HKPRO Forums banner

Ideas on next sear host - PTR 32 vs mmHK13 vs HK91 vs wait on ???

12K views 30 replies 12 participants last post by  JTinIN 
#1 · (Edited)
Been looking at another host for the HK sears (currently have HK91, HK93, 33K, 53, MP5 and MP5K plus a 1919A4 fills in the basic belt gun roll) and would appreciate a few ideas and what everyone has found to be their most used host(s):

Currently looking at the following:

PTR 32 or similar 7.62x39: Historically there have been issues with HK 7.62x39 hosts, but cost of ammo and recoil being a little better than .308 still makes this a primary interest.

MM HK13: Friend has one, nearly fills the LMG roll, however, question of saving the three grand for next years belt version at over double this cost.

HK91 (NFA Grade): Have a nice HK91 with PSG1 trigger and MSG90A1 stock that almost shoots too well to be used as a sear host, however, since have FALs using the existing HK91 as a sear host is an option (I guess ;-(. In the past have enjoyed friends HK91 sear hosts and at this point in time I am even trying to trade him an AUG for one (low probability as he never gets ride of anything). Have looked at the clone's and typically if I can get an HK for with in a grand more, then get the HK.

Primary reason for the post is what other options would everyone consider besides the MP5SD (friend has one, shoots great however don't like the fumes in the eyes besides have a separate suppressor).

See less See more
#4 ·
I talked to Ghilliebear recently about the 7.62x39 rifle. He has made several modifications which have resulted in a significant level of recoil reduction over the original design. If you make a choice for that caliber I would suggest that you contact him.
If you choose to wait until the MM23 is released, it sounds like you have plenty of goodies to tie you over until then.

However, why not get both?!

:)

#6 ·
I like the M16 platform for 5.56x45 and firepower covered with my Shrike. Got the G3k, and got the 9mm HK models covered. I've got a ton of 7.62x39 (and its still cheap) that I'll never shoot all of thru my Red Dawn AKM.....now an AK-104.

My next sear host will be a 7.62x39......probably 91 based for the extra weight and stability of full auto fire and contingent upon the mag well adapter thingie working out. My concern is the american made bbls will not last with the type of recreational shooting I do.......so I took some measurements off a virgin chrome lined Maadi AK bbl and compared it to a virgin G3 bbl I have......and it looks like it would work nicely. The chamber stub on the AK bbl is slightly larger than the HK and almost identical in length.........the portion of the bbl that would fall under the triple frame is slightly undersized and would probably have to be sleeved.......same thing done on a G3k conversion.

#8 ·
Have a loan/gift of a grand out on the Shrike for the M16A1, which at this time shoot with a HBAR barrel and an Aimpoint for an interesting 5.56x45 host. But between the gas tube, no quick change barrel (not that it is that hard to change at home ;-) and limits of Beta mags one finds the HBAR M16A1 to fall short of friends SAW and actual GPMs.

Thanks for the info and like your idea on the Maadi AK barrel ... a 32K would be interesting.

#7 ·
PTR Inc. contacted me about using my magwell converter in the PTR 32 rifle. If it works out, hopefully they will out on the market soon. If you want one now, gilliebear has some for sale. He is a great guy. I sent him my prototype to play with. I'm sorry I sent it to you broken gilliebear. :37:

#12 · (Edited)

I even loved watching this guy at one of the North Country Shoots in New Hampshire run off 500 rounds straight through his '60... non stop. She was smoking purty dang good, but the crowd went wild. By the way, this was one of the very guys to do the back pack dealies. This photo that I took was from like 1990/91.

#17 · (Edited)
One of the guys brought a Shrike to this years ISSMC subgun match for the un-official pre and post match fun shoots. Last year he had an HK23e which was extremely nice and if "easily" obtained would be the best option for another HK sear host.

When I got a go at shooting it this year, the Shrike was working fine for many a belt (still not a Vickers but is a lot smaller and lighter). The the total of one example I saw and fired was at the time working ok (someone comment had been issues earlier in the day when I was still setting up).

http://www.issmc.com/videos/2008_videos_skrike_firing_take3.htm

http://www.issmc.com/videos/2008_videos_skrike_firing_take1.htm

#21 ·
THAT would be a major pain to get running. Same basic problems the Brownings are having... the rimmed cartridge needs to be spaced out more, like in the Russian guns. To reverse engineer that into a 21 would be insanely problematic.

But go ahead, you build it and if it runs, you'll have no trouble selling it.

#23 ·
No, it could be rammed straight forward outta the belt, but like you pointed out, there's that rim to contend with... might be doable. But it ain't gonna be easy to make it work reliably.

#27 ·
I'd go 13 and then call up Mike... there was something about making a shorty 13...

Oooo!

This post has been deleted
This post has been deleted
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.