HKPRO Forums banner

New HK Owner from Connecticut

1K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  IMPD2079 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,

So yesterday, I purchased my first HK! In October, I got hurt at work and ended up losing a a portion of the tip of my dominate hand thumb. Sadly it was just enough to make it so that I could no longer hit the magazine release on any of my pistols, with the exception of my Sig P230, without serious manipulation of my hand. So for the past couple months I have been trying like hell to make my Glock work. Magazine extensions and such. Yesterday I decided to bring my Smith and Wesson to a local dealer and check out the VP9 along with other HKs and some Walthers. After reading so many raving reviews of the VP9 I really had my heart set on it. So I went there and they didn't have it. I checked out a P99 and said, "Well that's nice." Then I held a P2000SK and said, "Well I guess that last one was just ok." Minutes later I traded my MP9c in on the P2000SK. On my way home I swung by an out of the way, hole in the wall, gun shop/country store. I never saw HKs there so didn't stop there first but just wanted to swing in and check out what he had kicking around. To my amazement there was a VP9 in the case. After holding it and finding out what he would give me for my Gen 4 Glock 23, I muttered a little prayer that my wife wouldn't kill me when I got home and placed a deposit. So somehow in one day I ended up buying two. Plus is that I am still alive. ;-) I am itching like all hell to take them to the range and am really looking forward to meeting you all and learning while getting used to my two new firearms.

-Jeremy

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome Jeremy. So sorry to hear that your journey to the world of HK was such a traumatic one, but welcome. Congrats on your 2 acquisitions. I, too, have wanted a VP9 but the only time I've been able to actually hold one was the sample in HK's Gray Room...it didn't have a price tag on it, and I assumed it wasn't a souvenir...so I still haven't acquired one. Please let us know how your first trip to the range with your new HKs goes.

Mark

#3 ·
Thanks for the welcome! If the HKs shoot half as well as they feel, which I have a feeling they are going to do at least that, I know I am going to fall in love. I just have to get used to the new magazine release. One question that is probably asked a bit, from trying the P2000SK out at home, trying to get used to it, the release seems a bit hard to push. I am assuming like everything it needs its time to break in. Do most people move the release with their trigger finger? Any tips for a beginner with the release?

#4 ·
I just have to get used to the new magazine release. One question that is probably asked a bit, from trying the P2000SK out at home, trying to get used to it, the release seems a bit hard to push. I am assuming like everything it needs its time to break in. Do most people move the release with their trigger finger? Any tips for a beginner with the release?
Can't help you there...don't have a P2000SK. For me, its almost all about the legacy pistols. I do have some modern HKs, but as good as they are I'd still rather have a P9S in my hand. But, there are many folks here who bias toward the modern pieces, and I'm sure someone will offer you knowledgeable guidance on break-in and use.

Mark

#5 ·
Oh, you'll be over the moon firing them if you haven't yet... especially the VP9 since the SK is a bit wiley due to its size.

As for mag release, just do works best for you... there's really no "wrong" way.

#6 ·
Welcome fellow CT Brother! Good choice on your entry into HK firearms!

#8 ·
Welcome to the site and to your new Koch addiction. Make room for more... I use my thumb for the mag release but we each do what feels the most natural. Hopefully your thumb heals well. I own both the P2000sk v1 and the VP9. I installed the hk45c extended mag release on my sk and I like it better now. It was not designed for the sk but many have installed it and use it without issue. I'm sure you will learn to love both guns. The VP9 offers so many grip configurations you will surely find what is best for you and it is great out of the box. The sk is one of the best CCW firearms ever made in my opinion. I love both of them as I do all of my USPs, fs and compact.

#9 ·
Welcome to the forum Jeremy! You have no idea how closely this resembles my first HK buying experience. I could not for the life of me decide between the VP9 or the P2000SK...so I came home with both also! I too prayed my wife would be understanding...she is, well, okay with things lets say. Enjoy those two fine handguns, they are both a lot of fun to shoot, especially the VP9!!

#10 ·
Thank you all for the welcome. Also thank you for the advice on the different release estesmonkey. I'm not normally one to mod an out of the box firearm but after watching some YouTube videos and seeing pictures of the other release, I decided to try it out!

#11 ·
Hi Jeremy, welcome! I'm from CT as well, where about are you? The mag release is not "stiff" on any of my HK's, are you maybe pushing at an odd angle? I use my trigger finger and find that if I loosen my grip slightly and drop my hand back I get very good push on the button and a fast, positive return to my shooting grip. Not sure if that helps, but you may just need to get used to it. Many people unfamiliar hate them, but once you get used to it you will probably like it better than a traditional release.

#12 ·
Hey John thanks! I live around the Litchfield area, how about yourself? I have definitely been getting used to it. I have been practicing in the kitchen and have a good motion going. Also, the more I practice, the more I really love the pistol. Its ambidextrous controls have helped a ton with my thumb not being as useful as it once was. I end up using my firing hand's middle finger to drop the mag and the trigger finger to help my thumb release the slide. Is working out really good. All in all I am really liking the P2000SK. I can't wait to grab the VP9 in a few hours. Then hopefully range time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.