+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sighting in

Default Sighting in

I finally was able to get to the range and fire my new PTR 91. I mounted a scope on it and had to sight it in. I have never sighted in a scope that sits this high off the barrel and it took me almost 40 rounds to get it roughly sighted at 50 yards. Usually I will bore sight the scope but due to the fact the scope is mounted so high I was unable to do that too. So I was looking for tips and suggestion on how to do this for future reference. I guess next time I should start by making rough adjustment at shorter distances first and then gradually work it to the distance I want to zero in. But is there any bore sighting tools out there that allow you to bore sight a high mounted scope.
    Sir, stupid simply cannot be fixed.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

A high mount scope isn't a problem. What IS a problem is scope canting. I would recommend you get a bubble level to attach to the rifle to eleminate the issues. No problen @ 100 yards but it becomes a real issues at greater distances. on target at 200 yards with a 1degree cant isnt bad but you will have a clean miss at 300.
    NRA Life Member

NRA Certified Instructor

From the Great Free State of Arizona

Desperately Needs Treatment

Quote Originally Posted by M_E_ View Post
    A high mount scope isn't a problem. What IS a problem is scope canting. I would recommend you get a bubble level to attach to the rifle to eleminate the issues. No problen @ 100 yards but it becomes a real issues at greater distances. on target at 200 yards with a 1degree cant isnt bad but you will have a clean miss at 300.
    Exactly what do you mean by scope canting? Oh and thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by Slamfire View Post
    Exactly what do you mean by scope canting?
    The cross hairs are not perpendicular with the bore. When you adjust up/down you get some left/right too. This makes getting centered on the bullseye very challenging.

One way to test for a level scope is to shoot a "box"

shoot a group, adjust the scope up a few inches, say 5, shoot a group, then right 5, down 5, and back up 5. You should wind up with a square.

if its not level your scope is not level .... or the scope has a problem with adjustments.

How would I adjust the scope to level it? Are there special mounts or shims I would need?

There are various tools sold for leveling.

Hopefully you have some basic tools available, and can give this a try.

Place the rifle in a gun vice and get it level. Generally I do it with a small (6" level) placed on a flat surface on the top of the receiver.

Once the rifle is level you can then use the level on the scope cap to get the scope level as well.

There are higher-precision ways to do this, but the method above should work with general workshop tools you might have available.

+ Reply to Thread

Ads