ATF 922r PARTS COMPLIANCE
Per ATF regulation 922r, any rifle assembled in a confguration that is banned from importation must not contain more than 10 imported parts as listed in the regulation. The SL8 as imported has 15 parts as listed in 922r. If you convert your SL8 to a G36-style configuration, you are bound by 922r and must replace enough imported parts with U.S. made parts to be compliant.
SL8 922r parts count as imported...
6) Gas piston
8) Disconnector (slide)
12) Forearm (handguard)
13) Mag body
14) Mag follower
15) Mag floorplate
When you convert to G36-style, your parts count increases to 16...
16) Pistol grip
Add a factory HK flash hider and it increases to 17...
17) Muzzle attachment
Here is a list of widely available U.S. parts...
1) Flash hider (HKPARTS.net, IGF, sometimes me)
2) Bolt-head (HDPS, TN)
3) Trigger (HDPS, TN-rare)
4) Piston (HDPS, TN)
5) Op-rod (HDPS)
7) Sear (HKPARTS.net)
8) Mag follower (Tbostic)
9) Mag floorplate (HDPS, Tbostic)
10) Stock (TN or U.S. made M4-style)
11) Pistol grip (TN)
12) Forearm (Knight's Armament, Surefire)
- U.S. made AR mags, Promags and Magpul mags count as 3 U.S. made parts: body, follower and floorplate
PARTS NEEDED FOR CONVERSION
- G36 rear stub or stock-block
- G36 backplate (only when using a G36 rear stub)
- G36 pistol grip (stripped)
- G36 or AR magwell
- G36 bolt-head (double-stack mags)(stripped or complete--can reuse the extractor and ejector from the SL8 bh)
- G36 stock and axle pin
- One EXTRA push pin (G36's require 3 total--the SL8 come with 2--when using the TN stock-block, only 2 are needed)
- Choice of sight rail (optional)
- Choice of hanguard (optional)
- Op-rod (only for C-style barrels)
Here's what you will use from the SL8...
- Magwell (used to make the window cover or if using single-stack mags)
- Fire-control-group (FCG)
- Handguard (unless using a different one)
- Sight rail (unless using a different one)
- Both push-pins
- Recoil rod
- Piston (can be cut down to spec if using a K or C-style barrel)
- Op-rod (can be cut down to spec if using a K-style barrel)
- Bolt-head (unless using double-stack mags)
- Bolt-head extractor and ejector (unless using a complete G36 bh)
- These are general lists. Parts in either list should be replaced with U.S. made parts in order to comply with ATF 922r imported parts count.
WHERE TO OBTAIN PARTS
HKPARTS - http://www.hkparts.net
HDPS - http://www.hdps.org
Gordon Miller - http://www.hkspecialist.net
Phil Flack - P.F. Custom Guns - HKPRO: Phil Flack
IGF - http://www.investmentgradefirearms.com
I hope you all found this thread helpful. If I missed anything important, please post a reply and I will update the orginal post accordingly. This is actually my second attempt at this... the first time I was nearly done and my web browser froze... UGH!... so I may have missed a few things.