HKPRO Forums banner

Hello! New member from VA.

685 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Kost 
#1 ·
Hello, Recently purchased a variant 3 USP .45 and had several questions so I have been snooping around on the forum for a few months to try and find them. Figured I may as well sign up and delve into this wealth of knowledge! A few questions I had in particular (and I think ive found my answer anyway) was how common is it to see a USP with non matching serial numbers nand how does it affect value? My barrel and slide match, but the frame is different, I kind of figured the pistol may have had replacement parts or something mixed up at the armoury. ( I know the firearm once belonged to a LEO, not sure if it was a duty gun or not ) Im not personally worried about it because I dont plan on selling it anytime soon and the gun is an absolute shooter! I shot low and left to begin with but made a ragged hole at 10 yards. Realized the pumpkin on a post sight picture doesnt work with this pistol and ive enjoyed it ever since! Anyway, thanks for having me here, proud to be a member of the HK family.

#3 ·
Welcome from Northern Virginia! I've never seen a USP for sale with mismatched numbers but there are a couple ways it could happen. The first, as you suggested, was courtesy of the LEO arsenal maintenance. The goal there would be to just keep them running and not necessarily preserve the integrity of serial numbered parts. The second would be if this was a factory replacement. I saw an old LEO P9S that had a factory replacement receiver that used the caliber, a dash, and a 3-digit number as the serial (45-0xx). You don't indicate if the serial numbers are of the same format, or how close they are in a range. If the numbers are far apart, I would think that the newer (i.e., higher serial number) parts would be the replacement but it may not be possible to ascertain that. As it sits, unless it was a factory replacement with an unusual serial, it will never be a collectible pistol. It will be valued less than comparable USPs. But, it's still a USP and it still shoots great so ENJOY IT!

Mark

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.