Saga of the monster trigger
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Saga of the monster trigger

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Saga of the monster trigger

Newbee ; Saga of the monster Trigger Pull (P2000 V3)

Okay ... in the interest of full disclosure, let me say that while I don't WORSHIP at the church of John Browning, I HAVE been known to make frequent donations to his legacy- the 1911.

However , a recent trade acquisition has blasphemed dogma, risked sacrilege and had me dry fire ring 24 hr TV talking heads all hours of the night - with an HK P2000 V3.

OMG - At first I thought the German engineers musta had former lives with the Gestspo. The DA was torture, there's just no other word for it.

What sadist in their right mind would impose a 300lb trigger pull? Are Europeans gorillas in disguise? Are they aware some of us snowflakes have desk jobs?

But with dogged determination I vowed to wear out that damn hammer before admitting whimpy defeat.

A Thousand or so pulls later ( God only knows the real #)
    Eureka ! Draw , Presentation, aim & pull - smooth & steady.

Follow up SA shots rapid, quick reset fluid,

What I love :
    This gun fits my hand Sights line up as easy as pointing out the milkshake I want, Smooth edges, great fit & finish, light weight easy to carry gun. I like the SA pull, reset , & snap at the wall. Flawless operation.

What I hate ( well , dislike greatly..) : the long gorilla DA. Yes I can now do it. Yes I can be accurate with it. Even fast. But that said ....

I'm still gonna try out a 10 lb spring. If that gives me any light hammer strikes - even 1 in a 1,000 d rds, I'll go to the 12 lb.

I know- I know , practice, practice, practice, then
    Practice some more.

And yes,,I truly believe that , and do it , but in my heart of hearts I KNOW this gorilla DA can be fixed. And to make a truly good pistol great , that's just what I'm a-gonna do.

Wish me luck ...

Sent from my iPhone

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That's a great story! My first HK was a USP40 V1, and the DA pull was monstrously long and hard. And like you, practice, practice, practice I did until I got the hang of it. Now, I shoot all my DA/SA pistols in DA mode about 33% of the time, but unlike you, I do enjoy it. Using DA, has really improved my shooting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Good luck!

I gave up and took the easy route, converted 3 of my DA/SAs to lite LEMs, then sent 2 of those to Lazy Wolf Guns for trigger jobs and reset reductions.

Chuck
    "Might does not make right, but it sure makes what is"

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Welcome to the forum. I like da/SA guns for carry, but that is me. The p2000 is designed as defensive and combat weapon, not strictly a target shooter. Don't expect a trigger to make 1" groups at 25 yards. If you dislike the da that much, convert it to LEM.

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

LEM is the way to go, unless you want a safety with decocker....I use my finger as a safety
    VP9 - all 4 of them :-)
    HK45 V1 German built
    HK45 V7 US built
    HK45 V1 US built
    HK45C V7 OD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for the encouragement & replies. Thousands of rounds with excellent 1911's conditioned my autonomic response to light , crisp, & almost flawless triggers. I'm not a target practice kind of guy, but more a run & gun, point shooti & quick draw fan boy. Static painfully slow shots at paper bulls eyes bore me to tears & has not been particularly useful to me in mastering a particular gun.

My quirkiness requires a case of ammo expended in a variety of situations before I feel " wedded" to a new shooter. Many pistols have found new homes befor the 1K mark. But those that stay with me get used hard & frequently.

So far , I like the P2K but don't luv it. And it's only the trigger and only the DA pull. The take up or travel for a defensive pistol is fine. I'm plenty fast enough for dbl & triple taps. This one is a 40 cal. & currently the only 40 I own. Been partial to 9 mm & 45's in the last few years - but I'm warming to having another 40. The round does have its perks. I've always appreciated the speed of the 40 relative to grains/size - top notch penetrator.

I'll let ya know how it goes. ..
    One things for sure , I can't wear this damn thing out - even with 40's. It's built like a tank !

AGG
    Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)

Welcome to the site, congratulations on the acquisition, and thanks for the report!!!

Tony

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quick update. Replaced hammer spring with a 10lb wolf ) I got the 12lb as well for back-up). Dry fire / DA pull much improved. I hope to hit the range this week and put down a variety of rounds. I'll keep track of what I use & how it works for the ammo I can find.

My intention is 500+ rounds w/o a light primer strike. I'll let ya know what my range time yields.
    Probably will not carry unless I can assure myself that there will be no issues with my carry ammo- which will be Federal 180gr HST. If I can get through 100+ rds of that & 500+ of a variety of 180gr ball w/0 problems, I'll feel confident in the spring.

If not , I'll put in the 12lb & do it all again.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Retwolf View Post
    Quick update. Replaced hammer spring with a 10lb wolf ) I got the 12lb as well for back-up). Dry fire / DA pull much improved. I hope to hit the range this week and put down a variety of rounds. I'll keep track of what I use & how it works for the ammo I can find.

My intention is 500+ rounds w/o a light primer strike. I'll let ya know what my range time yields.
    Probably will not carry unless I can assure myself that there will be no issues with my carry ammo- which will be Federal 180gr HST. If I can get through 100+ rds of that & 500+ of a variety of 180gr ball w/0 problems, I'll feel confident in the spring.

If not , I'll put in the 12lb & do it all again.
    i haven't had any problems with light primer strikes with factory ammo and the 10 lb hammer spring
    a few light strikes with reloads using CCI primers, though

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well, that's encouraging. I don't re load , & tend to favor the major brands ,so if they work I'll be good to go.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links