+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Buffer tube and Magpul ASAP

Default Buffer tube and Magpul ASAP

Hello everyone! Got 4 questions:
    1. is the MR223 A1 buffer tube commercial or mil-spec?
    2. Any particular things to be aware of in the buffer tube removal procedure?
    3. Do i need to change anything to fit the ASAP (- ASAP® - Ambidextrous Sling Attachment Point) onto the standard HK tube?
    4. Can i mount the regular mil-spec Brownells tube oh the HK and use the HK buffer, spring and the Magpul ASAP (anything else apart from the mil spec tube set i need?)?
    Thanks in advance for information!

HKPRO Professional

If the back end appears to be "slanted" it's commercial. Here's an example:
    HECKLER & KOCH HK 416 FACTORY BUFFER TUBE MR 556! : HK Parts at GunBroker.com
    You can see the back end is at a bit of an angle. The Mil-spec tubes are flat and square. I'm not sure about the MR223, but ALL of the MR556's are milspec (despite the title of that auction)

The HK buffer system will work fine with most Mil-Spec buffer tubes. I have been using 416 uppers on Colt lower for years and there are countless members here using HK uppers on non-HK lowers sucessfully.

I don't know about your ASAP sling plate as I don't like that area of the receiver as an attachment point, I imagine you'll have to disassemble the receiver extension (buffer tube) assembly. There ARE some other aftermarket attachments where you don't have to disassemble the weapon. If you do go this route, I have a post you may find helpful as it involves removal/reinstallation of the receiver extension:

MR556 Take-down pin removal

Thanks so much for the info! Am i getting you right - if i choose to remove the HK tube and replace it with a (lets say) Brownells mil-spec tube - it will fit? I got you right about the buffer and the spring, just wondering about the tube itself now.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER

To fit the ASAP plate you have to remove the buffer tube from the back of the receiver.
    HK 45 V7 Light LEM BC
    HK MR556 BB
    HK USPc .45 Stainless V7 Light LEM AK
    HK P2000SK V1 Light LEM AG
    HK USP 9mm V7 Match-Light LEM Hybrid BA
    HK P30 9mm V1 Light LEM BD
    PTR-91KF .308

Quote Originally Posted by Username View Post
    To fit the ASAP plate you have to remove the buffer tube from the back of the receiver.
    Yes, i understand that. But forget about the ASAP or other plates - just asking about other (non-HK) mil-spec tubes - will they fit into the back of the HK lower if i choose to replace the original one? :)

HKPRO Professional

Yes, it should fit. I've done it in reverse and used the MR556 buffer tube on a Colt receiver.

Quote Originally Posted by pointblank4445 View Post
    Yes, it should fit. I've done it in reverse and used the MR556 buffer tube on a Colt receiver.
    OK, thanks again! A little worried about unstaking that castle nut. Would Dremeling the fixing piece out be safer, you think?

HKPRO Professional

Quote Originally Posted by kibonge View Post
    OK, thanks again! A little worried about unstaking that castle nut. Would Dremeling the fixing piece out be safer, you think?
    Not really, no. You're going to be awfully close to the receiver and unless you're a Dremeling wizard, it would be way too easy to slip and mar the receiver. My dremeling is mediocre at best, so I found it best to use a punch. If you are replacing the current buffer tube and don't care about what happens to it, put the buffer tube in a vise via a barrel clamp. As I note in that post, the problem has to do with people not supporting the receiver.

I don't know how attached you are to the ASAP, but as I said earlier, there are mounts that secure to the same area and accomplish the same task, but don't require removal of the stock assembly.

For example:
    http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Tango...own%20pr-4.htm
    Last edited by pointblank4445; 09-30-2012 at 08:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pointblank4445 View Post
    Not really, no. You're going to be awfully close to the receiver and unless you're a Dremeling wizard, it would be way too easy to slip and mar the receiver. My dremeling is mediocre at best, so I found it best to use a punch. If you are replacing the current buffer tube and don't care about what happens to it, put the buffer tube in a vise via a barrel clamp. As I note in that post, the problem has to do with people not supporting the receiver.

I don't know how attached you are to the ASAP, but as I said earlier, there are mounts that secure to the same area and accomplish the same task, but don't require removal of the stock assembly.
    I assume you're speaking of something like this:
    AR-15/M16 ONE POINT SLING MOUNT - Brownells
    ?
    This one is fine, apart from the fact that you have to put the stock back 1 position for it to fit, which i dont like. :)
    Are there other mounts you know of?
    And with unstaking the nut - do you have to literally break of the little sticking out piece on the plate, or do you have to hit it a few times, to ensure the plate and the nut are not "stuck" together?
    Sorry, if I'm on you with so many questions... :)

HKPRO Professional

When you stake the castle nut, you are essentially pushing material from the backplate into the indent on the castle nut. You just need to drive that out to make the removal of the castle nut easier.

Yes, most of those options you and I listed may require you to run 1 position out.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Links