New Member and Question About VP9 - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 27

Thread: New Member and Question About VP9

  1. #11
    Junior Member

    Join Date : Jan 2017
    Posts : 9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby D View Post
    I use 124 gr FMJ for my MP5, same for the VP9. Others may differ, and that is fine, I have good luck with the CCI blazer brass. I like the Freedom Munitions 124, it just takes so long to get it after I order it, sometimes upwards of a month, which, I don't understand, but whatever.

    I get the Blazer 124 gr 9mm from Natchez Shooters Supply www.natchezss.com frequently I order it on Monday and have it on the porch by Wednesday of the same week.

    Enjoy!
    Perfect thanks for the info. Any suggestions on lube and cleaning supplies? Like I said, this is my first firearm so I don't already have an existing supply of those sorts of things. Thanks as always!

  2. #12
    HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Bobby D's Avatar
    Join Date : Apr 2001
    Location : Greenfield, IN USA
    Posts : 840
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Default

    Wow! For a new guy you're awful pushy! JUST KIDDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Here again, others may differ, and that is fine, for me, for my .02, I use and like the stuff called " Fire Clean" there was a big hullaballew a couple of years ago, lawsuits and such saying that it was crisco. I didn't buy it then and I don't buy it now. For me, FireClean works superbly on my MP5 and other firearms. I've also used Hoppe's, Remington, Break Free, Slip 2000 is pretty good.

    I just got tired of the smell, and having to use multiple products to achieve the end goal, a clean, lubed firearm. I get that with FireClean, and only have to use one product.

    Again, others may and I'm sure will differ, that's fine, that is a big quality of hkpro, we can have differing opinions and thoughts, and that's not the end of the world.

    Harbor Freight tools can be you friend for scrubbing type brushes and the required range boxes / bags. You might also do a search for "Swab-it's" they do real well cleaning the bore, and last longer than q-tips for some of their other brushes.

    After you start to get comfortable with it, 500 + rounds, come to class. Best place going is Teufelshund Tactical, James is here on the forum Marine0303. You will not find better quality education when it comes to firearms and especially hk's anywhere, no BS. The guy is awesome.

    Have fun! welcome!
    Last edited by Bobby D; 01-11-2017 at 07:28 PM. Reason: Forgot a 0 in Slip 2000
    Bobby D
    NRA Endowment
    NRA Chief Range Safety Officer
    EMT-B
    KB9RDL

    "In einer Welt aus Kompromissen, einige Männer machen keine".

    "We bleed hk red!"

  3. #13
    Really liking this HK Stuff Member
    Llando88's Avatar
    Join Date : Mar 2015
    Location : Tampa FL
    Posts : 402
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default New Member and Question About VP9

    Quote Originally Posted by Betucker View Post
    Perfect thanks for the info. Any suggestions on lube and cleaning supplies? Like I said, this is my first firearm so I don't already have an existing supply of those sorts of things. Thanks as always!
    Warm welcome from Tampa. Glad to see another VP9 owner.

    You will get a range of inputs on cleaning and lube.

    Obviously the first step is to check Section 7 of your Operator's Manual. This states:

    "Cleaning rod with handle and patch holder

    Nylon toothbrush

    Bronze bristle bore brush (in the appropriate caliber)

    Cleaning patches (in the appropriate caliber)

    Lint-free wiping rag

    Cleaning solvent/lubricant

    Cotton swabs"

    HK does offer cleaning kits if you want to go that route. Certainly you can't go wrong there.

    Personally, I would skip the 'kits', and build a set of tools that works *for you*.

    Purely as an example, here is a compact inexpensive set of supplies I carry in a small zippered pouch, that I have found useful:

    Slip2000 EWL, 4 oz (*)
    Hoppes Bore Snake, 9mm
    Brass T-handle threaded cleaning rod, 6"
    9mm pistol Jag, threaded
    9mm nylon brush, threaded
    9mm cotton mop, threaded
    2" x 2" cotton patches
    Set of Tifton Picks
    Discarded credit card
    Discarded toothbrush
    Discarded kitchen hand towel
    Q tips
    Baby bottle brush
    Chopstick

    My routine is Barrel, frame, slide:

    1) Plug barrrel with a patch. Drop 10-15 drops of CLP into barrel. Set aside to soak.

    2) Wipe frame of visible deposits. Moisten a patch with CLP and wipe into cracks and crevices.

    3) Moisten a patch and using a pick, scrub deposits in frame. Wrap a moist patch around a credit card and clean frame channel. Use wet Q tips A/R. Use wet toothbrush on stubborn areas. Use a pick wrapped in a patch and clean extractor channel.

    Return to the barrel, and use barrel brushes, wet patches around the jag, then finally the Bore snake 5X and mop. Remove stubborn deposits A/R.

    Inspect the working parts with a Petzel AAA headlamp.

    Follow the Operator's Manual and relubricate and reassemble as per HK specifications.

    Every few range sessions I'll take my magazines apart. I use the chopstick to depress the catch, then release the floor plate. I use the baby bottle brush to wipe out the case, then I reassemble them dry.

    Good luck!

    Rich

    * There are many many good CLP products out there. I think I've decided it doesn't really matter (within reason) *what* you use, as long as you use *something*.
    Last edited by Llando88; 01-11-2017 at 07:47 PM.
    “Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.”
    - J.C. Watts Jr.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #14
    HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Bobby D's Avatar
    Join Date : Apr 2001
    Location : Greenfield, IN USA
    Posts : 840
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Default

    /\ /\ /\ What Rich said!

  6. #15
    Junior Member

    Join Date : Jan 2017
    Posts : 9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby D View Post
    Wow! For a new guy you're awful pushy! JUST KIDDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Here again, others may differ, and that is fine, for me, for my .02, I use and like the stuff called " Fire Clean" there was a big hullaballew a couple of years ago, lawsuits and such saying that it was crisco. I didn't buy it then and I don't buy it now. For me, FireClean works superbly on my MP5 and other firearms. I've also used Hoppe's, Remington, Break Free, Slip 2000 is pretty good.

    I just got tired of the smell, and having to use multiple products to achieve the end goal, a clean, lubed firearm. I get that with FireClean, and only have to use one product.

    Again, others may and I'm sure will differ, that's fine, that is a big quality of hkpro, we can have differing opinions and thoughts, and that's not the end of the world.

    Harbor Freight tools can be you friend for scrubbing type brushes and the required range boxes / bags. You might also do a search for "Swab-it's" they do real well cleaning the bore, and last longer than q-tips for some of their other brushes.

    After you start to get comfortable with it, 500 + rounds, come to class. Best place going is Teufelshund Tactical, James is here on the forum Marine0303. You will not find better quality education when it comes to firearms and especially hk's anywhere, no BS. The guy is awesome.

    Have fun! welcome!
    Haha sorry! Thanks for the additional info and being so helpful. I couldn't agree more about it being a good thing to have a variety of opinions from various HK owners. Thanks as always
    Quote Originally Posted by Llando88 View Post
    Warm welcome from Tampa. Glad to see another VP9 owner.

    You will get a range of inputs on cleaning and lube.

    Obviously the first step is to check Section 7 of your Operator's Manual. This states:

    "Cleaning rod with handle and patch holder

    Nylon toothbrush

    Bronze bristle bore brush (in the appropriate caliber)

    Cleaning patches (in the appropriate caliber)

    Lint-free wiping rag

    Cleaning solvent/lubricant

    Cotton swabs"

    HK does offer cleaning kits if you want to go that route. Certainly you can't go wrong there.

    Personally, I would skip the 'kits', and build a set of tools that works *for you*.

    Purely as an example, here is a compact inexpensive set of supplies I carry in a small zippered pouch, that I have found useful:

    Slip2000 EWL, 4 oz (*)
    Hoppes Bore Snake, 9mm
    Brass T-handle threaded cleaning rod, 6"
    9mm pistol Jag, threaded
    9mm nylon brush, threaded
    9mm cotton mop, threaded
    2" x 2" cotton patches
    Set of Tifton Picks
    Discarded credit card
    Discarded toothbrush
    Discarded kitchen hand towel
    Q tips
    Baby bottle brush
    Chopstick

    My routine is Barrel, frame, slide:

    1) Plug barrrel with a patch. Drop 10-15 drops of CLP into barrel. Set aside to soak.

    2) Wipe frame of visible deposits. Moisten a patch with CLP and wipe into cracks and crevices.

    3) Moisten a patch and using a pick, scrub deposits in frame. Wrap a moist patch around a credit card and clean frame channel. Use wet Q tips A/R. Use wet toothbrush on stubborn areas. Use a pick wrapped in a patch and clean extractor channel.

    Return to the barrel, and use barrel brushes, wet patches around the jag, then finally the Bore snake 5X and mop. Remove stubborn deposits A/R.

    Inspect the working parts with a Petzel AAA headlamp.

    Follow the Operator's Manual and relubricate and reassemble as per HK specifications.

    Every few range sessions I'll take my magazines apart. I use the chopstick to depress the catch, then release the floor plate. I use the baby bottle brush to wipe out the case, then I reassemble them dry.

    Good luck!

    Rich

    * There are many many good CLP products out there. I think I've decided it doesn't really matter (within reason) *what* you use, as long as you use *something*.
    Thanks for the welcome, I have family in Tampa. I definitely plan on reading through the manual several times to familiarize myself with the VP9. Also, thanks for the thorough reply and info regarding cleaning. I was thinking about getting the Nato Cleaning Kit from M-Pro 7 but maybe piecing it together is the way to go. Thanks!

  7. #16
    HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Bobby D's Avatar
    Join Date : Apr 2001
    Location : Greenfield, IN USA
    Posts : 840
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Default

    Seriously, think about checking out the guys at Teufelshund Tactical, they do a great job with educating how to get the most out of your firearm, and feel free to ask whatever, whenever!

  8. #17
    AGG
    AGG is offline
    Unrepentant HKHolic
    AGG's Avatar
    Join Date : Feb 2007
    Location : Alabama
    Posts : 24,580
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

    Default

    The gray model would have been my choice, as well!!!

    Tony

  9. #18
    Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

    Join Date : Apr 2013
    Posts : 989
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Betucker View Post
    Haha sorry! Thanks for the additional info and being so helpful. I couldn't agree more about it being a good thing to have a variety of opinions from various HK owners. Thanks as always


    Thanks for the welcome, I have family in Tampa. I definitely plan on reading through the manual several times to familiarize myself with the VP9. Also, thanks for the thorough reply and info regarding cleaning. I was thinking about getting the Nato Cleaning Kit from M-Pro 7 but maybe piecing it together is the way to go. Thanks!
    m-pro7 is good stuff, you wouldn't go wrong with that
    any basic pistol kit will do at first, and you can add things as needed
    you can buy one at wallymart or a sporting goods store or amazon for cheap with a CLP (cleaner,lube,protectant)

  10. #19
    Really liking this HK Stuff Member
    Llando88's Avatar
    Join Date : Mar 2015
    Location : Tampa FL
    Posts : 402
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Betucker View Post
    Thanks for the welcome, I have family in Tampa. I definitely plan on reading through the manual several times to familiarize myself with the VP9. Also, thanks for the thorough reply and info regarding cleaning. I was thinking about getting the Nato Cleaning Kit from M-Pro 7 but maybe piecing it together is the way to go. Thanks!
    No worries.

    On lube, last year I compiled a list sorted in price per ounce of common lubricants. Since you said you were new, it might be of interest:


    Slide Glide Lite, tube, 0.25 oz. $26.00 / oz

    Fireclean 2 oz. $9.97 / oz

    Slipstream Weapon Lubricant 2 oz. (est) $7.50 / oz.

    Rand CLP Nano 2 oz. bottle $6.57 / oz

    Wilson Ultima Lube Universal 2 oz. bottle $5.97 / oz

    Militec-1 4oz Lubricant $5.73 / oz

    M-Pro Gun oil LPX 2 oz. bottle $4.99 / oz

    Inox MX3 100 g (3.5 oz) small $4.28 / oz

    Froglube 4 oz. bottle $3.93 / oz

    Weapon Shield WS-4 4 oz. bottle $3.73 / oz

    Slip EWL 4 oz. $3.24 / oz

    Gunzilla 4oz twist top $2.99 / oz

    Royal Purple 02514 Synfilm High Performance Synthetic Air Compressor Lubricant 2 oz. $2.87 / oz.

    Breakfree CLP 4 oz. $2.82 / oz

    Lucas Oil 10006 Gun Oil 2 oz. $2.57 / oz

    Boeshield T-9 Waterproof Lubrication 4 oz. $2.50 / oz

    Ballistol Multi-Purpose Oil Aerosol 6 oz. $1.96 / oz

    Lucas Extreme Duty Gun Oil 16 oz. $1.87 / oz. (Brownell's, plus shipping)

    Hoppe's No. 9 Lubricating oil, 2 1/4 oz. $1.55 / oz

    Tri-Flow Superior Lubricant Drip-Bottle, 6 oz. $1.50 / oz

    Rem oil Gun Lubricant Aerosol Can 10 oz. $1.16 / oz

    3 in One PTFE Lubricant, 4 oz, Lowe's $0.99 / oz

    WD-40 Multi-use Spray 16 oz. $0.87 / oz

    Mineral Oil USP Vi-Jon 16 oz. $0.51 / oz

    Mobil 1 10w-40 32 oz. $0.50 / oz

    Home Depot Husky Air Compressor Oil, 16 oz bottle $0.16 / oz

    Canola oil, Crisco pure, 48 oz. $0.06 / oz

    Distilled Water, Deer Park, 6 x 1 gallon $0.03 / oz

  11. #20
    Junior Member

    Join Date : Jan 2017
    Posts : 9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby D View Post
    Seriously, think about checking out the guys at Teufelshund Tactical, they do a great job with educating how to get the most out of your firearm, and feel free to ask whatever, whenever!
    Will do, would definitely be a great investment in the future thanks for the recommendation!

    Quote Originally Posted by AGG View Post
    The gray model would have been my choice, as well!!!

    Tony
    Great minds think alike ;)

    Quote Originally Posted by macsak View Post
    m-pro7 is good stuff, you wouldn't go wrong with that
    any basic pistol kit will do at first, and you can add things as needed
    you can buy one at wallymart or a sporting goods store or amazon for cheap with a CLP (cleaner,lube,protectant)
    Good to know! Thanks for the info and explanation of the CLP.

    Quote Originally Posted by Llando88 View Post
    No worries.

    On lube, last year I compiled a list sorted in price per ounce of common lubricants. Since you said you were new, it might be of interest:


    Slide Glide Lite, tube, 0.25 oz. $26.00 / oz

    Fireclean 2 oz. $9.97 / oz

    Slipstream Weapon Lubricant 2 oz. (est) $7.50 / oz.

    Rand CLP Nano 2 oz. bottle $6.57 / oz

    Wilson Ultima Lube Universal 2 oz. bottle $5.97 / oz

    Militec-1 4oz Lubricant $5.73 / oz

    M-Pro Gun oil LPX 2 oz. bottle $4.99 / oz

    Inox MX3 100 g (3.5 oz) small $4.28 / oz

    Froglube 4 oz. bottle $3.93 / oz

    Weapon Shield WS-4 4 oz. bottle $3.73 / oz

    Slip EWL 4 oz. $3.24 / oz

    Gunzilla 4oz twist top $2.99 / oz

    Royal Purple 02514 Synfilm High Performance Synthetic Air Compressor Lubricant 2 oz. $2.87 / oz.

    Breakfree CLP 4 oz. $2.82 / oz

    Lucas Oil 10006 Gun Oil 2 oz. $2.57 / oz

    Boeshield T-9 Waterproof Lubrication 4 oz. $2.50 / oz

    Ballistol Multi-Purpose Oil Aerosol 6 oz. $1.96 / oz

    Lucas Extreme Duty Gun Oil 16 oz. $1.87 / oz. (Brownell's, plus shipping)

    Hoppe's No. 9 Lubricating oil, 2 1/4 oz. $1.55 / oz

    Tri-Flow Superior Lubricant Drip-Bottle, 6 oz. $1.50 / oz

    Rem oil Gun Lubricant Aerosol Can 10 oz. $1.16 / oz

    3 in One PTFE Lubricant, 4 oz, Lowe's $0.99 / oz

    WD-40 Multi-use Spray 16 oz. $0.87 / oz

    Mineral Oil USP Vi-Jon 16 oz. $0.51 / oz

    Mobil 1 10w-40 32 oz. $0.50 / oz

    Home Depot Husky Air Compressor Oil, 16 oz bottle $0.16 / oz

    Canola oil, Crisco pure, 48 oz. $0.06 / oz

    Distilled Water, Deer Park, 6 x 1 gallon $0.03 / oz
    Wow thanks for the breakdown and definitely helpful! Anybody ever use Distilled water haha?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links

 
 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •