+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Breaking in new gun -- detail clean first?

Default Breaking in new gun -- detail clean first?

Hi, i am new here and my first HK (an hk45) is to arrive soon.

I read in some other thread that the HK pistols ship with some kind of "packing grease" and some people recommended to detail strip the pistol to clean all the grease off all internal parts.
    Is that really necessary? And if so, would you put grease back on the trigger/hammer internals or just lube it with CPL?

My plan now is to just field strip, clean the barrel and slide and lube them, and put some drops of CPL into the trigger/sear/hammer mechanism (without taking it apart) Does that make sense?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Unrepentant HKHolic

I always strip a new gun down and clean it completely to remove any manufacturing debris and start with a clean slate. Of course it will need to be re-lubed. I use CLP or synthetic motor oil
    Yes Virginia, there are ancient conspiracies in high places

German guns, German girls, German cars, German beer and German dogs.. what's not to like?

Thanks for the reply -- I am a bit hesitant though to detail strip. I just watched the DVD 'disassembly and reassembly of the USP' and it looks quite tricky to get everything back in the right way -- and the hk45 is presumably slightly different from the USP. I have no trouble though detail stripping my 1911 so I guess I should be ok.

It seems though that Todd G. at pistol-training.com started the HK45 endurance test without doing a 'detail' cleaning..

AWD
    HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER

Congratulations on your new HK!

Clean the heavy preservative grease from under the slide. Run a solvent-soaked patch down the bore, followed by a few dry patches (you'd be suprised the crud that will come out of a "new" bore!) That's it. Go shoot it... of course everyone is different, but this has worked on all my HK's.

AWD

Unrepentant HKHolic

I would remove ALL grease, detail clean the gun and then oil it. No need to replace grease. They just use grease to rust proof as they have NO idea how long the gun will be sitting in a warehouse, on the dealer's shelf or WHERE the gun will be sitting until it's final sale.
    45acp... turning human garbage into useful fertilizer since 1911

Auf gebeginning to fixin der gun mit grosse busen of der schpritzin lubrication allen over derfukin platz, mit das squirtin and squeezin oil in allen fukinholes.
    Ja, und racken und strokin das bolt as if gecrazygoing, yanken dat handle bak und forth, zwei hunnert times, ja?
    Ist neue, und its needing some brekkin in.
    Zo, BREKKIN ZEFUKIN THING IN!

Certified MM leghumper...

Desperately Needs Treatment

There's no need to detail strip.

Buy a can of synthetic safe Gun Scrubber, non-chlorinated brake cleaner or
    any other aerosol spray cleaner of your choice, then generously spray the frame
    and slide of your pistol.

Catch the run off in a pan and you'll be amazed at the crud that comes out of
    a new pistol.

Re-lube it with your lube of choice and shoot it.

Unrepentant HKHolic

Agreed on the detail strip not required if you use some sort of pressure cleaning or vibratory solvent tank cleaning method

Thanks for all the great replies! This is very helpful.
    At least i learned that the grease that the pistol comes with is mostly meant to protect against rust and not so much because it is the best lube. So, i will just see how much is in the internals and if i can clean and re-lube it without detail stripping (which also saves my warranty..)

Unrepentant HKHolic

Clean yes, detail clean, hell no. First of all detail stripping your pistol voids the warranty. You do more wear and tear on your pistol doing a DS than if you left the darned thing a bit dirty. Clean it like you would if you just returned from a day of shooting. Follow the normal cleaning instructions and oil lightly and you are good to go. I'd wager more USPs have been damaged from over cleaning than from under cleaning.
    Join the NRA
    On the 8th day God created HKs.
    Beware speaking with a sharp tongue as you are apt to cut your own throat.

mew
    Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bore View Post
    Clean yes, detail clean, hell no. First of all detail stripping your pistol voids the warranty. I'd wager more USPs have been damaged from over cleaning than from under cleaning.
    exactly........
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
    Edmund Burke

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links