas the MK9K was more of a thud.

You should be able to find the vids via a search. There are also on You Tube.
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NFATCA Member

Really liking this HK Stuff Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I love the idea of the MK9K, I hate that it's unobtanium. Limited production runs, lack of customer support, lack of legacy support, etc.... I went with a bowers Ver9s in the mean time. I'm sure i'll eventually end up with an MK9K, but who knows when that will be. Point being that if you're waiting for an MK9K, you'll have a longer wait or a more expensive wait than you care to have. There are other high volume options that have great track records of customer service and availability.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    “Elections have consequences, and at the end of the day, I won.”
    — Barack Hussein Obama, January 23, 2009

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links