+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: HK Stippling - MP5 UMP HK53 MP5K G36 USP USC SL8 SP89‏

Default HK Stippling - MP5 UMP HK53 MP5K G36 USP USC SL8 SP89‏

Okay so the stippling of firearms or accessories isn't anything new (and there are other threads about it), but I was surprised that it's application on HK's wasn't more prevalent. Especially considering when these weapons are employed in maritime environments. The positive control offered by this modification is extremely substantial, even when wearing gloves (to include wet ones). I've been stippling some of my firearms for quite some time and thought I would share. The process is very time consuming and you must have large amounts of patience, concentration and attention to detail. The process typically consumes at least an hour on just a MP5 type lower grip housing.

I use a standard soldering iron and ground the tip to the desired shape. Each divot is methodically done by hand in a tight overlapping completely random pattern that utilizes the heat generated to melt the area as I go. The motion of your hand is similar to that of a tattoo gun. I experimented with various patterns but none of which I believe offered the practical benefits or aesthetic value of the technique that essentially looks and feels similar to "plastic grip-tape." I have seen other examples where guys have just divoted dots, or burnt large lines that look similar to bark. I've also seen wood burning kits being employed that the user can select various tips to make certain patterns. Most of which is just user preference. But again, the results I feel seem to offer the most benefits and aesthetic value is the technique I described which in the end looks and feels like grip tape.

Anyways, here is a sampling of some of the mods I've done to some of my SBR clones, and some that are in progress. I have also been chopping down and stippling the Knight's Armament (KAC) Vertical Foregrips as well. Shortening them, especially on the MP5 types helps to keep them out of the way when conducting mag changes. Note, on the USC I dyed it black originally, then stippled it, and then had to dye it again.

USC to UMP Conversion in the works (Forend and Pistol Grip Stippled)

USP Tactical (Pistol Grip Stippled)

V53 (KAC Panels, KAC VFG, Pistol Grip Stippled)

CA89 (KAC Panels, KAC VFG, Pistol Grip Stippled)

CA89K-40 (VFG, Pistol Grip Stippled)

SL8 to G36C conversion in the works (Pistol Grip Stippled)
    Last edited by genofromreno@hotmail.com; 12-22-2009 at 09:57 AM.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER

Those look really nice; though I'm not that brave. You did a great job.

Best,

TC

LEO
    HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER

How long did it take?

Pain By Steel Rain

I have a tutorial on how to do this on ARFCOM. It's not hard at all, I've just never felt the need to do it on my HK's. Well, except for a G36 handguard.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=19&t=261758

LEO
    HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER

It looks nice from a distance.. but up close you can see it was done by hand and not appealing to me. I could NEVER do that to my gun. ;o)

mp
    Very Senior Member

Those look nice. do you offer this as a service?

Also, can you explain your process on coloring in the engraving? I need to fill in same safe/semi engravings on an AR15 lower. Thanks.
    RLTW!

Desperately Needs Treatment

Quote Originally Posted by mp View Post
    Those look nice. do you offer this as a service?

Also, can you explain your process on coloring in the engraving? I need to fill in same safe/semi engravings on an AR15 lower. Thanks.
    http://hkpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71848

HKPRO Professional

Looks very nice!

Banned

I would be interested in having one of my lowers done. How much would you charge?

Quote Originally Posted by trek45 View Post
    That looks awesome! Do you think you can get a closer shot of the stippling? Like zoomed or macro or something?

Trek45,
    Here are some close ups, it's not the best camera, but if I quit spending so much on guns I might end up buying a better camera! I hope this helps to show you some more of the detail. Geno

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links