+ Reply to Thread

Thread: ? Ringed Barrel ?

Very Senior Member

Default ? Ringed Barrel ?

How does one tell if a barrel has been ringed? I just got a used gun and the bore looked nice and shiny. As I was passing a patch on a rod I noticed a resistance area mid barrel. After more cleaning and alot more powder and copper than visually obvious, I began to feel almost a "gap" area on forward push and resistance on easing the patch back. This area remained heavily dark on patches, even after I was sure the barrel proximal and distal was spotless. Could this be an area of heavy corrsion,pitting,ring,??? How can you tell? any ideas greatly appreciated.

Unrepentant HKHolic

A ringed barrel is easily eyeballed. That is the impact area of a second bullet striking a bullet stuck in the barrel.

Unfortunately, it is becoming more common as more people use Winchester White Box 9 mm bulk and turn to reloading due to the economy.

If you're turning up dirty patches in a barrel that seems clean it's possible someone just kept shooting a damaged barrel and it may have actually filled the ring up... but man, that's a stretch.

A ringed barrel will actually LOSE resistance where the ring is and then increase back to normal once you get past it. If you're all of a sudden hitting more resistance then it eases back up, it may be corroded or spalled in that spot and crap abraded off the bullet at that point making the barrel tighter. Bad news will be, you will never be able to keep it clean, it will always collect crap at that point.

Very Senior Member

Thanks. That helps alot. It definitely does not lose resistance. I suspect it maybe a small spot of corrosion. As long as its safe to shoot I think I'll probably hold of on changing barrels. I'm taking it to a gunsmith tomorrow. I work at a hospital and I thought about asking one of the ENT's to run a small-caliber, pediatric fiberoptic laryngoscope down to see exactly what it was.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Videotape it! That would be cool to see!
    History is not happenstance, it is conspiratorial: carefully planned and executed by people in power.

Very Senior Member

Well we took a look with the flexible fiberoptic laryngoscope. There was an excess of powder/lead build-up under the gas block around the gas port holes. After 45 minutes more scrubbing the resistance went away.

+ Reply to Thread

Links