+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: PBB how to bend an HK flat

Default PBB how to bend an HK flat

I thought I would post this as a new thread so it might be easier for folks tring to bend these to find down the road

The grooves for the scope mount are cut after the flat is bent and welded. The rust is a non issue as everybody else has mentioned. These flats are a breeze to bend, somewhere around 5 minutes if you have a 6" wide vice and some properly sized drill rod.

Here are a few pics, the first pics shows the end veiw of the "flat" , after comparing this to another stripped rec it appears the cocking tube portion is the only bend left to form, and if you look closely you will see three short portions of the tube have alredy been partialy formed.

Basicly athe bending of this flat is much like bending an ak flat, I started with the jaws of the vise about 1.5" apart (similar to the top of the female ak die) . I ran a peice of 3/4" drill rod down the center of the flat and centered it over the opening in the vise and proceded to tighten the two clamps on the ends which quickly begins forming the shell, I took a peice of aluminum scrap an a hammer and hit the center of the drill rod a few times to insure the middle was bending properly. and tightened the vice a little as I went and here are the results

somewhere in the process of tightening the vise the top of the cocking tube will start to pull away from the 3/4" rod slightly and its time to change the setup slightly, What I did was put a peice of 3/4" sqaure stock in the bottom of the vise and the 3/4" rod thru the receiver and used the clamps to pull the rod and rec down snugly against the 3/4" sqaure. I then took two peices of 3/16" drill rod on either side of the cocking tube in the bend where it transitions from small to large and tightened the whole mess up in the vise . Also tapped up and down the length of 3/4" rod with aluminum scrap and a ball peen hammer . These pics should make it clear.

Default Nice info.

Great info, but where to find a flat?

LEO
    HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER

I do enjoy seeing the guns being built.. I wold LOVE to go to HK and watch the process from start to end.

Even better.. to be given the gun afterward. :)

MP5K, MP5, MP5SD, HK53, P7M8, P7M8 (Chrome)

Desperately Needs Treatment

Bending these flats 100% straight like Hk recievers is very hard to do. Obviously Vector arms can not even do it since every one of the 4 recievers I bought from them was warped way out of true HK spec.

LEO
    HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER

How is it that these clone companies cannot get it right?

They should have everything to do the job right.. but some how cannot.

I have heard so many bad things about Bobcat and Vector.... So glad I never bought one.

Very Senior Member

I have an HK94 flat that I'm not yet ready to "experiment" with, as it was not cheap.

Do y'all anyone who can bend my 94 flat?

I have a few people who are ready to build the rifle for me but I need this flat bent. (Trying to contact Jayson at IGF but I'm sure he's swamped for a loooong time)

Thoughts?

CMOS

PS - Great thread and pics!
    There's plenty of room on Earth for all of God's animals - right next to the mashed potatoes...

Quote Originally Posted by CMOS View Post
    I have an HK94 flat that I'm not yet ready to "experiment" with, as it was not cheap.

Do y'all anyone who can bend my 94 flat?

I have a few people who are ready to build the rifle for me but I need this flat bent. (Trying to contact Jayson at IGF but I'm sure he's swamped for a loooong time)

Thoughts?

CMOS

PS - Great thread and pics!
    I'm having Jayson at IGF do mine. I picked up a factory HK flat and contacted Jayson to see if he could do it. He said he could and that his build time was in the neighborhood of 3 months. I've seen some of his work and have no problem with him doing the build. As far as I'm concerned his work is the full equal if not superior to factory HK. His welds are like an artform. Good luck, I can't wait to have mine built as I just got the flat in today.

Very Senior Member

Lt.,

As of about 2 weeks ago my entire kit and flat are in Jayson's hands. This flat was too expensive for me screw up.....

CMOS

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Do the " Flats " have serial numbers and model # and such on them ?
    P2000sk .40 LEM

P2000sk 9mm DA/SA

HK USC, in Evil Black

Will sell Soul for a factory UMP :)

Unrepentant HKHolic

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Do the " Flats " have serial numbers and model # and such on them ?
    No. There are no numbers or letters on them at all.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Links