HKPRO Forums banner

Front night/glow sight only, and standard non-glow on the rear?

• Like the idea

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • Don't like the idea

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Neutral

Votes: 1 16.7%

Night sights, front only

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  MueveloNYC 
#1 ·
I've been thinking of installing night sights on my HK to be used for self defense.

For self defense, I've been taught to acquire a site picture of the target, and aim with the front sight.

MadMax2012, in this topic, referred an interesting point: "Some studies found that low light shooting with night sights slows rounds down range because the user is attempting to line up the glowing sights (and losing focus on the target) rather than just shooting (albeit shooting without a proper sight picture)."

This gave me an interesting thought and question...
To reduce the distraction of the rear sights that MadMax2012 brought up, why not only install a single night sight on the front sight? Then standard non-glowing rear sights?

The logic is this:

Glowing front sights would then focus the attention on the front sight and the target. This would reduce the distraction of having the rear sights glowing and the user trying to line up for the aim.

As for the rear sights not glowing during the night...if I need much more aiming accuracy, I perhaps shouldn't be pulling the trigger without better lighting.

Thoughts and opinions?

Jake

See less See more
#2 ·
Honestly after talking with retired NYPD officers, almost all will say the same thing. In a self defense situation, the perp is usually less than 18 feet away, and you have rougly than 2 seconds to react, draw, and fire, let alone really aim. (if they rush you, in the first second they will be rougly 10 feet or less away from you) The officer who taught me defensive shooting showed me how to draw and fire using your finger like you are pointing your finger at the aggressor to establish aim, then to squeeze to shoot at the center of mass.

However, it's a good idea to have a stronger front sight for target shooting reasons. Follow up shots will be faster to acquire in theory.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.