+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Q&A with HK-USA's President

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Default Q&A with HK-USA's President

This afternoon, I got to spend a few hours with my friend Wayne Weber, who just happens to be the president of HK-USA. HKPRO Premium Partner members were given a chance to list questions they'd like answered, and Mr. Weber was kind enough to oblige.

Nothing in this post is meant to represent a direct quote from HK-USA. I took shorthand notes on my iPhone, so any miscommunication or errors are mine alone.

First, most of the pistol related information has been posted on my website already.

Other topics discussed:

MR556/MR762: The plan is to have the gun in 1Q10. HK-USA is working to build the gun with the requisite number of US parts without the price skyrocketing. MSRP is undetermined at this time. Both 16" and 20" variants are expected. There are no plans to make the rifles in any calibers other than 5.56 and 7.62 at this time. One HKPRO member asked if HK-USA would consider a group buy. The answer is yes! We just need to place an order for a minimum of 500 guns.

.22's: HK has licensed Umarex to produce .22-cal versions of the 416, MP5, and MP7. At least some of these should be on display by SHOT Show in January 2010. It has not yet been determined which models will be released first.

"New" P7?: Many members wanted to know if HK had any plans to make a modernized version of the P7. The answer is no. There isn't adequate demand given the price, and the cost to manufacture cannot be reduced due to the nature of the design. There are no plans to produce P7 variants in the future.

Other domestic production?: Someone asked if HK-USA would be building US versions of the 89/91/93/94. The answer is no.

Lawsuits: A few people wanted to know why HK-USA recently began going after clone makers. First, there is a major intellectual property issue involved. Second, HK is planning to license certain things to other companies (e.g., the Umarex .22's) so getting control over their intellectual property is very important. You don't see people making clones of Glock 18s or Benelli M4s, after all. Third, HK was getting inundated with Customer Service issues based on clones. For example, they have received multiple GSG5s at their shop for repair!

What is the most important HK ever?: G3, because it put the company on the map and led the way for everything else. Within the last 15 years, the USP because it catapulted HK into the US handgun market in a major way.

What is your favorite handgun?: P7M10 prototype

What is your favorite rifle?: G3K due to its power, accuracy, size, and overall versatility

What is the coolest HK thing you've ever seen?: The G11. Wayne actually began his involvement with HK years ago while still in the USAF during the G11's evolution ... in fact, he told me that if you look on p251 of the HK history book, you'll see a picture of him there in the G11 section. Free pistol-training.com baseball hat to the first person who posts that photo in this thread!

What are HK-USA's plans regarding the US commercial market?: HK-USA is planning to improve its infrastructure, including adding about 5,000 square feet of more space to the Columbus GA facility and adding more staff. The company is continuing to address complaints about Customer Service, but Wayne was able to rattle off the names of many of HK-USA's Customer and Technical Service people with great praise for each of them. HK-USA is moving toward a larger corporate presence in the US to include stronger relationships with established partners.

Something only an HK nut would appreciate: The P11 has just been officially declassified.
    --
    Train hard & stay safe!
    Todd Louis Green
    pistol-training.com
    Because I don't suck, and HK doesn't hate me.

Unrepentant HKHolic

Straight talk. Thanks for your time and effort.

Disappointing answer about the 90 series, but that's life.

Really liking this HK Stuff Member

HK MP5 and MP7 in 22lr.....NICE!!!!!! A real HK!!!!

Bo
    HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    Something only an HK nut would appreciate: The P11 has just been officially declassified.
    I guess that means I can finally post a pic of my P11 dart. I will dig it up and post soon.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER

He's on p205 in my book. The one standing with Weber on his name tape.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER

A .22LR MP5...so what's the chance it will be compatable with a registered sear lower?

Count me in for the group buy. Now we only need 499 more people!!!

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER

Quote Originally Posted by mcracer82 View Post
    Count me in for the group buy. Now we only need 499 more people!!!

Make that 498. I'm in and have credit card standing by. I don't even care what I am on the list for. I want the MR556, MR762, and the Umarex MP7, MP5 and 416(wouldn't that be a MR22). I wanted a MP7 so bad I almost bought an airsoft copy. Sure glad I didn't do that one now. I can say a 22mag would be cool for that one. Umarex did a pretty good job on the Colt, besides the look of the mag. I wonder if the serial number will have a prefix.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Quote Originally Posted by IMTHESKI View Post
    201, 205, whatever. You still win a hat.

PM me your shipping address and I'll get it out to you in about a week, as I'm out of town 20-24 Jul for a class at USTC.

I'm 497 for a MR762 and Umarex MP7-22LR.

WHOO-HOO!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Links