HKPRO Forums banner

Suppressed MP5K gas

4K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  Nanite 
#1 ·
A couple weeks ago I had the opportunity to shoot a Gemtech suppressed Zenith K model SBR. I noticed that after 10-15 shots, there was so much gas in my face I had to turn away, breathe, and blink it away.

Is this normal for the K guns?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 ·
Which GemTech? Did you shoot more than one type of 9mm ammo? I ask because on my Reverse Stretch MP5 (same front end ) and a SilencerCo Octane9, I have not noticed too much blowback. And, it seems like some ammo is stinkier than others. My handloads being a bit more stinky than say, UMC 147gr.

#4 ·
It was not my equipment so I'm not sure. It might have been a Multimount. It had a 3 lug adapter on it and was 9mm.

As far as ammo, it was supplied by the owner of the gun. It was something subsonic and might have been PPU/Prvi. We also shot Winchester white box, but I think that was all supersonic ammo that we shot unsuppressed. He also brought a few rounds of a hand load he was dialing in.

#9 ·
I run a GemTech Raptor II on both my Dakota Tactical & DJ Getz K guns and I almost never experience gas blowback in the face. Ammo I typically run is Geco 124gr, Federal AE 124gr, and Speer Lawman 147gr TMJ.

Where you inside or out? Have any draft/wind in your direction? etc

#10 ·
Thanks for sharing the experience. I was at an indoor range.

The guy also had an Uzi which used the same suppressor and there was hardly any gas in my face.

Not sure what kind of ammo he had loaded in the Uzi mags.

#15 ·
I shoot a DJ Getz MP5SD with integral suppressor and registered auto sear. Very cool gun and an extremely stable platform, but I literally have to hold my breath with every mag dump*. I assume that full auto is aggregating the gas problem that Edogg reports.
-
*I'm not a "short controlled burst" kinda guy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.