+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is it "OK " to shoot Lead bullets ...?

Question Is it "OK " to shoot Lead bullets ...?

Hello everyone. I have a question to those who knows.Guys help the rookie please. I just bought a HK USPc .40 S&W. And I have found cartridges from double tap ammunition :

.40 S&W 200gr. WFNGC : DoubleTap Ammunition

and I was woundering if it is will be safe for it to shoot 200gr. Lead bullets тhrough a pipe?
    Thanks in advance.
    H&K USP Compact V-3 9mm. H&K P30 V-3 9mm. H&K P7PSP 9mm H&K P2000 V-3 9mm. H&K P2000 V-3 .40S&W H&K USP Compact V-3 .40S&W H&K P2000SK V-2 LEM 9mm

Very Senior Member

Holy S $44 for 50rnds of lead?!?! Yikes
    Lead is not reccamended for polygonal rifling due to excessive leading. I suppose if you keep a close eye on you would be fine but for $44 go get some FMJ

KZ

Quote Originally Posted by kzguns View Post
    Holy S $44 for 50rnds of lead?!?! Yikes
    Lead is not reccamended for polygonal rifling due to excessive leading. I suppose if you keep a close eye on you would be fine but for $44 go get some FMJ

KZ
    kzguns Thanks for the reply. Yes, I know that it is expensive.What attracted me, this 200 grains bullets. But the problem I found more if lead is safe to shoot through the gun barrel .I was not sure. Once again thank you.

Merchant of Death (Admin)

Not a good idea as a steady diet in polygonal barrels. And you might want to consider a new avatar. Yours is pretty darn close to the one used by one of the moderators, sobriquet. Having two of those faces round here is a bit off putting <going back to my coffee>
    "Crushing the bejeezus out of targets since 1968!"

Wondering what happened to your posts???
    Please take a moment to re-read the terms that
    you agreed to
    when you signed up:
    Posting Rules.

Help bring sense to the NFA world, join NFATCA.

Quote Originally Posted by straightgrain View Post
    Not a good idea as a steady diet in polygonal barrels.
    Ok ,Thank you. :)Although, I think if lead will appear it is got to be very simple to clean it?
    And then on the other side, if the question is about a few shots only in case of self defense, leading problem becomes not considerable. IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by straightgrain View Post
    And you might want to consider a new avatar. Yours is pretty darn close to the one used by one of the moderators, sobriquet. Having two of those faces round here is a bit off putting <going back to my coffee>
    Oh, I didn't know that. Ok, no problem. I just made this newone avatar my self.

PS: I beg pardon for English, it is my second language.

Merchant of Death (Admin)

You seem to be doing just fine! Leading is something that can be taken care of as long as you clean *before* it becomes a serious impediment. A few rounds here and there is not going to be a huge problem.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

I shoot almost ALL lead bullets in my pistols. I DO use moly coated projectiles. I get NO lead fouling with those. I even have some that are supersonic in 9MM with no leading. See www.billybullets.com
    NRA Life Member

NRA Certified Instructor

From the Great Free State of Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by M_E_ View Post
    I shoot almost ALL lead bullets in my pistols. I DO use moly coated projectiles. I get NO lead fouling with those. I even have some that are supersonic in 9MM with no leading. See www.billybullets.com
    "MOLY-KOTE is especially suited to lubricating bullets shot through steel barrels, the coating is harder than the lead alloy bullets and melts at a much higher temperature so it stays intact and forms a coating around the bullet much like copper jacket but at a much lower cost to the consumer." --- Interesting. Thank you, M_E_

Really liking this HK Stuff Member

I don't know why you'd want a 200g .40 unless you were mixing and making loads for USPSA Major or something like that.... And that price seems way out of line; 88 cents a shot. Personally I reload but if I didn't - I'd buy something a lot less expensive. Here's a start. 40 S&W Indoor Range Ammo - 180 gr TMJ Clean-Fire - Speer Lawman 40 cal Ammunition - 50 Rounds
    USP's are best Cocked and Locked.
    Not joining the NRA and owning a gun is like watching your roommates cable TV and not sharing the cost.

Quote Originally Posted by nwusp45 View Post
    I don't know why you'd want a 200g .40 unless you were mixing and making loads for USPSA Major or something like that.... And that price seems way out of line; 88 cents a shot. Personally I reload but if I didn't - I'd buy something a lot less expensive. Here's a start. 40 S&W Indoor Range Ammo - 180 gr TMJ Clean-Fire - Speer Lawman 40 cal Ammunition - 50 Rounds
    I perfectly understand that it not for everyday shooting.I am not so rich to pay such money. :D I just wanted to try it to see how is it? . Also I was interested there with a phrase, I quote: "Deep Penetrating and hard-hitting! This load offer both for woods and hunting applications." .So, I'm thinking it would be nice to have around box or two rounds like this.
    Last edited by Swarog; 02-26-2012 at 06:33 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Links