HKPRO Forums banner

Geissele HK416/MR556 14.5" rail on a 14.5 bbl

75K views 84 replies 36 participants last post by  DxTrEm3Fx 
#1 ·
Just recieved my 14.5” rails in a Sand Matte for the HK416 14.5" upper. Production batch should be ready in about 6 weeks and color options are Black and Sand Matte. A small batch of OD will only happen if there is demand for it. The other variation will be a 10.5" rail which I've seen and they look great on both 416 sized uppers. He said some will be available in a week.

So here she is out of the box. It includes the hand guard, two small rails, one longer rail, and counter sunk screws.

Inside job.

This rail feels natural to hold. Not only because it's narrower, but the sides and bottom are contoured smooth with slight convex, the concave channeling areas have a texture that feels much like wood grain. For a while I was wondering if I'd need to heat my own kydex hand guard grips or try some LaRue OBR side guards. But it really doesn't need it unless you are one of those anal people who don't want to ding up their rails against barriers and VTAC boards. BTW, I purposely banged the bottom area against my work bench a couple times and the anodizing didn't flinch. It's a durable finish.

I got a bunch of requests for weight comparison...

The stock rail weighs in at 12.5 oz. @ 9" length. That is about 1.4 oz per inch.

The Geissele 14.5" rail weighs 1.1 lbs. Which is about 1.2 oz per inch. That would mean the 10.5" rail will weigh about the same as the stock 9" rail.

I weighed the 3 rail adapters and screws. Together they weigh about 2 oz.

Lots of real estate...
Side view comparison...

Top view comparison...

Muzzle end...

Now to remove the pointless sling loops. At first I didn't like the idea of hacking up my 416 upper, but I use it in matches so it's not safe queen by any means.

I clamped an thick Xacto blade to use as a spacer guide so I wouldn't cut into the rest of the gas block.

Done.

The new rail slid on without a hitch. Just as snug as the stock rail to the bbl nut. The QD placement is near perfect (for me). Rotation is smooth. Rifle hangs freely.
I'm using a TacticalLink Convertible Sling. The 2-to-1 adapter is genius. But the sling itself doesn't flex enough for quick adjustments. I'm going to try and mod it to a Blueforce shortly.

Aside from add-on accessories, it's nice to start seeing major component options available for us. This rail and the Geissele 416-SSA trigger are ready to do some business...better business.

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
You evil sunuvabitch.........

So, the question is.....who do I have to blow? ....... ;-)

#9 ·
Badass Tommy!

This post has been deleted
#10 ·
Hope not. I am not a big fan of taking cutting tools to 3-4k uppers or parts of said upper.

#16 ·
I can understand why anyone wouldn't want to cut their sling loops. For me, I mentioned mine wasn't much of a safe queen. I actually use her in matches and range time fun. When I get my MR, I might replace the gas block on the 416 and restore it to collectable status, BUT another part of me loves this rail so much I may just leave her be and put another g-rail on the MR.

Once you get a hand on these rails, you'll see and feel that the quality is on par or better than HK, LaRue OBRs, Noveskes, etc. So all I can say is...the sucker just freaking melts in your hands, and that's just one of it's pluses. :)

#23 · (Edited)
Does anyone here use a Surefire can on their 416/556?

One member requested a head space measurement between the end of 14.5" rail and the end of the HK416 14.5" bbl. His concern is the can he saw was a FA556-212 mounted on a FH556-212A which the mount has a rounded section/spacer after the locking grooves. He remembers the can overlaps the grooves no more than 0.180 inch, which I believe can be achieved with a couple more of the SF spacers included with the FH.

Before I pull the MB off and throw on the FH556 for measurement, I was wondering if anyone here had specifics on the can overlap?

#27 ·
Just to confirm m4guru's mention on the Surefire 212 can, a member passed this info straight from SF:

I talked with a Surefire rep. The info i got. The FH556-212A has a build in spacer; the rounded section behind the locking grooves. It places the locking grooves further away from the rail. He said the suppressor does not overlap the barrel with the FH556-212A mount. The supressor overlaps the rounded section/spacer behind the locking grooves and not more than 0.170. With the muzzle brake the suppresor overlaps the barrel no more than 0.170 inch.

And I believe with the right shimming, the MB will work too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.