+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Any new MR556 owners have a review/field report yet? DCDreamboat

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

DCDreamboat,

Thanks for the pics. I 'd also echo a request to see the barrel profile underneath the rail as well as pics of both sides of the bolt.
    My mission: To convert every HK USP, HK45, and HK45 Compact shooter on the planet to Variant 9. It will serve as a stop gap until all realize the clear superiority of the P30LS 9mm!

Quote Originally Posted by dcdreamboat View Post
    ...I have NEVER seen another AR-15 style rifle with a better finish. This rifle BEATS THE $#!T out of the KAC SR-15. It CRUSHES the SR-15. That's right I said it!

I held the SR-15E3 at the shop and ran some drills with it, and the upper/lower play was still there.

That's a bold statement that the MR556 crushes the SR-15, especially since it seems you came to that conclusion heavily influenced by superior fit/finish & lack of upper/lower receiver play on the HK (both of which don't really effect accuracy or reliability). I've played around with my buddies SR15 and it is indeed a well thought out rifle. It's also VERY light and well balanced.

How do you find the MR556 to balance? Since I'm not in infantry or law enforcement an extra pound is not that big a deal to me as long as it balances well.

Once again thanks for the pics/review, my credit card is starting to itch...

And why would the SR-15 be better than the H&K MR series rifle??, sure the weight is not the issue here?

Norlyx, I don't want to hijack the thread into an MR556 vs SR-15 debate, as that was not my intent. I'll just say they are both excellent rifles but neither is perfect and I don't see one being clearly superior to the other. Each has just a slightly different feature set. Now, if the MR556 came with a lighter profile chrome lined barrel and the longer IAR rail, I'd preach it's accolades from the mountaintop...

Very Senior Member

Great pics! Could you take some of the bolt carrier both sides?

Very Senior Member

Thanks for the pics and reviews..

10lbs is completely over-kill for a 5.56mm rifle IMO.

Weird. For some reason, the lower looks more purpley in the pics than the upper. I'm not sure why that's happening. The upper and lower are a PERFECT HK black color match. Any ideas? These are iPhone 4 pics with HDR setting on. Maybe that's what causes it. I'll get my girlfriend's Digital SLR pics of it and put those up later this week.
    Scared me! Thanks for the updates as I, like so many others, am still impatiently awaiting my rifle that I have owned for over a year but never seen...
    Front sight, press, front sight.

-Recon by Fire

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER

You can probably tell that I had fun with this post. As soon as I get the other high res pics off my girlfriend's camera, I'll post some pics of the groups!
    @dcdreamboat:Could you please comment on whether or not your MR556 has the translucent substance around the block which houses the handguard's retaining screw? If you didn't see in my initial post, when I went to the shop to make a downpayment for my MR556 (xxx182), I noticed that there was what appeared to be a translucent substance (much like a heavy grease) around the block on the bottom rail where it contacts the handguard. Thinking it was grease, I tried smudging it but it was solid, which made me think it was instead a weld of some type.

Do you see anything similar on your MR556? Thanks for your time.

PS. Really looking forward to some sort of RANGE REPORT!!
    "The solution to a given problem is found not by answering a question
    correctly, but rather by posing the correct question." ~Me

Live free or Die

HKPRO Professional

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Rose View Post
    That's a bold statement that the MR556 crushes the SR-15, especially since it seems you came to that conclusion heavily influenced by superior fit/finish & lack of upper/lower receiver play on the HK (both of which don't really effect accuracy or reliability). I've played around with my buddies SR15 and it is indeed a well thought out rifle. It's also VERY light and well balanced.

How do you find the MR556 to balance? Since I'm not in infantry or law enforcement an extra pound is not that big a deal to me as long as it balances well.

Once again thanks for the pics/review, my credit card is starting to itch...
    For Hunter and the like, I would like to throw my 2 cents in for the record.

While I don't have actual operational experience with the new MR556, I have run a few different 416's and uppers as well as an SR15 as my patrol/deployment rifle for SWAT. And while I do recognize that my lack of hands on experience does taint this comparison, my experience with it's forefather (the 416) and the fact that a very small percentage of potential MR556 buyers have not had the pleasure of handling a 416; should make this a valid comparison if the MR556 is even remotely close to the 416.

I began on the team with a 416 upper sitting on a Colt lower. And not wanting my precious, multi-thousand dollar upper to be taken and molested in the event of a use of deadly force issue, I opted to buy a KAC SR15 E3. After 9 months, I returned back to the 416/Colt combo, but with some modifications learned from my experience running the KAC.

I will say that the SR15 is one of the finest DI guns available (along with the LMT MRP and an appropriately accessorized Colt). While many fawn over the ambi-"everything" (selector, bolt release, mag release) on the gun, I honestly feel all the "bells and whistles" are unnecessary. While I have found that operating the bolt release with the trigger finger can offer a faster reload, I honestly think that the presence of the bolt release in such close proximity to the mag release on BOTH sides may offer the opportunity for unwanted manipulation of the mag release under combat/stress conditions. These fine switches (now 2x that of a standard AR) are not a good combination for inevitable lack of fine motor skill that comes with these situations. I will admit that I have since added and ambi-selector to my Colt since the selector is all by its lonesome and this aids in non-strong side shooting.

I also must question the use of any "improved" bolt system. Whether the E3 or LMT "enhanced" bolts offer much to most shooters is another debate. What I do know is that any serious shooter will insist on stowing a spare bolt on the gun or in their gear. These specialty bolts will almost certainly be significantly more expensive......if you can get them at all. Even running a 416, I have my spare bolt and parts....at a premium. This is one area where the guys running stock guns have the leg up: spare parts....and for the price some of us are paying for our premium guns, these cats can get 2 AR's.

And while the SR15 has several improvements, it still is subject to many of the shortcomings of a standard AR. I am not a fan of any gas block that is affixed with a clamp or set screws. I want something that is permanent, and these things will eventually work loose (at the worst times). The HK gas block is a work of art and second only to that of a Colt FSB in its permanence (if you've never tried to remove one, it can be a daunting task). And the SR15 is still a DI gun. While I don't wish to spawn everyone's favorite debate, the fact remains that DI guns run hotter and dirtier in the upper/BCG area; thus, more maintenance is required by the user to prevent malfunction. Note that I did not say one malfunctions more or less......most malfunctions are the result of human action.....or lack there of.

Now, I will say that the SR15 does have the edge on the HK's in terms of weight. And this is vs. that of the "lighter" 416...I have wondered what kind of a pig the MR556 is. Weight is an issue for anyone running a rifle for any marginally serious purpose: LE, Mil, hunting, training, etc. That said, if carrying a better piece of gear means only doing a few more reps in the gym, I will pay that price any day of the week. Thankfully, accessory selection can make all the difference (Micro T1 vs. CompM4 or PMags vs. HK steel). I also opted for a padded sling upon my return to the heavy 416. Also, if you insist on running the HK diopter sights on an HK rifle, your co-witness options will forever pale in comparison to that of a KAC or standard AR. Along those lines, your spare parts options and servicability for the KAC are much better as well.

Now, I know what some of you are saying: "But what about price?" The MR556 is a new product.....give it a while, it will come down. And the SR15 is still a $2000+ rifle! Let's not be coy and admit that KAC is in the same "Our stuff rocks, so cough it UP!" pricing arena as HK. Both companies make quality products. I have my fair share of KAC merchandise, and the KAC employees I have dealt with in the past are top notch. But lets be real here and look at the price of HK's "new" longer 416 rail vs that of a URX. Both are a hair under $500...which is just silly. The proprietary KAC wrench is another $260. And like HK, this is assuming you can find it in stock. Heck, either company will charge you $70 for a vertical fore grip.......I rest my case on the pricing issue.

And finally, when looking at these 2 guns, are you REALLY going to be pushing these things to their limits? I will admit that due to smart financial decisions and personal values, I am lucky enough to be a in a minority of those who are willing and able to spend this kind of money on gear that will be put through harsh conditions. My guns see -20 to 110 degree conditions, mud, dust, rain, snow, ice, and live out their life in the trunk of my car. And all this pales in comparison to those deployed in the harshest conditions overseas where they have no choice in what they are issued. I hope this helps in getting some 1st hand info on these 2 platforms.

Good luck, Shoot straight, and Stay Safe
    Last edited by pointblank4445; 02-25-2011 at 10:32 PM.

Very Senior Member

Like I said in another post, if I HAD to use a 16" barrelled DI gun, the KAC SR-15E3 would be it. It's just that I now have something so much better.

And that RANGE REPORT will be here Sunday night. I'm out of town this weekend, so look for it then!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Links